Newbie Sharpening Questions

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by DC Kestrel, Jun 5, 2017.

1. VermontEdge

VermontEdge Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2015
    I'm totally on board with this advice. The sharpmaker is a wonderful tool but only, ONLY if the knife that you're sharpening lines up with the set angles. Just going at it on a regular basis will, eventually, get a knife to that place and then it's essentially a fool proof system.

Mike Large likes this.
  2. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I can finally add my .02 to this thread. My small Inkosi was approaching butter knife dull. The secondairy seemed quite convex so I convinced myself that the Sharpmaker was going to be too much work (standard rods). I've been debating a professional sharpening vs. WSKO @ 17.5 degrees (I've done well with that in the past on other knives) but hesitant that either way I'd risk screwing something up (bad -bad-bad luck with a 'recommended' local sharpener).

Finally I decided on a few Sharpmaker passes with Sharpie, and the 20 degree setting matched almost perfectly. It's a razor now, and I am quite pleased! Admittedly, I didn't get the tip quite as sharp as the belly or flat...but it'll still make hair fly. I'll get it next time.

IMG_2065.JPG

I didn't even try the 15 degree setting as the 20 matched so well. I don't forsee keeping it sharp will be too difficult now. :)

3. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Is it weird i already own a WE and just wanted to buy some benchstones for some kitchen knifes as well as helping my friends. Feel like thats going backwards. So just bought me a DMT 8x3 coarse diamond stone and a Spyderco UF 8x3 Ceramic stone. In addition bought me some leather and gonna make myself a strop. Still debating whether to get the Bark River black/green compound or the sprays. But sprays just too pricey for trying out.

4. Don M

Don M

Apr 30, 2000
    No reason not to use the 30 degree setting. The steel is fine with that unless you are creating a lot of lateral stress, and the 30 degrees will cut more easily and stay sharp longer (it takes more wear to get to the same dull edge thickness).