1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Nbrackett, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

1. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    While cleaning these up I came across something that stumped me. This single bit in the center has a double bit eye. I shot this pic to a buddy that knows much more than I about axes and he answered it for me but I thought I’d post it here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second question. I want to hang this but I’m torn on cleaning up the poll. Doing so will destroy the Falls City and I don’t want to do that. Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    I'd leave that poll alone. There's not enough mushrooming to effect usage, and the patina on that thing is awesome.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Your buddy no doubt told you that you had a double bit with a damaged end cut off.

I wouldn't destroy the Falls City stamp. But if you have the ability to heat it and hammer it you might be able to correct the poll enough that you could file off the remainder while saving the stamp. Some of the metal will go back into place at less than forging temperature. Recall that it likely deformed completely cold. But doing this will weaken the metal and might cause microfractures to occur. Still, if you want to keep mass in the poll to balance the whole axe as a chopper this might be a viable compromise. You won't want to use the poll after doing this but it can look better without losing much mass.

Yankee Josh and Nbrackett like this.
  4. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Most likely it used to be double bit axe that suffered major damage and former owner decided to modify it.

5. Nbrackett

Jun 19, 2015
    My buddy responded with this:

[​IMG]

6. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    It is shame it is unbalanced now. Maybe foutytwoblades can come up with ingenious design for custom hand made handle to make it "European" style balanced. On do it the "dirty" way and weld a slab of steel on top of existing pole

Nbrackett likes this.
  7. Nbrackett

Jun 19, 2015
    I guess it would be useable on a handle like this as long as I got the head set at the correct angle. I’m not sure it’s worth wasting the handle though.

[​IMG]

8. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Make it a branding axe to even out the weight. NB with the front of the n and the back of the b as one line.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM
    survivor45 likes this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Just hang it and use it - the cut off pulaski or double bit. Remember, it's reduced weight now so maybe more like a boys axe weight. House Handle sells a 30" double bit handle that might match up well with that axe.

https://www.househandle.com/products.html#double

Nbrackett likes this.
  10. Old Axeman

Old Axeman

Jan 10, 2015
    While your axe with the double bit eye has been cut off to make a single bit, this is not always the case with a single bit head with a double bit shaped eye. Some 18 c. and early 19 c., hand forged American single bit axes have a double bit shaped eye. Square_peg was kind enough to post some pictures of a couple of mine a while ago.

Trailsawyer and Nbrackett like this.
  11. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Here they are:

17th century
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18th century
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the long polls with carbon steel welded on.

Trailsawyer, garry3 and Nbrackett like this.
  12. Old Axeman

Old Axeman

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks again Square_peg! The Plumb boys axe was only in the photo for a size comparison.

Square_peg likes this.