Newbie with comments and general questions about the next blade

Hey guys, I have always carried pocket knife since I was young like 6 or 7 I guess. I got a swiss army knife before for christmas and a buck/swiss knife also. In my teens I was able to buy a buck protege I still have. For the last 5 years I guess I have carried a S&W(don't laugh now lol). I like the S&W swat half serrated model and its pretty cheap. I used to use the police ones, but the swat ones been cheaper last couple of years. Anway my knife got lost stolen. So at walmart this weekend I had a pick between Buck 199 Pilot and Kersahw...The buck was couple of bucks more, but I like it, only to find out at home it was made in china. But reading it seems sometime ago some were outsourced to china. However I still like this knife pretty well.

1. I dont' see a benchmade forum on this site, but from other message board it seems there good qualilty.

2. I'm thinking about getting another knife in the 65 dollar range..benchmade,spyderco,kershaw,crkt.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BM556-BLU&CartID=2

Thats one I have my eye on. Just for everday, cutting boxes open, tape,shoe string etc.

3. Is 154CM going to be a lot better than 440?

4. I know most message boards have a search, am I missin it? I like to read a lot so I don't clutter with "newbie" postings that have been beat to death.

Thanks guys!

Here's a link to the steel FAQ:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368828

You'll need awhile to get through all of it. In short: Yeah, 154CM is a lot better than 440A.

The BM Mini-Grip is a great deal. Good steel and ergonomics, solid lock, fair price.

Kershaw and Spyderco make good stuff, too. No fights there. Hard to go wrong with any of those three, at least based on brand. Lots of options.

Search doesn't work unless you pay for membership. Google does, though. Use "(searchterm) site:bladeforums.com" to find stuff.

1. I dont' see a benchmade forum on this site, but from other message board it seems there good qualilty.
My only Benchmade is a Griptillian 551 and the quality is excellent. No blade play, smooth action, and secure lock.

2. I'm thinking about getting another knife in the 65 dollar range..benchmade,spyderco,kershaw,crkt.
http://www.thebladeshop.com/ProductD...2DBLU&CartID=2
Thats one I have my eye on. Just for everday, cutting boxes open, tape,shoe string etc.
A great knife. I think you'll like it even better if you don't pay too much for it:
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9912

3. Is 154CM going to be a lot better than 440?
How much you'll notice a difference depends on the quality of 440. For instance, I doubt I could tell the difference in everyday use between 154CM and 440C. But 440A or 440B, the difference should be obvious.

Happy Shopping!

In that range, I'd go with a CRKT M16 aluminum or a Benchmade Griptilian or Axis. Don't rule out other bands, though. There are a LOT of knives in that price range. Boker BO061 is in there, too.

Just to let you know, the general consensus around here is that THEBLADESHOP.COM is NOT a good site to order from.

Good sites include www.newgraham.com and www.knifeworks.com.

As for the knives, I have a Delica which I love very much. You can get one for around $50 (I got the Waved version for $65-ish). I think the quality and bang-for-buck ratio is excellent. I also use it for box cutting and other day-to-day tasks - it does a great job.

The Grip (or Mini Grip) that you're looking at is also a great knife. It is also in the "great bang-for-buck ratio" category. Great, tough knife at a good price. You can't go wrong.

The Delica and Mini Grip are my recommendations for relatively inexpensive EDC folders.

Go with the minigrip it will not dissapoint and it will have you addicted to the axislock within a week.

Thanks, Halbie---You'll love it. If not, you are only out $30 smackers! ;)

Wow guys I appreciate all the comments, very friendly place(and I"m a member of a few forums)..I do like the CRKT M16 it looks 99% the same to me as the S&W cheapie I carry, and i'm really fond of that styling....

The Mini Griptiliian does look hard to beat, now got to decide to get half in half or a full stragiht one..I know I know..why decide when you can get both lol...

This is bad as my flashlight decsions too many good choices at a certain price point at times...I'm going have to start me a knife fund....:)

So the last week here what I got: yall are a bad infulence.

Buck Pilot 199 @ walmart last weekend
BM Mini-Grip in Blue(breaks up from all the black knifes i'm used too)
Boker Sub-Claw

Knifeworks is super great and going to get here in like 48 hours since the order was placed pretty happy.

Back