Next best thing to a lefty BM 630 Skirmish?

How about a 630 with a deep pocket carry clip mounted for lefty pocket carry? :D
orig.jpg

Handle scales were also soaked in a Pyrex pan filled with boiling water and Oxy Clean for an hour. The mixture reacted with the titanium to form Ti oxide. The scales changed from a bluish/greenish hue to dark grey and the anodized colors on the divots disappeared.
orig.jpg

detail:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Special thanks to Matt Cucchiara for the drilling and tapping tips and www.knifekits.com for the drilling and tapping kit. :)

I would LOVE to see a deep carry clip for the Skirmish! That is the only thing that I think could improve on it.

I would prefer tip-up, but the scales look like i always think they should look right from the factory!

Does the Ti - oxyd held up, is it wear resistant or not?

The Ti oxide finish is about as wear resistant as the bead-blast finish on the handle. The nice thing about it is that you can always retouch. Kinda like the poor man's bead-blast or anodizing. :)

Is that a newley manufactured clip or an old EDC Genesis clip? I've done the oxy-clean trick and liked the results. I wondered how already anodized scales would turn out. You don't boil through the entire hour do you? Just start out with boiling water?

artsig1 said:
Is that a newley manufactured clip or an old EDC Genesis clip? I've done the oxy-clean trick and liked the results. I wondered how already anodized scales would turn out. You don't boil through the entire hour do you? Just start out with boiling water?

Good eye! Old EDI Genesis clip. The 630's scales look like they were anodized from the factory, but I guess the hot water and Oxy Clean combination ate right through the ano. Just start out with boiling water. Pour into heat resistant pan, add scales and Oxy Clean. Mix.

Thanks. I did a Buck/Strider up with an old EDI Genesis clip a little while back so I though it looked familar!

Verrrry nice mods.

I've always thought the dainty little colored divots looked ridiculous, and the dark scales look terrific.

You just put the scales in the hot oxyclean solution, no sanding or anything? I might have to give this a try...

Thanks, Gud4U. Dr. Thor, just degrease the scales with dishwashing liquid and water prior to soaking in the solution. I didn't have to do anything else. I wasn't sure at first if it would work because of the anodizing, but it did. :D

Is this the knife you were going to switch the scales around to make it left handed? Or is that another project in the works? This one turned outnice :)

Matt Shade said:
Is this the knife you were going to switch the scales around to make it left handed? Or is that another project in the works? This one turned outnice :)

Thanks, Matt. The first one is with a knifemaker who will make it a lefty. This one is my EDC until the first one is finished. Hope to make this one a lefty, too, afterwards.

Just completed the "oxy-treatment" and must say I like the results. Dark gray with shiny divots. I also polished the bronze washers while I had it apart and it did nothing but smooth the action up more! All in all a nice, easy, and simple to do mod.

Looks sweet! How do you take the knife apart...there's a solid pin near the hinge..does it just drop out?

I may have to get another 630 just to do this cool mod!!!

agony said:
Looks sweet! How do you take the knife apart...there's a solid pin near the hinge..does it just drop out?

I may have to get another 630 just to do this cool mod!!!

Thanks, Agony. :) The solid pin just drops out. You may want to heat the screws of the two standoffs first. Seems like they had Locktite in them. Will be easier to remove them after heating.

Back