nice bread knife?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Sonnydaze, May 13, 2020.

1. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    ...prefer good slicing blade about 8" long; serrated on both sides, under ~$80.
    thanx..., Don

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Honestly Don, I do all my bread and similar cutting with a sharp plain edge. But, if I was going to buy a serrated knife for the task it would be the Wusthof Classic Offset 8" "Breakfast" knife. I just saw one on clearance at one of the big online retailers that has, um knives and more, for $60.

on_the_edge likes this.
  3. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I do the same as @Eli Chaps . A thin, very sharp and pointy non-serrated knife will easily do the job.

4. sododgy

sododgy

Mar 16, 2019
    I'm a cook by trade and for practical use wouldn't dream of paying more than $70 for a bread knife unless it was for pure beauty.

I just picked up a Victorinox that does exactly what it should. Stick with no frills working brands (MAC, Tojiro, etc) here IMO

I'm gonna disagree with previous posters here as well. A nice, sharp, straight blade will do the trick, but this above all else IMO is where a specialized blade (serrated in this case) will make all the difference in the world. It's been said time and time again by chef's around the world that if you can only have three knives, a chef's, a paring, and a bread knife are the way to go. There is absolutely good reason for this, and anyone working in a kitchen will agree.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Insipid Moniker and nivs like this.
  5. Old Plumber

Old Plumber

Nov 18, 2016
    I like my serrated bread knives but, they are harder to sharpen than the strait blades.

6. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    A serrated knife is a beautiful thing on certain cutting tasks, I would go with the Tojiro

7. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    If I were gonna spend $40 or up I'd go with a Tojiro ITK or Maryoshi. If wanting to get the most bang for your buck Mercer is pretty solid.