Nick Shabazz Sebenza Review Round 2

Hey everybody, thanks very much for the feedback and opinions about the video! I appreciate you taking the time to watch it.

It's great hearing all your differing opinions, and you make some great points, particularly the long-term durability and use argument. A given Sebenza will almost certainly be a better knife after 20 years of everyday use than most others, particularly with CRK's warranty. "Simple, overdone, with no cut corners" is a recipe for a good, hard... worker :D I'd still take an Umnum or a TiLock over the Sebenza every day of the week, though!

Regardless, I'm just another random guy with a knife and an opinion. That's the joy of opinions: we don't all need to have the same one. Luckily that's also the joy of voices. Because yeah... sorry about that.

No need to be sorry for having an opinion..If we had all the same opinion, then the world would be quite boring ;)

No company is perfect. I carry my Mammoth ivory Small 21 literally every day at work, along with a multi tool. I would not choose another folding knife for EDC, and I have tried plenty.

But I can understand the problems people have with CRK knives sometimes. I've had one myself in the past. If CRK ain't for you, it ain't for you. I'm glad it's for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

[video=youtube;T4DNRn-sK-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c[/video]

im not saying they suck, but they are not perfect either. ive handled a few sebenza's but thats about it. i have the same opinion as nick does. i respect them for the tolerances and the quality.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

[video=youtube;T4DNRn-sK-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c[/video]

im not saying they suck, but they are not perfect either. ive handled a few sebenza's but thats about it. i have the same opinion as nick does. i respect them for the tolerances and the quality.

Worthless test IMO. I used to own a custom Andrew Demko ad-15. The fit, finish, and overall quality were nowhere near a CRK. The only advantage you get from his or cold steels knives is a stronger lock. For everyday, real world use, a lock of that caliber is completely unnecessary. I eventually sold the Demko and went back to my umnumzaan. Couldn't be happier.

Previous Mo2 statement on page two ....

Nicks review is spot on. lots of haters and fanboys will hate him for it tho. ignorance is bliss.

CRK is known for the best tolerances in the biz tho.

Statement above...

I guess a similar example would be if someone agrees with another reviewers opinion that a Porsche is not worth the money, but then later admits they have sat in one, but have never driven one.

:rolleyes:

Previous Mo2 statement on page two ....

Statement above...

I guess a similar example would be if someone agrees with another reviewers opinion that a Porsche is not worth the money, but then later admits they have sat in one, but have never driven one.

:rolleyes:

so i have to suffer with a knife i dont like for how long before its an acceptable answer? i love your troll type reply tho. i enjoy porsches and gt-r's. i like expensive high quality knives, just agree with everything Nick says about it. at least ive handled some.

Last edited:
so i have to suffer with a knife i dont like for how long before its an acceptable answer?

No suffering needs to occur, just figured one would need to do more than handle a few to poke the fanboys.

I'm quoting suffering, handling a few and fanboys from you.

This thread has zombie blood in it.

Bhyde needs to headshot it.

The problem with closing it after Mo2 posted the video is that we can handle dissenting opinions and if I close it, we/us will perpetrate a belief that it's not possible for anyone here to take some criticism. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion opposite of the majority.
Spice of life and all that bidnezz..

What I will not tolerate is trolling..Come here to troll, then I will give out some chiclets for the effort. If discussion is the point, then it's fine.

This video is a tabletop review by Nick Shabazz of a small Sebenza 21 insingo with micarta inlays. Nick is pretty well known on Youtube for his well thought out gear reviews, and I think he has a lot of interesting things to say about knives. About a year ago he posted a video about his plain Jane small 21 insingo that he owned for only 36 hours before selling. Per the advice of viewers, he gave the Sebenza another shot. This the second time he has reviewed this knife.

