Newbie need help.Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed - you just may have to buy one each and judge for yourself:D I started with the orginal LM PST and had it for around 6 years or so. Not THAT long ago, I upgraded to the Wave II. It did many things a lot better. My primary uses were the pliers, screwdrivers. Recently, I acquired a couple of rental properties and of course, swapping out light switches, plugs, etc. I found that the Wave II, was actually a little cumbersome there. I needed something closer to the PST side. The Wave II is actually a lot larger. I was going to try a Vic Spirit, but I couldn't find one handy, but someone here mentioned a Paladin/SOG 525 (this one is targeted specifically to the electrical/electronics/telecomm field). Couldn't find one of those either, so I got the earlier model the PT510. This one earned it's keep right away:) Primary use was the pliers - the shape of the nose curled the wires for the switch posts way better than most pliers I've used. Cutters portion got the job done when I left my Klein in the other room....... Kleins were still better, though on the cutting and stripping part:) The Wave II still sits in my Maxpedition, though. I feel it's still a better general purpose multi tool. I've always used LM, but after using that PT 510, the urge to try one of the Vic tools is getting greater:) Sorta like when you buy an Inova X5 and then wonder "So....is Surefire really better? for the bucks?"

(edited for grammar)
- gord

I might be the "odd bird" out. I have multiples of both Victorinox SwissTools and Leatherman Waves (old and new versions). I just cannot decide between them, I guess. Being "name brand" doesn't matter as much to me as having a strongly made and durable tool, that should last and hang around for the duration of its warranty.

However, if I had to just choose one and buy one, I believe that I'd go with the Vic SwissTool, or it's smaller brothers, if those are made just as strongly and precisely as the original.

Finally, Leatherman has a 25-year warranty for its tools and Victorinox has a lifetime warranty for its products. I might not be around long enough for the Leatherman Waves that I own to have their warranties expire, but, with Victorinox, I know that their warranty will last just long enough.... ;)

GeoThorn

geothorn said:
I might be the "odd bird" out. I have multiples of both Victorinox SwissTools and Leatherman Waves (old and new versions). I just cannot decide between them, I guess. Being "name brand" doesn't matter as much to me as having a strongly made and durable tool, that should last and hang around for the duration of its warranty.

However, if I had to just choose one and buy one, I believe that I'd go with the Vic SwissTool, or it's smaller brothers, if those are made just as strongly and precisely as the original.

Finally, Leatherman has a 25-year warranty for its tools and Victorinox has a lifetime warranty for its products. I might not be around long enough for the Leatherman Waves that I own to have their warranties expire, but, with Victorinox, I know that their warranty will last just long enough.... ;)

GeoThorn[/QUOTE

Yep have to agree with you , Leatherman are ok but if i had to choose it would be Victorinox all the way , and yes the smaller Spirit is just as well made as its bigger brother the swisstool . just think of the Spirit as a lighter more casual EDC and the Swisstool as a SHTF musnt fail tool and then you will have everything you need :D

Dunc

My experience has been as follows:

From childhood I have considered a pocket knife as one of life's necessities, along with music and beer. My interest in them, however, was limited to what did the job at a price I could afford. My first knife, acquired at age 12, was a Boy Scout type that I carried 15 years (I'm not even sure of the brand name, likely Kamp King). I had no interest in knives as a subject, but I did like the multitool concept. After all, why would anyone settle for carrying just a knife blade in their pocket when the need could be just as likely that a screw needed tightening or a bottle opened?

Eventually, I learned of the Swiss Army Knife. It was clearly a superior alternative, so when time came the KK was replaced with a Wenger SAK. That was eventually stolen and replaced with a Vic Swisschamp. And that is what I carried for the next few years, conviced that this was the best possible EDC. Such was my bliss until 1996, when I became aware of the Leatherman concept.

On a weekend outing in a wooded area I was with a guy and his young son who were improvising equipment to do some fishing. From time to time, the fellow would flip out a little tool and extract a knife to cut something, or bend wire with pliers etc., and I got fascinated with it, just like earlier with a scout knife. It was my first look at a Leatherman, and I was hooked (sorry to report, that day the fish were not).

Not long after, I was alternating a Super Tool (original) with my Swisschamp, and often, when I carried one, wished I had the other. No question, the Vic had a higher quality of fit and finish and a greater assortment of gadgets, but Leatherman was more than adequate and in addition had larger, locking tools, square-cut screwdrivers, an excellent, well-dressed needlenose pliers and tough enough to pound nails. Human egineering was not up to the Vic standard, some operating features were awkward, but in time I got used to its "personality" and settled in with it. My peace of mind was disturbed, though. Now I had to make choices.

Then, Vic introduced the Swisstool. Had it been available when I was shopping, chances are I would have chosen the Swisstool over the Super Tool, but later, having been so well served by the Leatherman product, I felt no need for an "upgrade." However, I did recently replace the original with a Super tool 200 and coincidentally had an opportunity to purchase a Swisstool at a price I couldn't refuse. Therefore, I have been able, for the last month, to compare them on a day to day basis.

