nicest non-framelock knife (~500$)

i've seen a lot of threads lately regarding the "best framelock knife", but what does everyone think is good for a high end non-framelock/non-linerlock knife. conditions are, one hand opening and somewhat robust

Cold Steel Spartan, Cold Steel Espada series, Cold Steel lawman

Spyderco Manix both Manix 1 and Manix 2, Spyderco Chinook, Spyderco D Allara

Benchmade Ruckus, Benchmade Presidio, a whole lot of others

If you are looking for a knife with Fit/Finish/Tolerances of a CRK, why not just get a CRK?:p

I work for a BM dealer, and handled lots of Gold Class BM. To be honest, to me, they are just jazzed up versions of their production counterparts.

How are we supposed to define "high end?" Does that just mean expensive/ overpriced or can "high end" just translate into high quality and good tolerances?

Can't comment on the quality of Gold BM's, never owned one, just handled couple.

Here is another thought: Titanium Wilkins handles, plus S30V or M2 Ritter blade in your size preference. That would make a great robust user.

Cold Steel Spartan, Cold Steel Espada series, Cold Steel lawman

Spyderco Manix both Manix 1 and Manix 2, Spyderco Chinook, Spyderco D Allara

Benchmade Ruckus, Benchmade Presidio, a whole lot of others

none of those are in the OP's defined $500 range.

If you are looking for a knife with Fit/Finish/Tolerances of a CRK, why not just get a CRK?:p

I work for a BM dealer, and handled lots of Gold Class BM. To be honest, to me, they are just jazzed up versions of their production counterparts.

I did get a CRK. I'm just interesting in checking out a similar quality non framelock knife.

William Henry models, though probably not as robust as a Sebenza, should have similar quality and different locks.

I think that, the trouble is most locks tend to be developed by production companies. The Axis, the BBL, the compression lock, the Nak-Lok (which is probably similar to the button lock, but I'm not sure), the bolt action. And lockbacks are fairly complicated to make from what I've read, so I think non-production makers may shy away for that reason.

But check out the exchange forum here, customs by individuals and by makers, and you may find something you like.

How are we supposed to define "high end?" Does that just mean expensive/ overpriced or can "high end" just translate into high quality and good tolerances?

by high-end I mean high quality and tight tolerances. I have no interest in overpriced crap.

I looked a bit at William Henry, but I've heard that their knives sometimes ship with blade play, so that kind of put me off of them.

Not a whole lot of $500 non frame locks. Framelocks are pretty much the common style tough folder. You may look into something custom at that price. Or a lot of cheaper knives.

That ~500$ range is custom territory.

Looks like you'd be looking at one of the plunger locks (too aften associated with automatics). Based on my testing to failure, cheap Chinese and Taiwanese automatics, plunger locks are cabable of being pretty strong in comparison to many common locks (liner, frame, and lockback locks).

I'd look to some custom made knife with a plunger lock or one of the propriety locks, like the Gavins seem to be making. There are a few makers doing some interesting stuff out there.

Good luck in the search.

I'd go with the Spyderco Military or Benchmade 14205.
If you must spend a lot of money then I'd get a William Henry.

That or a Busse if you live somewhere you wouldn't get arrested carrying one.

I would strongly suggest you look at some of the excellent custom knife makers who have a presence on these forums. I know that if I were shopping at 5 bills, I would want something special.

Brian Tighe, slightly over $500.00 though.

TwistTighe.jpg

Back