What do you make of this review? What are your thoughts? I agree with some of his points, and disagree with others. I would like to see what you all think, and get a discussion going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDXNoPlpOBM

Just finished watching the video. I also agree with some of it. Where I think he is absolutely wrong is when he says other companies have the same build quality at a lower price. He may like the Slysz Bowie design better but to say the machining is on par with a sebenza is just plain ignorant.

so i have to suffer with a knife i dont like for how long before its an acceptable answer? i love your troll type reply tho. i enjoy porsches and gt-r's. i like expensive high quality knives, just agree with everything Nick says about it. at least ive handled some.

My bad..it appears that I typed up my previous reply to this thread and then got distracted..and then submitted it without looking at the thread for follow-on replies..
I apparently missed this post..had I seen it earlier, my comment would be very different as I was giving the benefit of doubt when you posted the link to the video.

Let's get this straight..

You post your comment about "ignorance is bliss", referring to those that don't agree with the youtube review. Could have stopped there
You then posted the video..I would have probably let this slide for the aforementioned reasons I posted
Then you post even further about not liking the knives here, of all places here? So, if you don't like them, why are you here if not to troll?

I don't like a great many knives, but have never felt the need to enter the manufactures forums to vocalize it.

All of this is adding up to trolling on your part..

He is entertaining. I own more CRK Mnandis (15) than Sebenzas (7) or Zaans (1) or fixed blades (1) and my smaller but fat fingered hands have no problems with any of them. Do not stone me but I also own many other knives. Some of them are gasp not very expensive. Opening envelopes and cutting cardboard does not require a CRK knife of any sort. However, when I use a CRK knife for any purpose (including just ogling) I smile.

"It's a beautiful thing" ....about drove me nuts.

Good review overall. I disagree with most of his negative points. I do in a way agree with his argument on the discomfort of the thumbstud. I dont have too much problem with them nowadays, but they can be challenging.

Here's a challenge for CRK owners: rinse your hands under the sink and without drying them, immediately try to open your 25 or 21. I often have to use my CRKs in wet weather or when my hands or sweaty.

Here's a challenge for CRK owners: rinse your hands under the sink and without drying them, immediately try to open your 25 or 21. I often have to use my CRKs in wet weather or when my hands or sweaty.

I have no issues with with mine, do you find it to be an issue?

My 2 cents on an earlier post contemplating correlation between when someone gets into collecting and what they like. I think it is more about what you, as an individual, look for in a knife. I just started collecting in the past year. My path started with BM. Then I tried a ZT. Then I started reading forums and watching YouTube. There was so many products available that I finally decided it would be wiser to hang out at my local brick and mortar (local being 1 hour away) and just try things out. Fortunately, the guys that run my local knife shop are enthusiastic and very patience. A very beneficial combination for me. Through trial and error, I found that CRK produces the kind of products that I want. Simple, straightforward, and consistent.

I like everything about the Large 21. So, I don't think it is about when you get into knives. It is probably more about what interests you and how influenced you are by other people as you nurture your own addiction. I also think budget plays a big role.

To be fair, I actually agree with some of Nick's review as he is commenting on the small 21 and, as much as I want to like that knife, I just can't get into it. The ergos just don't work for me. Comparing it to another small knife in the line up, I wish it felt more like the Ti-Lock in hand. I also think that some parts of Nick's review are bunk. I am not sure what he is doing wrong but he shouldn't require an exaggerated wrist flip to open the Sebenza and my Sebenza's all drop freely after disengaging the lock-bar. I didn't even have to polish the washers. The thumb stud never bothered me too much. I think that flicking the Sebenza (small or large) is simply a matter of technique. Though, I would prefer double lugs as that helps with stability while sharpening.

No way I am reading all these posts, here are my 2 cents worth on Nasal Nick...
He is a classic reviewer who doesn't use the knIves he talks about. That doesn't help me out. Carry it, use it, sharpen it and get to know it, then talk to me. His comments on steels are many times inaccurate, and I doubt he can sharpen.
His accent cracked me up but I can watch or listen to him for knife info.
I am not going to watch his sebenza critique and you can't make me, his type of review is just noise for me

Russ

Back