1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby needs help. Bought KME basic sharpener, want finer stones. Which ones?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Jumbi8, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Jumbi8

Jumbi8 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Hello all,

Complete newby here. The KME sharpening system just arrived and I tested it out on my spyderco chaparral. This, in my uneducated opinion, is a really fabulous sharpener. Very easy to use. My chaparral is my box opener, sushi cutter while out at random casual lunch knife. It does not see any medium or difficult work. Other than the dreaded shipping box apocalypse, that is all I intend to ever use the chaparral for. So, that being said, I use this as my sliciest blade, I set the kme to its lowest angle of 16 degrees (without yet flipping the guide over for an even lower possible angle)
    This gave me a barely perceptible shallower angle than came on the knife from the factory.

I easily went through the 4 grits (140, 300, 600, 1500) and wiped the blade between grits so as not to contaminate the higher with the lower. Inspecting with a 10x loop, the bevel looks perfectly centered and, well....perfect.

It is "sharp" but still has some slight variable resistance cutting through paper. I can't say it performs any better/worse than when it was sharpened on the spyderco sharp maker, but the edges are more precisely perfect upon inspection with magnification.

Being a complete newby, and wanting to have that mirror edge that I see on all the "cool kids" knives, I would like to now buy some finer stones to get me there. The finest that came with this basic kit was 1500 gold series diamond hone.

My question is what should I buy now that will take me to that desired mirror edge finish?
    3000, then 5000, then 10000?
    Please post your suggestions and if possible where you suggest I buy the specific items.

Thank you in advance :)

WeeEEEEeeeeee!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Jumbi8 likes this.
  3. l1ranger

l1ranger Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2017
    cant speak to the KME stones, but I run the following progression on my lansky (assuming Im starting with setting a new bevel)

80, 120, 280, 600, 1000, 2000

then i go to strops with diamond paste - typically just a 5 micron
    but I have several from 5 down to .5

I'm not getting mirror polish under magnification, but it looks good to the naked eye

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    You can buy the CBN emulsions and strops or get the lapping films and plates directly from KME.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  5. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    I don't know any stones that will help you get those grits (@BilboBaggins suggestion was spot on IMO). From my experience, you need to get up/down to at least 8000 grit/3 micron in order to get that reflection.

My ultra fine stones are THE stones for mirror polishing, and they make me question whether or not I should raise the bevels on all the knives in the world just so I can see my stupid grin:D

6. wade7575

wade7575 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2013
    What are the steels you want to sharpen because not all stones are equal,the Chosera stones are nice and work really well but also cost a lot and are worth it if you want a really good polished edge.

I did a review of some really good stones from Russia called Gritalon stones and I would go with the Silicon Carbide one if it were me and I'm pretty he will cut them for the KME if asked,I have heard some people say after I tested the Aluminum Oxide version of the Gritalons that they dull and people have had no luck refreshing them with Silicon Carbide powder I have only used the Aluminum Oxide stones once so I don't know if the part about them dulling is true or not.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ide-and-aluminum-oxide-stones-review.1563787/

Also don't the CBN stropping compounds directly from KME they are the biggest rip off for the amount you get,go straight to Ken Schwartz the guy who sells KME their Emulsions and you can get 2oz for just a bit more money then what you can get from KME,also the Kangaroo leather strops work really well and get a few of them and be careful not to use to much pressure when stropping or you will cut it for sure.

Here is Kens contact info if you look on KME's site you can see that Ken sells them the Emulsions it's right on the bottles.

If you tell me what steels you plan on getting and have I can better help you,I have many different stones for my Tsprof I have so many have lost track.

209-612-2790
    [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/ken.schwar...001212185481:1524023340&section=contact_basic

Jumbi8 and Mr.SATism like this.
  7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    You can go to the KME site and see the accessories that are offered for achieving a mirror finish.
    They offer Chosera water stones, CBN emulsion from .1 micron to 4 micron, kangaroo leather strops and lapping films.
    You can pick your poison based on the amount of money you want to spend.

8. wade7575

wade7575 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I would get the strops and Emulsion's and Chosera's from Ken because your going to get more for your money that way and then go to sharpeningstones.ru to get the highest grit Silicon Carbide Gritalons and get 3 of each to save money so you won't have to order them so soon they cost about 10 bucks Canadian a peace witch is pretty cheap.

The Gritalons end at 4000 grit in the Silicon Carbide then I would move up to the 5K 8K 10K Chosera's then get a 10 and 20K Suehiro stones as well I have the 10 and 20K Suehiro stones and they great and will never wear out,the 10K Suehiro is more around the 15K mark and the 20 is more around 25K I don't why but from Ken Schwartz say's they underrate those 2 stones and I know from jumping from a Chosera 10K to a Suehiro 10K I feel the difference in sharpness.

Just so you know I have never had any problems dealing with sharpeningstones.ru and all his prices are in rubles and if you want to see what you'll really being just google 1200 rubles to US funds or whatever your currency is and use EMS shipping and you should get it in about 2 weeks.

http://sharpeningstones.ru/

https://sharpeningstones.ru/cat/точильные-камни-для-apex/naniwa/chosera

https://sharpeningstones.ru/cat/точильные-камни-для-apex/россия/gritalon/gc-карбид-кремния

Also if you going to get Chosera' be warned they need to soaked for 15 minutes before using them and they do tend to glaze over and you need to remove the glaze I use what's called a rust eraser and I use the medium grit and they last a good while and they work better then anything else for not removing as much of the stone,you can use a diamond plate but they will tear off more of the stone.

Another thing to keep in mind is go to a machine shop and get them to cut you some 1 inch by 4 inch or whatever the KME stones are and mount the stones to the blanks with 3M Super 77 Spray just shoot a really thick coat on the blank and wait the amount of time it say's on the can and press the stone onto the blank,that's what Ken does when he mounts edge pro stones to the blanks and I do it myself for some stones and my Kangaroo strop when I make them,the reason I'm telling you to mount your stones to blanks is because the stone holder on the KME covers almost half the stone so if you mount them to blanks your going to get a lot more life out of you stones,just make sure they cut the ends of the blanks straight trust when I used my KME more back in the day I've been there and done that and it sucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-k...499214?hash=item4674ee844e:g:DlQAAOSwqaJaY3GM

9. Jumbi8

Jumbi8 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Thank you so very much for all this good advice.

Mr.SATism likes this.