nice bread knife?

...prefer good slicing blade about 8" long; serrated on both sides, under ~$80.
thanx..., Don

Honestly Don, I do all my bread and similar cutting with a sharp plain edge. But, if I was going to buy a serrated knife for the task it would be the Wusthof Classic Offset 8" "Breakfast" knife. I just saw one on clearance at one of the big online retailers that has, um knives and more, for $60.

I'm a cook by trade and for practical use wouldn't dream of paying more than $70 for a bread knife unless it was for pure beauty.

I just picked up a Victorinox that does exactly what it should. Stick with no frills working brands (MAC, Tojiro, etc) here IMO

I'm gonna disagree with previous posters here as well. A nice, sharp, straight blade will do the trick, but this above all else IMO is where a specialized blade (serrated in this case) will make all the difference in the world. It's been said time and time again by chef's around the world that if you can only have three knives, a chef's, a paring, and a bread knife are the way to go. There is absolutely good reason for this, and anyone working in a kitchen will agree.

Last edited:
A serrated knife is a beautiful thing on certain cutting tasks, I would go with the Tojiro

If I were gonna spend $40 or up I'd go with a Tojiro ITK or Maryoshi. If wanting to get the most bang for your buck Mercer is pretty solid.

Victorinox serrated fibrox, they are about $30 or less.

Back