Since they are functionally equivalent, I simply alternate between the two from day to day. It is too early for final conclusions, but at this point I
believe that either would be a good choice, or possibly a Core, which seems an improved Super Tool.

Of this, more later.

ok than thx a lot for u guys

i have decided to go for victorinox
but still i need u guys to help me to choose which victorinox is the best for me
and also can someone give me the price range?
thx

Jose_Yoshiharu said:
ok than thx a lot for u guys

i have decided to go for victorinox
but still i need u guys to help me to choose which victorinox is the best for me
and also can someone give me the price range?
thx

Here are current retail prices for the SwissTool Line:

• SwissTool Spirit = $85.
  • SwissTool Spirit Plus = $107.
  • SwissTool Spirit Plus with Ratchet = $118.
  • SwissTool = $95. - $135. depending on model and accessories

Of course you can find them all for considerably less from many dealers and on eBay.

Jose_Yoshiharu,

You cannot go wrong ordering from Felinevet. I am in no way connected to him other than I am a very satisfied customer.

Have fun shopping!

Andy

felinevet said:
Here are current retail prices for the SwissTool Line:

• SwissTool Spirit = $85.
  • SwissTool Spirit Plus = $107.
  • SwissTool Spirit Plus with Ratchet = $118.
  • SwissTool = $95. - $135. depending on model and accessories

Of course you can find them all for considerably less from many dealers and on eBay.

Amazon my friends, safer and cheaper!!!

Try it.

wah
i stiil confuse about which victorinox i should go

i have looked http://www.swissarmy.com/multitools/Category.htm?category=swisstool&

because im looking for full size multitool
so i dont include spirit as my options

so it comes to 5 options
swisstool x
swistool black and white
swisstoll cs plus
swisstoll rs

are swisstool black and white completely the same, just different colour?
whats the difference between those cs, x, rs
i know someone has posted before
are the differences only that?
is there any swisstoll x plus?

Tango44 said:
Amazon my friends, safer and cheaper!!!

Try it.

No way. FelineVet has excellent prices, zippy quick service, and the best part is, the proceeds go to a very worthwhile charity.

- Tim

Jose_Yoshiharu said:
wah
is there any swisstool x plus?

Yes there is. It is a SwissTool X with the L-wrench and bit set which goes into a substantial leather case. In fact, it is the one I carry everyday. =)

Jose_Yoshiharu said:
wah
i stiil confuse about which victorinox i should go

i have looked http://www.swissarmy.com/multitools/...ory=swisstool&

because im looking for full size multitool
so i dont include spirit as my options

so it comes to 5 options
swisstool x
swistool black and white
swisstoll cs plus
swisstoll rs

are swisstool black and white completely the same, just different colour?
whats the difference between those cs, x, rs
i know someone has posted before
are the differences only that?
is there any swisstoll x plus?
The original SwissTool has:

- Pliers
- Screwdriver (2mm)
- Screwdriver (3mm)
- Wire cutter (for wire up to a hardness of 40 hrc)
- Screwdriver (5mm)
- Bottle opener
- Screwdriver (7.5mm)
- Large blade
- Serrated blade
- Metal file
- Metal saw
- Wood saw
- Reamer/punch
- Phillips screwdriver
- Chisel/scraper
- Strong crate opener
- Wire bender
- Wire stripper
- Wire scraper
- Wire crimper
- Can opener
- Ruler (9 inches)
- Ruler (230mm)
- Hard wire cutter
- Lanyard hole
- Easy kickback springs
- Lock release
- Stainless steel
- Comes with black nylon belt pouch
- Life time warranty

The SwissTool X has everything that the original SwissTool does, except the serrated blade has been replaced with scissors.

The SwissTool CS Plus has everything that the original SwissTool has, though the serrated blade has been replaced with scissors, and a corkscrew has been added. The "Plus" addition gives you:

- Bit wrench
- 5mm hex socket
- 4mm hex socket
- #0 pozidrive bit
- #1 pozidrive bit
- Bit Case
- 4mm flat head
- #2 Phillips head bit
- #8 torx bit
- #10 torx bit
- #15 torx bit

The SwissTool RS duplicates everything that the original SwissTool has, however, the serrated blade has been replaced with scissors and the metal file and metal saw have been replaced with a seatbelt/webbing cutter.

Yes, the "black & white" original SwissTools are exactly the same, except that one is polished stainless steel and the other is black anodized stainless steel. One is the epitome of reflectivity and the other is like a Black Hole.

---------------------

Hm, I think that researching this answer for you has been dangerous...that black anodized SwissTool looks really nice, and I already have a couple of the sparkling, shiny ones.... ;)

GeoThorn

Back