Newbie with two questions

Hello, I'm new to the site and from what I've seen it looks like a good place for some information and tips.

I collect anything from pocket knives (Schrade USA), to fix blades (Kabar). I was browsing the Kabar website and saw 1095 cro-van steel. What is 1095 cro-van and is it better than standard 1095?

My second question is regarding Ontario knives. Are they quality? I do not have one in my collection and would like to get the quartermaster knife. Since I don't have experience with them, I want to make sure they are good before I buy.

Thanks for you help.

Jansen

Welcome to the forums! :)

The more inexpensive Ontarios (like their spec plus line) are tough, decent users, but don't expect them to come without any flaws. The bevels may be uneven, out of the box sharpness is sub-par, the finish is a bit on the crude side.
Get one if you want to use the heck out of it, they do offer quite a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm not really familiar with their more expensive offerings, so I can't comment on those.

I have found that Ontario's heat treat is inconsistent, except for their Old Forge kitchen knives, which are a very good value for the dollar.