Nice alternative for a Peanut

I'm a fan of all size slipjoints, but it seems that lately I've been preferring smaller knives that carry easily. The only problem I have with peanuts is they often feel too slim and tiny to get a hold of. I have two very nice Case peanuts that see quite a bit of pocket time. I purchased a Case tiny Toothpick and it still feels a bit lost in my fat clumsy bread-hooks. I recently purchased a Great Estern Cutlery Northfield #25 Jack with stag scales. The knife seems to be small enough to carry almost like a peanut yet the beefy handle fits my hand much better. This is my first Northfield knife. All I can say is the quality is impeccable for a production slipjoint. The price is a bit high, but the quality is probably the best in my collection. I still like my peanuts, but I really love the stubby proportions of the #25 Jack.

Below are pictures of the Northfield and my Case Peanut for comparisson.

Case Cradall Peanut
Blades: Tru Sharp SS
Size 2 7/8 inches closed
Handle: Jigged antique green bone
Pins and liners: Brass
Bolsters: Nickel Silver

Northfield #25 Jack
Blades: 1095
Size: 3 inches closed
Handle: Stag
Pins and liners: Brass
Bolsters: Nickel Silver

Northfield1.jpg

Northfield2.jpg

Northfield3.jpg

Northfield4.jpg

Northfield5.jpg

The Northfield fits the pocket clip sheath I originally made for my Peanuts nicely too!
Northfield6.jpg

very cool. great pics. of course i need to buy one now.

where did you get the pocket sheath?

That looks like it would be a great little cutter. I'll have to look into one. Thanks.

That's really sweet. And great pics.

Thanks.

Wow!!!! I REALLY like that knife for it's scale size. It would be PERFECT for some of the stonework I do. I am heading off to find one to try. Thanks for the posting.

Bummer - It seems it is only in 1095 carbon and I need stainless steel......... :(

Last edited:
Really Nice Jack there, thanks for sharing.
Pretty near perfect.
Jim

Good pictures there thank you.
I've had my eye on the Barlow version of that GE No.25 for some time now, just can't get the scales I want-yet.

Bummer - It seems it is only in 1095 carbon and I need stainless steel......... :(
One of the most unusual comments I've ever seen in THIS forum!

J/K Redrummd ;)

Nice stag on that one augustus88, I must fight the urge...

I've also noted that there's a Sheep's foot version on this as well but in red bone,nice one!

I don't know what's nicer Augustus, that knife or your sheath! Not to hijack, but I saw that not only did Cumberland have a the wharncliffe barlow and the sheepsfoot jack/barlow, but they also had a #73 Jack (skinner + pen blades)!!!!! Dang!!! They don't mess around at GEC, do they?

That's a lovely little #25 you have there, Augustus! I've been eyeing that same one for some time now. The #25 is a great watch pocket knife- small, yet chunky, and tough enough to get the job done. It's like a peanut on steroids. :thumbup:

I love the stag on yours, and the jack bolsters. I love the barlow pattern, but the barehead on one end and the super long bolster on the other can be a turnoff. What's the point of having a knife handled in bone or stag when all you feel when you're using the knife is the cold metal of a monster bolster?

I have a quick question though: how tough are the springs on your barlow jack? Is it easy to open with the long pull? The springs on mine are super tough, and it can be a real chore to open. I literally busted my thumbnail on it the other day, and I'm wondering if this is common to the pattern.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!
Bill at Cumberland was gracious enough to send me a photo of his four unserialized #25 Jacks in stock so I could pick my favorite. There are three nice knives left, but I snagged the best looking one. :D

I forgot to mention that the blades were saving sharp right out of the box... um, tube actually.

Last edited:
I have a quick question though: how tough are the springs on your barlow jack? Is it easy to open with the long pull? The springs on mine are super tough, and it can be a real chore to open. I literally busted my thumbnail on it the other day, and I'm wondering if this is common to the pattern.

Thanks for sharing!

The spring is a bit tight. Not too hard for me, but some may feel it's a bit tough to open. Guys with thin or longer thumbnails beware. It's about the same as my Schatt and Morgan Harness Jack from Queen.

EVERYTHING is nice and beefy on this knife.

Curse you Augustus!;) Now there is yet another knife I want. Off to go look at more examples of it...

Curse you Augustus!;) Now there is yet another knife I want. Off to go look at more examples of it...

:D :D :D

Not a lot of stock to choose from on this model. Some GEC vendors have a few so get one while they're still available!

PS To set the record straight. I have no connection to GEC or ANY of their dealers other than being a satisfied Cumberland customer. I did a lot of internet searching to find the perfect little knife and I just want to let you guys know that there aren't many of the Stag Northfield #25 Jacks left.

Back