NIck Wheeler 12 month knife evaluation

I'm not calling this a review because I am sure someone would tell me I'm not qualified to review knives and that would hurt my feelings.
I bought this knife 12 months ago at the ABS exposition in Reno. Its got a 3 1/2" 1084 blade with an amazing wavy temper line. Some sort of stabilized wood handle, with pins and a lanyard hole. It came with one of the best quality sheaths I have ever seen. Nick includes a very nice, official looking spec sheet.
The blade has a distal taper, giving it an extremely fine point. The bevels are ground absolutely perfectly even. plunge cuts dead nuts. Back of blade has slight radius, and bevels, but not a sharp false edge. Again everything is even and in proportion.
The handle is stabilized and has proven to be VERY durable. Nice color and figure. The knife is compact, but was never uncomfortable in my big hands. Scales are tight to the tang all around, even after a year of wet/dry, hot/cold, and humid/dry conditions.
Lots of use, little care.... Any one that has visited my home or camp or shop, has certainly seem this knife. It has been used outside, in the barn, hunting cabin, and especially abused in the kitchen and knife shop. It is stained but doesn't have a spec of rust. I use it in the kitchen and to cut up my dinner. Strips electrical wire, opens cardboard boxes, scrapes solder and epoxy off knife tangs, sharpens pencils, cuts leather for sheath making, I hate to think how much pizza it has sliced! It laid in a puddle of water for days on my kitchen counter, left a stain in the shape of the handle on the formica. Left it on the stove several times while baking, not hot, but real warm for hours. I have sharpened it only 3-4 times.
This knife has held an edge like I couldn't believe. there is no damage to the edge at all. Sharpens easily. The design has endless uses. Handle is still perfectly fit to the tang and surprisingly doesn't even have a nick in it.
I guess what I'm saying is its the type of knife that will still be laying around on my kitchen counter, or work bench, or cabin 20 years from now. Its a great, practical, well made knife, that doesn't require a lot of care and I'm spoiled because I'm just used to having it around all the time.

f9ef4112.jpg

Amen brother. Not a lot of fluff, just practical knife xperience in the real world. I am honored to say I have handled Nick's blades and have also seen Dan's home, shop and camp :D Folks, he ain't just spewin' here. Dan treats knives like knives, regardless of who makes them. His seal of approval is gospel in my book. You are more than qualified to do a knife review my friend!

I also second that Nick makes a fine blade. I have three of them and use two of them a lot, one extensively as Dan has his. Not a single gripe coming from me. Great edge holding, easy to sharpen, durable and comfy in the handle department. A little cocobolo handled utility is kept in my truck at all times. Even the last few days in -30 degree weather. Nick, consider your knives now "Artic tested and approved" :eek:

I've seen a few of nick's knives in person, but have never had the pleasure of using one. That is about the perfect size utility knife a person needs. For me, I have huge hands. I like smaller blades because they are easier to control and better for general utility. I always run into the problem that with shorter blades, come shorter handles. With that knife you got there dan, the handle looks to be plenty big for large hands, while keeping the blade under 4" Some of my personal favorites are the bird/trout type knives with 4.5-5" handles and 2.5-3" blade. Makes a great utility knife.

I am also delighted to see other makers buying, using, and evaluating custom knives of fellow makers. I get so caught up in buying from makers, that I often forget they are knife nuts too. No wonder the bars at the show don't empty until morning. There, we aren't makers, collectors, dealers, etc... We're all knife nuts talking about fine knives.

Thanks for the great review, Dan. I'm definately gonna check Nick's stuff out in Atlanta.

JR

A star is born.
He makes beautiful knives.

Dan-

I wish you would have contacted me and let me know it's only good for a letter opener :)

Thank you my friend...a very complete review, and I'm am SOOOO pleased that it has gotten the approval from you.

I know your views on knives...they should be used...all that goes into them should be celebrated in use.

I think that thing had a 6000x polished finish for the hamon...but somebody went and got it all stained ;)

Thanks again Dan, I REALLY appreciate you buddy.

I'll see you in Reno next week!!!
Nick

Dan has a lot of nice knives. He can certainly make a heck of a knife himself. The fact that he has enjoyed this knife so much really says a lot, both about its overall design and construction and the maker himself.

It's nice to see comments made after a reasonable time, not the 'I got it today and it's beautiful' .And it's nice to see that it's a working knife even though the patina might make Nick cry after all that polishing work.

I love it! A Wheeler that looks like hell! All of em Ive seen look too good! Thanks you made my day!

I admire the makers' ability to make a hard-core working knife look good and handle well. (Not the other way around.)This is where it counts. Jason.

Back