newest addition to the family :)

Gress

Gold Member
Hey guys, I ended up getting a 3" non-flipper to add to the family and compare it to the flipper. :D

89ca5a0329.jpg

de9359de34.jpg

I guess this is an older knife, as it has allen heads on clip screws. Can you guiys tell me if this is still a gen 3 one?

Anyway, the knife came in perfect condition :thumbup::):

73bd5b45b9.jpg

4fe42540a2.jpg

So the other question I have is what is the blade finish? It was advertised as a "blasted", but it is sooo smooth..it's like my other knives, which are stonewashed. It is very different from my Striders or Busses, where if it is a beadblasted (DC in Busse's lingvo) finish it's quite rough. This one is as smooth as others, but definitely has different look (very even gray).

To give you better view please see the pic of the spine, as it is very smooth

33339b9ad8.jpg

I appreciate your inputs on what this could be, or is it indeed the beadblasted one.

I will post few more family pictures shortly, where, perhaps you can see the material; difference a bit better.

Gress,

That is a nice looking 3" non flipper. Gen III (or Gen II for the 3" XMs depending on how you look at it). The hex clip screws aren't really that old. My 3" came with them and I think most of the 3" XMs out of the last batch had them. I swapped mine out for the phillips to make it easier to swap the clip.

Looks like it has a fine bead blast finish. Rick's bead blasted finishes sometimes are like a nice satin finish. I saw a couple at G2 with the blasted finish and I really like it on these knives. I had one that was sand blasted and it was really ruff and dark matte compared to the bead blasted.

Great score!

Thanks Rico and atony!
Yes, it is exactly like you said a smooth satin :)

2b509258df.jpg

Here are couple of pics of the family together.

d270d016d6.jpg

36db745ace.jpg

What is Rick's sharpening angle? I may want to touch up this new orange :D

09fafefdb8.jpg

Gress,

That is a nice looking 3" non flipper. Gen III (or Gen II for the 3" XMs depending on how you look at it). The hex clip screws aren't really that old. My 3" came with them and I think most of the 3" XMs out of the last batch had them. I swapped mine out for the phillips to make it easier to swap the clip.

Looks like it has a fine bead blast finish. Rick's bead blasted finishes sometimes are like a nice satin finish. I saw a couple at G2 with the blasted finish and I really like it on these knives. I had one that was sand blasted and it was really ruff and dark matte compared to the bead blasted.

Great score!

Do you happen to know the size of the hex screws? Can I buy yours?:D

Sweet collection Gress. Some amazing knives there. How do you like the flipper vs the non?

jazzandmetal,
The size of allen head is 0.05".
I can't answer your second question :D :)

As for a flipper vs. non-flipper... I like the non-flipper in 3" better. Mostly because for this size you can easily operate the blade without a need for the flipper. At the same time I do not feel like I need this extra protection the guard gives you at 3". The benefits of non-flipper is the classic look, easier pocket carry and it goes well along with bigger 3.5 non-flipper brother :D

Now...will I sell a flipper in 3"? Not right away, as I still undecided if the non-flipper is the only one to keep :)
Do I have to try a 3.5 flipper? - that's a better question :D

Only thing for sure is that for 24 I need the flipper. It makes sense as a flipper and as a guard. But, if Rick gives us a non-flipper 24 would I not buy it? Hah? :D:D:D

Do you happen to know the size of the hex screws? Can I buy yours?:D

Sweet collection Gress. Some amazing knives there. How do you like the flipper vs the non?

This has been mentioned already, but they take a .050 hex. I don't know what the actual screw size is though. I should have a few sets of screws around somewhere. I won't sell them to you, but you can have a set. :D

Send me a PM to remind me to look for them.

The knife came used, in perfect condition, but not extremely sharp :D
It was time to give it a little TLC today with my DMT hones :)

964b194ea2.jpg

I just used two, the fine and x-fine hones today.

945dd3ec90.jpg

And then to stropping with the leather strop.

cf6bf85646.jpg

6cf0d6a8c1.jpg

Not too long after.. the work was done.

5663ba4804.jpg

It’s all good and sharp now :):thumbup:

ae22e47969.jpg

That's an Apex Pro sharpener, right? How does it work with DMT stones? I'm using the DMT Aligner kit but would like to have a more stable sharpener someday. BTW, what size are the DMT stones? Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I bought it on ebay and it came with some cheap hones. I tried my DMT stones and it would hold them, although not very securely but OK. The DMT stones I have is 6"x2" and they are great. For the smaller knives I'd like to have a narrower ones and I've ordered 4"x1 3/4" ones. I hope they will work even better..:)

Thanks. Its looks very similar to the Apex Pro. I was going to ask you about the ease of sharpening :) I like my Aligner but sometimes my hand is not stable to ensure that the stone always makes flat contact with the edge :D

This has been mentioned already, but they take a .050 hex. I don't know what the actual screw size is though. I should have a few sets of screws around somewhere. I won't sell them to you, but you can have a set. :D

Send me a PM to remind me to look for them.

Much appreciatted!

However, I can't send you a PM for some reason.....can you send me one?:)

Broad Arrow with this setup its easy to sharpen. My stones being 2" wide are perfect for larger blades, end especially the fixed I have. For smaller blades I have the smaller stones coming.

As a response to a challenge on the greener forum I did couple of pics to show the knife capability. Enjoy! :)

8d271f312d.jpg

f71e8d1edf.jpg

bd71682ad3.jpg

Where on Earth did you find that 3" non-flipper? I have been looking everywhere for one. I have a 3.5" non-flipper and love it. Please let me know if you decide to sell! (a guy can dream..)

Btw, none of your pictures are coming up for me. Is it my computer?

Where on Earth did you find that 3" non-flipper? I have been looking everywhere for one. I have a 3.5" non-flipper and love it. Please let me know if you decide to sell! (a guy can dream..)

Btw, none of your pictures are coming up for me. Is it my computer?

Me either, although they were yesterday. I am using a Mac and just did some maintenance because I thought it was my cpu.

Back