Nicholson file

Aw shucks, I'm not used to anyone thinking I was right about anything :)

I forgot to mention everything suggested was really good advice, I just wanted to throw another loop in there for you to look at.

Oh, and I listed the 36" length on O1 because they sell it in 18" and 36" lengths at flat-stock. I didn't mean to use all 36"! footinmouth

And I really do recommend flat-stock.com, I'm sure Dave will too. They are very courteous and very fast. I always get my steel 2-3 business days from ordering it. I don't think you'd have any problem getting an order from them while staying at a hotel here.

Another nice thing about O1, is it's quite forgiving in heat-treat. You don't have to have all the crap I own in order to make a very servicable blade out of it.

Just as an aside, you can buy a 20' bar of 1095 for about $12 ;) But for a new guy, without a lot of fancy tools or experience getting a steel quenched QUICKLY, O1 is hard to beat.

Nick

OK Guys, I'm sold on holding my horses and getting a blank of 01. I would hate to spend what is probably going to be over 20 hours including the polishing to end up with a paper weight. I just dont know what I am going to do with 5 files that I will never wear out :p

Matt, the files are smooth teeth, not blank.

Thanks guys.

Hehe, you can say that about almost anything that you can play with :D

I'm looking for some fastners for the handle. I am going to try something a little unconventional and wanted to be able to unscrew it if I dont like it, so the tighten up and grind the head off type of fastner are out. Where can I find the caphad type that are recessed? I have looked on the net at Texas knife supply and a few others but cant source one.

The best knife making steel in the world is Hitachi blue and white paper steel, which comes ground in paper like O1. It isn't all that expensive in germany, so I don't see why it should be expensive in Japan.

The best blacksmiths in the world live in Japan, and they work over tiny homebuilt forges in cramped spaces. I'd check them out. I have a relative over there who has been spending his vacations troting around to various swordmakers. It's not just swords, their tool makers are the best, Miki is a center for that, I am told, no idea where it is though.

No disrespect but I think you have bought into their hype a bit. I have seen nothing in 10 years here that I havent seen on these forums. In fact the stuff here is miles ahead in originailty, form and function. Japanese stuff tends (for the most part) to be utilitarian.

I think a lot of people get confused about this place and see it as some super hi-tech place that is light years ahead of everyone else. It really isnt, in fact its still about 20 years behind the West in many respects. Yes, they are good at producing some stuff, but for the most part its 'reverse engineered' stuff from the West.

This is a very funny place, with a us against the rest of the world mentality. They shamelessly promote themselves with stuff that is not really their own design.

Sorry for the rant, but the BS I see and read here (Japan) each day just makes me want to puke at times.

Back