Newbie question on G-10

Building my first knife and I bought a piece of .125" G10 expecting it to have a texture but it is smooth. Did I screw up and should have found a textured G10 or can I do something to it rough it up?

I have no experience working with G10 so advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

needs to be heavily beadblasted to get that grippy texture.

sanding it to 220 will leave a little texture....but blasting it is the best way to do it.

:thumbup:

Dan

needs to be heavily beadblasted to get that grippy texture.

sanding it to 220 will leave a little texture....but blasting it is the best way to do it.

:thumbup:

Dan

Thanks Dan. I'll try the 220 since I don't have a bead blaster. Can this stuff be purchased already textured?

Mark

I really don't know...I doubt it.

If you really want it blasted...and it's just one knife...I'll gladly blast it for you here in the shop...doesn't take long. Just cover return-shipping.

Dan

p.s. this offer is for Mark G...not anyone else. :p

FYI - Whatever you use to sand or ROUGH UP your G-10 MAKE SURE you're wearing breathing protection...don't want any of those fibers in your lungs!!

How about an example?

Here's my buddy Tom Krein's chef knife in polished blue/black G10:

8inchchef.jpg

You can tell the handle is smooth to the touch and the colors are vibrant.

And one of his TK-5 Magnum Hunters in blasted blue/black G10:

blacknbluemagnumhunter.jpg

Here the colors are more muted and you can definitely see a texture on the surface.

Dan

(I don't polish my G10....so that's why I used Tom's examples - thanks, Tom!)

if you have a air compressor

even a hand held blaster would do the trick and you dont have to use beads either sand will give a even more textured handle

I would wear a mask no matter what,

if smoking is bad for you

dust is insanity on your lungs

I would also either get a mask that has the tubes that goes over the back or wear a full face shield because the metal sparks can burn pin holes though the cartrages

as well as you dont want the dust to land directly on it and clog it up either

Wear some type of respirator........what they said up there.

You might try just rough sanding it even with 120 then go to 220 if you don't like it that rough. You may find that you don't need it blasted to get the finish you want.

It doesn't come rough as far as I know. Even if it did after shaping it you would lose any surface texture that was on it.

SDS

Back