• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Newbie needs recommendation

• Thread starter Thread starter -
  • Start date Start date
I have to agree with pk, once you get bitten by the bug there is no turning back. I started out with an Endura years ago. Nice knife, relatively inexpensive and talk about performance.... Ever since then I have been in search of the "perfect" knife. Believe me, I know that in reality no such animal exists as yet, however, there is such a thing as the perfect knife for you. It all depends on your tastes and needs.
I have to agree with the general consensus and say go with the Spydie. Once you try one get ready because one is "Never" enough.
Good luck and welcome to the family.

------------------
Norwegian Misfit

"For the word of GOD is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword...." Hebrews 4:12

Smokey Mountain Knife Works has the older Spyderco Enduras and Delicas for around or under $40. The Endura is a classic and my favourite Zytel knife. I like them better than the Ascent series and AUS-8 is not a bad steel. It's pretty darn good, I feel. And if you want better steel, take a look at the 98 versions.

My 2 cents. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

"10,000 Lemmings Can't Be Wrong!"

I have to agree with all the Spyderco boys but if you really have to stay within budget check out Kershaw. They make a lot of nice knives in all price ranges. Also I just picked up a Buck Odyssey for about $30. It has a ambidexterous one hand opening hole ATS 34 blade and a liner lock. It is a radical design for Buck and I really like it. Although I'm not a fan of the 420 they use in most of their blades if the knife will not see hard use check out the Buck single blade crosslocks. They are very comfortable in the hand and pocket using the clip and the action is very slick----I just wished they used a better steel.

phantom4

Also, keep checking the "for sale" posts. I think that most people who sell here keep their knives in good shape, and if they don't, at least they're honest about it. Lately, there have been some good deals.
pk

Talisker,

Attempted to email you, but your email address is not available in your profile. I have 2 knives for sale that might fit your bill: a Benchmade Ascent and a Benchmade Panther. Let me know via email if interested.

Thanks,

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
cdfleischer@yahoo.com

"10,000 Lemmings Can't Be Wrong!"

Another voice for the Spyderco. I carry the Spyderco Delica with a partially serrated edge. It has an AUS-8 stainless steel blade and opens very easily with one hand. You can get one at Smokey Mountain Knife Works for $25.

I work with computers, do handywork around the house, and gardening. The knife gets used regularly for opening boxes, cutting straps, small wire, and rope/string, as well as minor pruning of new sprouts on my fruit trees and vegetable plants. I have no complaints and the knife keeps a nice sharp edge on it.

To keep it sharp, I recommend that you obtain some type of sharpening stone or device for your knife. Since the knife bug will probably bite you too, I recommend a ceramic sharpener (two rods in a V-shape inserted into a wooden or plastic base). Do not be surprised to spend as much on your sharpener as you do on your new knife (around $25).

Good luck and enjoy your new tool.

My choice for you would be the Mirage by CRKT for the $ I think it is the top choice. Take my word for it, I have paid 2-3 times more for knives that are no better at all!

~Keith~

Talisker,

You sure asked the right question. We love those good quality/low price knives.

I can recommend the CRKT Mirage, either large or small, and the Benchmade Panther. Love both for good quality at a low price. I stopped carrying my Panther because Benchmade stopped making them. There are still a lot around from existing stock - some at a good discount.

I can also recommend many of the Spyderco knives under $50. The BladeForums Native will probably replace my CRKT Mirage as daily carry when it comes. I also really like the Endura (both old and new). Be careful though, Spydies are habit forming - many of us are Spyderco junkies. You're hooked before you know it.
wink.gif

Also, I would find a new method of testing for sharpness. Blooding with Spydies may be hazardous to your health. They come pretty sharp out of the box. Try the fingernail test, the back of the hair test or like some here just shave the hair off of some body part (usually back of hand or arm). Check the FAQs for more specifics on testing for sharpness.

Talisker,

(Oops, double post - sorry. SEG)

You sure asked the right question. We love those good quality/low price knives.

I can recommend the CRKT Mirage, either large or small, and the Benchmade Panther. Love both for good quality at a low price. I stopped carrying my Panther because Benchmade stopped making them. There are still a lot around from existing stock - some at a good discount.

I can also recommend many of the Spyderco knives under $50. The BladeForums Native will probably replace my CRKT Mirage as daily carry when it comes. I also really like the Endura (both old and new). Be careful though, Spydies are habit forming - many of us are Spyderco junkies. You're hooked before you know it.
wink.gif

Also, I would find a new method of testing for sharpness. Blooding with Spydies may be hazardous to your health. They come pretty sharp out of the box. Try the fingernail test, the back of the head hair test or like some here just shave the hair off of some body part (usually back of hand or arm). Check the FAQs for more specifics on testing for sharpness.

[This message has been edited by Bob Irons (edited 02 March 1999).]

Talisker,
You poor kid!
biggrin.gif
You don't know what you're letting yourself into! BWAHAHAHAAA!(Evil laughter) Resistance is futile, you HAVE been assimilated!
BTW, I didn't hear anybody mention the classic knife that pretty much started it all the Buck 110! If you've never owned one, your missing out. There are better knives, but I'll bet at least 95% of all the posters here have a 110 tucked away somewhere and they wouldn't dream of not having one.
PS
Glad to have you!

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

I just bought a Buck Odyssey and I think you get quite a lot of knife for a reasonable price. The sharp edge (ATS-34 steel), the comfortable grip and the very smooth opening mechanism makes me a very happy Buck owner. I am thinking of buying the smaller Buck Lightning as well.

------------------
/Jonas

If you can save up the extra cash, I'd recommend Spyderco's Endura. They're tough as nails, inexpensive, and sharp--a great newbie knife. The Goddard lightweight is also a great choice, but probably a little more over your cash barrier.

I also own a CRKT Mirage and it's a very worthy knife--a good second choice. The large Zytel blades are pretty sweet (I have the aluminum, but I've seen the Zytel...they're not too bad). Avoid the KISS and PECK as first knives, as they're pretty small and probably not what you're looking for.

Back