1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Next "must have" blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Funkenstein, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Funkenstein

Funkenstein

Aug 1, 2013
    Well I finally have a few knives that I have been wanting for a while.

Recently picked up a CRK Umnumzaan, and just bought a Strider SnG last night from a forum member.

I have an Alan Davis custom and love it, too. Wife got me a ZT0561 (spoiled it!) for Christmas.

So my question is...what do you all recommend as a must have knife in the price ranges of above? I'd like to have about 5 "nice" knives. I have various other Cold Steel and such.

I am a police officer and my knives get used daily. Cutting side curtain airbags, seatbelts, zip-ties, etc. And, the knife must be a decent choice for a last ditch effort as self defense.

Thanks,
    Funk

2. drrickso

drrickso

Nov 5, 2014
    you should definitely check out hinderer (xm-18 3.5" sounds like it's in your size preference)... they can get pricey buying retail (above the others you mentioned), but law enforcement can order direct through RHK at a lower cost (below the others you mentioned).

3. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    I know I've been obsessed with Emersons lately. Politics has always kept me from picking one up. I finaly gave their designs a good look and am hearing alot about qc improvements, so as of right now they are top on my next buy list. Others to check out would be the southern grind bad monkey, reate(I'm playing with my hills right now), and if you want to bump up your price a little more a hinderer. I'm sure there are countless others, but those are the few that came to mind.

4. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    I would second both the Hinderer and Emerson vote. You'll get a better price when you prove that you're law enforcement to Hinderer. I think a 3.5 XM-18 would suit you well.

As for Emerson, well I think everyone should try a knife with a Wave. Look into the CQC 7, 8 or 15.

5. SauerSig

SauerSig

Dec 11, 2014
    Well, I just recently kind of fell into the knife loving hobby. I am a gun guy by nature...so, this was the next step in my progression I guess.
    I just picked up a Benchmade 300 Ball Axis Flipper with D2 steel...it's the Cabelas exclusive model. I have been drooling over the BM Adamas 275bk plain blade....im pretty sure the wife got it for me as a Christmas present.
    Previously, I was drooling over the ZT 0300 and the ZT 0560...but...I got a little discouraged with all the discontinuing going on.
    So, I am a Benchmade guy. Pretty sure I made the right choice...for now.

Ron

6. kershawlover96

kershawlover96

Aug 15, 2013
    Well since you mentioned you enjoy the 0561 (personally my favorite), I would have to recommend a ZT 0620. It is an Emerson/ZT collab and if you want a "nice" one they offer it in carbon fiber as well as G10. More for your consideration for your preferences would be
    1) ZT 0562CF
    2) As mentioned by drrickso a 3.5 inch XM-18 (Rick has awesome knives, and he gives a discount for law enforcement, if ordered directly through the website).
    3) Microtech DOC ( many variations)
    4) ZT MUDD I mention this one because it can survive a beating and still operates after being thrown in mud, but they are getting harder to find.
    Hope this helps. Happy holidays and I wish you the best of luck with you knife hunt:thumbup:.

Austin.

7. drrickso

drrickso

Nov 5, 2014
    Agreed- MT DOC is another great choice... comes in auto as well if that interests you.

To throw another choice in the mix, an HTM Gunhammer also has several blade and action options.

8. collim1

collim1

Aug 14, 2014
    My patrol knife is a Benchmade 810 Contego.

It's a big, tough folder and is not the kind of knife I choose to carry anywhere but work.

9. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Think an Emerson super cqc 8 would fulfill your requirements. The wave feature has the blade open as soon as it clears your pocket and the blade shape and size are.very functional. The ERGOS are fantastic, locks into your hand like it was born there. A little practice waving it so it becomes a reactionary action as opposed to a thoughtful one and you have your last ditch tool/weapon

10. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Also cqc 8 available in 3.5", 3.9", and 4.3" if the super is to big( 4.3")

11. bfwhite

bfwhite

Jan 7, 2013
    What he said. At 385 for direct buy from Hinderer can't be beat. I am ordering one with the next batch of 3.5" blades.

12. hank_612

hank_612

Jan 13, 2010
    Hinderer or Curtiss F3 would be my vote. Hinderer if you like to customize/personalize and curtiss if you want a slick flipper.

13. Charr

Charr Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 8, 2013
    My vote is for a Southern Grind Bad Monkey over an Emerson, But that's honestly just my opinion. The XM-18 is very much a matter of opinion if you like them or not. In my experience you either love them or hate them. Me, I like them a lot, but there are other knives that I like to actually carry more, so I don't have one right now.

Other than that, there are a TON of good knives in that price range, but these are some really good ones:
    -ZT 0562 either Elmax or the cf/M390
    -ZT 0620 if you want a ZT with a wave
    -BM contego in M390
    -Diskin Fire dual-action auto
    -If you like OTF, microtech ultratech, but they're an aquired taste I think
    -Ferrum forge Ferox (if you don't mind looking after Carbon Steel blades)
    -Spartan Blades Akribis, similar to CRK, but with a faster action you can flick, and scales in G10 and Carbon Fiber.

14. Ecohrs197

Ecohrs197

Nov 26, 2014
    ive just been patiently waiting for the xm-18 market to die down so i can pick up one for what i see is a reasonable price

15. Rebel4ever

Rebel4ever Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Good luck on that Ecohrs197. It shows no signs of doing that. In fact, some of the best deals I've seen in awhile have been on the Exchage in the last few days. I expect after Christmas it will roll right back to normal. That makes it tough on those of us trying to find a few RHK's. For myself at least, if I can make a reasonable deal on one I'm going to get, I grab it and move on.

16. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    dbl-post.

17. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Very likely is true. The XM-18 in a 3.5" slicer or spanto grind would be a good knife for you, and with the LE discount, a good choice.
    I am also partial to a Strider SMF or perhaps SnG (a bit smaller), and their customer service is great.

I've had multiples of all of the above. Would say Hinderer (for the price), Strider, Emerson in that order. For a bit less, check out the ZT 0360 SKD collaboration, which is what I bought for my SWAT-cop son-in-law; a special production for LEO's and military use. ZT's are well-known for that.
    Also, a Benchmade Adamas 0275 manual folder (D2, 4") is also great heavy-duty folder for law-enforcement.. I've had several of these also, and it will not break.
    http://www.skdtac.com/Zero-Tolerance-0360-SKD-Knife-p/zto.117.htm

18. The_Knife_Man

The_Knife_Man

May 30, 2014
    I've admire Alan Davis knifes for some time now. Don't have the bankroll for one currently though. Does he take custom orders; or just be on the lookout in the KnifeMaker's Market?

19. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    No Grayman in the mix??

20. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    Hinderer with the LE discount is worth it.
    Brous Strife & Caliber are quite sweet.
    Grimsmo Norseman
    Chaves Redencion 228 midtech Would be my top choice (if you can find one)