1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 16 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Buck Custom Shop 119 Special lasermarked with the BladeForums logo!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Buck Custom Shop 119, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 20; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How To Newbie, Working On Workshop, Machine Advice

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Darth Mole, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Darth Mole

Darth Mole

Mar 25, 2019
    Hello! I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section, or even the wrong community. I tried to find the answer though perhaps I'm using the wrong terms or asking the wrong question(s).

I'm looking to build a worktable that as a surface that can be flipped over with one piece of machinery/tool secured to both sides. Basically the surface can be flipped and each side has one machine/tool secured to it, meaning that when one side/machine/tool is upright, the other is upside down.

I have seen several designs and youtube videos of a flippable table (or a table with parts that can flip) so I know it can be done. My concern is if inverting the machine/tool could cause damage. Mainly I'm thinking of a belt grinder, drill press, and band saw as being three of the four machines/tools in question (two separate tables). The idea of oil or lubricant leaking pops into my head but then I also consider what if it is shipped upside down or if a box tips over and is left, is the machine ruined?

tl:dr - can inverting a belt grinder, drill press, and/or band saw when not in use cause damage to the machine(s)?

Thank you again!

2. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    I'm not certain on this so I will give your thread a boost and see if someone else with more experience on this will comment.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Theoretically I think...notice I said think...that you could flip any one of these machines on their heads so to speak without any serious damage. There's no pumps or internal engines that need to run in an upright position. However I can see many practical problems with this approach. The biggest one is keeping tight tolerances, particularly with the drill press. Every time you would swing a drill press back around you would have to check your run out and also make sure you are absolutely vertical and true in order to get good results.

The bandsaw to me seems like a possibility. There are many portable bandsaws that can run in any position and could be stored however you want as long as it is secure. However I would think a full size bandsaw or even a 10" one like I have would be impractical to store that way because of it's height.

The grinder...again maybe. I've seen several designs where makers have their grinders setup to run both vertically and horizontally. However I've never seen one stored upside down. Again hopefully someone with more experience at this will comment.

Is your workspace really that tight that you need to do this? Can you free up some room by maybe putting at least one of these on a portable platform that could be wheeled out of the way when not in use?

My workshop is half of a two car garage. And while I'm very cramped for space, I have three workbenches, two grinders (one a 2x72), a Grizzly drill press, 10 inch bandsaw and a small forge. Plus many miscellaneous tools. It actually works quite well for me though very small

3. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I've seen this done with grinders and buffers as they're small. Even planers which likely weigh about the same as a belt grinder. I don't see why it couldnt be done with a belt grinder but keep in mind they are somewhat tall. Drill presses as well. A portable bandsaw would also be fine. Every time you flip you'll be dumping shavings and dust everywhere and will need to vacuum each time which will be a pain.

Your must be tight on space to be considering this and I'd love to see what you come up with.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have several smaller bench tools ( buffers, bench grinders, very small drill press, etc.) mounted on 20X24" plywood boards. I mount a machine on each side. The bench top has an open section that fits these boards. I can put the tool I want upright in that space. Wen not using the tools, I put them on the rack and place a piece of faux-granite countertop in the empty space. I have a rack that looks a bit like a sheet pan cart from a bakery that the boards with the tools store in when not on the bench. If I ever found one of those bakery carts cheap, I probably would make more board mounted tools that could be stored out of the way.

I have seen a person mount two large tools on a rotating table top that pivoted. It was unwieldy and I didn't think it was very sturdy.

5. Darth Mole

Darth Mole

Mar 25, 2019
    Thank you so much for your reply and feedback. I have a one car garage in a townhouse. I originally was just going to take over the garage completely as a workshop but then this snowy winter had me remember why I always wanted a garage. The room with the furnace and hot water heater is next to the garage so I thought to make workbenches on wheels and just wheel them into the other room when I need/want to use the garage for the car. At the same time there is a hallway involved and I didn't want to try and maneuver a long/big work table from the garage, into the hallway and then down into the other room. Even if I decide to give up the garage for my car, I still would want to have the ability to move everything out (and have a place to store it) if I needed to. Thanks again!

6. Darth Mole

Darth Mole

Mar 25, 2019
    Thank you very much for your reply! I hadn't thought about the shavings and dust, though the height of the drill press and grinder had popped into my head, though I was/am hoping it turns out that they aren't tall enough to warrant a massive height for the workbench.

I have a one car garage in a townhouse that I'm trying to keep available for my car (well actually SUV) if/when I want to use it for that. So even if I move them into the side room where the furnace and hot water heater is when not in use I still have to consider room for keeping it all.

Based on the feedback and some brainstorming, I think I'm going to try and design one that has two vertical shelves (instead of using both sides of one shelf) that can be rotated/swung as a unit where both shelves remain level while one goes down to the left (or right) and the other goes up to the right (or left). I know that isn't explained very well, the wording to better explain the concept and rotation is escaping me rather well at the moment.

Thank you again!

7. Darth Mole

Darth Mole

Mar 25, 2019
    Hello and thank you very much for the feedback and idea! If I'm understanding your design correctly instead of having the table top pivot (as I would in my design) you simply chose which side to put upright into the opening on your bench? Have you had any problems with the machines/tools being stored upside down? When you store them do you store the boards vertically or horizontally? Thank you again for the reply!!

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Most bench tools will be fine upside down. After all they work in Australia :)

Seriously, there is no problem with them storing upside down. I have a machine on each side of the board in some cases, and only one machine on the board in others. They store horizontal on a 2X4 rack in the corner that works like putting sheet pans on a rack.
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...bun-sheet-pan-rack-unassembled/600PR103K.html

9. Darth Mole

Darth Mole

Mar 25, 2019
    Sorry for the late reply! I've been chuckling on and off about your Australia comment for almost a week now. It was fantastic! Also thank you very much for the reply and information!!!!!