Newbie needs help (Buck/Strider in ATS 34?)

Hello! I've been looking in on the forums for a while now, and I think I'm finally ready to ask a few questions. Please excuse any ignorance on my part in asking these questions!! I really respect most of what I've seen here, and I'm hoping you can really help me with this!

I live in a place where I am not allowed to carry a fixed blade of ANY kind :( ! Otherwise, that's probably what I would carry. However, since that isn't a possibility, I've been looking to buy an Al Mar 2000 for general purpose. The question comes in when I need a back-up to that. What I'm looking for is something that might have more material in the tip (I'm a bit concerned about the tip on the SERE when it comes to hard use). So... I'm looking at maybe buying a Mini Buck/Strider. THIS is where the real questions come in.
I've heard great things about the Strider in BG 42, however I haven't heard too much about the ATS 34 model. Is it any good? I'm also looking for suggestions on blade shape. Should I get the Tanto, or the Spearpoint? What are the payoffs between the two blade shapes? I've heard that there's more utility in the Spearpoint, but is it redundant if I already have the AlMar 2k? Thanks for your help!

I'll give it a shot, and welcome!

The Buck/Strider in ATS-34 will be great. ATS 34 is good stuff, so don't worry about the steel.

As far as spear vs. tanto, that is kinda tough. The spear on the Strider is thick, so the tip strength should be great. I'd be tempted, though, to get the tanto, for the reasons you mentioned. Since you are carrying the SERE 2K, why nto carry something different. You will eb making your blade carrying more versatile, that way.

Good luck!

I have the large Buck Strider in ATS-34 and it is a great knife. I got the tanto point, I also have the AL Mar SERE 2000, and the tanto is something different.

I haven't seen the Buck Strider spear point, but the tanto version is extremely thick at the tip. If you are looking for something for hard use, and worried about breaking the tip the Buck Strider would be a good choice. I wouldn't worry about breaking the tip on this thing at all, and I tried out of curiosity. I was able to drive the knife into a 2x4 and pry out chunks with no damage to the tip. It is currently my hard use folder, and is holding up very well.

Erik

I've always heard that people here were really nice, and they ARE!!! Thanx for the quick replies, I really feel a bit better, but I'd be interested in as many opinions as there are out there! Say, does anyone know where I can get the Buck/Strider cheaply (well, not CHEAP, but you know) :)

Also, does anyone know if the warrantee on a Buck is still in place if someone were to buy a Used Buck/Strider? Thanx again!!:D

Back