Nick Shabazz goes over the 100k YouTube subscriber mark

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Apr 1, 2020.

1. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    The knife reviewer/critic, Nick Shabazz, has now exceeded 100,000 YouTube subscribers.

I think he’s now a legitimate industry consumer influencer.

Originally, I loved each of his posts but over time I’ve personally become a bit hot and cold with his reviews and style.

Anyway, I have no relevant point to make but things seem a little slow on The Forum so I thought it could possibly stimulate some conversation.

There was a “Do you like Nick Shabazz?” (or something to that effect) thread a few months ago so it may be too early to get much interest in this.

But, we will see...

RobertK, Maxrez74, Boxer .45 and 2 others like this.
  2. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I think he is a really good data point. I like the disassembly videos, they give a real view of the inner workings and have been a big influence on my purchases. I live in a rural area, at least 2 hours one way from a real knife shop, so I can't exactly hold and inspect before I buy, so before I order I try to gather as much info as I can. These videos have been a major help.

Everyone has some level of bias, but Nick does seem to try to keep it to a reasonable minimum.

Some may find him annoying, I find him to be a splash of color in a somewhat bland landscape of reviewers. He has achieved more success than I'll ever see without ever showing his face.

3. josiahg52

josiahg52 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Only his voice is annoying. Like it's a put-on itself. I do like his content and as mentioned, it's another data point, opinion, perspective, etc.

4. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've used his reviews to help inform purchases. He provides legitimate value to at least some consumers. I definitely appreciate anyone's efforts to help when I'm trying to make informed decisions on things I'm considering. I don't accept anyone's views in any sort of dogmatic way, so I've found areas he likes to focus on that aren't relevant to me, which is of no surprise. The world isn't just about me and that's okay. His voice and accent are striking and I suspect that's contributed at least somewhat to what makes his videos memorable to viewers. I don't watch product review videos based on how a person sounds, so it makes no difference to me. I wish him the best and hope his following continues to grow.

5. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I think his Rolex magazine video was pretty funny...aside from that, knife review videos that try to be taken seriously aren’t really my deal

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  6. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    Just another dude with an opinion. I don't believe his actual opinion is as much a factor in his success as his take on the "bad review" rant style video ripping on bad stuff that everyone already knows is bad. I'm indifferent, but his character voice, yes he's playing a character, is annoying.

evilgreg, WValtakis and Quiet like this.
  7. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I personally like the breakdowns. Sometimes I disagree with a bad or a good or an ugly, but it's the thoroughness of the reviews that provide more information than I might get elsewhere.

8. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018

Congrats to the man with the hat.

GronK likes this.
  9. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    I watch his reviews, but mostly to see the size comparison and function of the knife. I like his stuff fine, and a lot of his points are valid. But when he started criticizing people that carry knives that are more "tactically oriented" and basically calling them names and insinuations I wasn't so impressed anymore.

10. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    who?

evilgreg and Jody744 like this.
  11. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I get the impression he doesn’t use knives for much other than envelopes and no real usage. So how can one give so many opinions on so many knives with so little use? He’s pretty much admitted that he doesn’t do much with em. No personal beef with him just opinion

Storm 8593, Korean Hog, Quiet and 3 others like this.
  12. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Good reviewer, just needs to back down on the caffeine or something lol.

CoryMc, Pomsbz, JDRanger and 2 others like this.
  13. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    I watch his videos. It's nice to see the knife and hear opinion.

One thing irritates me: he's always moving his DAMN HANDS around quick, spinning the knife around quick.
    He needs to S L O W. D O W N. so I can SEE every angle of the blade, instead of a blur

Other then that, his channel is great

elde66 likes this.
  14. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    His channel is entertaining and free.

I appreciate both of those attributes.

15. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Congrats Nick! I enjoy his work

16. N4SIR

N4SIR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2008
    meh he craps all over ZT and some benchmades calling them "murdery" etc and compares everything to a frigging spyderco delica (he thinks is the gold standard of knives lol)
    yeah hes gotten a bit stale ..called a ZT 0452 "tactical murder banana"

lzeplin and JDRanger like this.
  17. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Even though I dont always agree with his reviews, I still appreciate the entertainment he provides. I also think he has helped a lot of people become knife enthusiasts and I applaud that.

patrickguignot and JDRanger like this.
  18. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    He's alright. What I can't stand in some of his, and other review videos, are the over exclamatory hand gestures.

UmnumMAN likes this.
  19. yamsi12

yamsi12 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]

20. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    This X2. Can't see the knives when he moves hands quick!

Makes me want to slap him to wuhan