1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Nick Wheeler Knives... Got one?

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by RyanW, Aug 17, 2012.

1. RyanW

RyanW Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 17, 2009
    I was lucky enough to spend some time this past April at Nick's House / Shop... he took us in and showed us whatever we were interested in learning. Nick is among the top makers on my list of makers to work towards in my knife making ventures. We have all heard and more importantly seen how amazing Nick's knives are. I was lucky enough to handle a few of his fighters in person which is a must in order to completely appreciate his work.

I know Nick will not toot his own horn, so I will... I am not in a financial position to buy one of Nick's large fighters, but I saw him post up some Frame handled utility / hunters at a ridiculous price (IMO) so I jumped on one.

I just got it in the mail today and all I can say is, THANK YOU NICK! This knife is immaculate. I am amazed that Nick lets anything leave his shop due to his attention to detail and his strive for Perfection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/981110-Two-hunter-utility-knives-up-for-sale

2. Michael Starr

Michael Starr Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2003
    He should use you as a hand model :D ...when Angi is unavailable, of course!
    Great looking knife - awesome photos

3. RyanW

Jul 17, 2009
    Haha Thanks Michael. Angi's hands make the knife look bigger :D

4. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    That's what she said :)

Great knife congrats

All kidding aside Nick is truly a makers maker, meaning he does something every maker should strive for but few will ever achieve.

As for who's got one ?........ hell my everyday user is a Wheeler :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That is so my kinda knife. All business but well dressed. Sweet.

6. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    That is a great looking knife for sure! Lucky you!

Steve
    ------------
    Potomac Forge

7. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    Nice score Ryan!! :thumbup:
    No Wheeler steel here..............yet.

8. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    Very nice Ryan, good score. :thumbup:

9. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice knife Ryan. I would love to have one. It's not within my means as of now but I agree he does amazing work. Joe got it right that Nick's work reflects aspect not enough makers achieve. I am sure trying to figure out how to get it just so like Nick.

Chris

10. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    Oh wow, thank you Ryan!!! :) I really appreciate you going above and beyond like this. It's always a bit intimidating to sell a knife to another knife maker in the first place... so to have you follow up like this is awesome. THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad I've been getting better with my stitcher since you put the back side of the sheath in the photo... :p ;)

Thank you so much Ryan! :)

11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Not yet, but I hope too one day.

12. RyanW

Jul 17, 2009
  13. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    Just ordered number 2!:victorious:

14. RyanW

Jul 17, 2009
    Nice Grab Greg!! you won't be sorry...

15. OTK

OTK

Feb 10, 2010
    Ive got huge respect for Nick and his work. I don't really make knives in the same style as his, but his stuff and his execution knock me out. The start to finish tutorial he did taught me so many things I truly owe the guy!

16. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    Thats a good utility. I used to own these two oldies.

This one has Cashen twist damascus

[​IMG]

The this one was forged by Nick.

[​IMG]

17. RyanW

Jul 17, 2009
    Oh Damn, Wheeler Stag! Wish I hadn't seen that :)

18. gga357

gga357 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Proud to own one.

19. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    Ryan, what a great score! That knife is a beauty.:thumbup:

Everything Ryan said in his orig post is spot on. I was with Ryan on the trip in April, and watching Nick work and seeing what goes on in his shop is amazing. I learned more in 12 hours than I could teach myself in a year, and Nick and Angi are a pleasure to be around.

Great knife from a great guy!

20. ISKski

ISKski Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Just this little bit of Wheeler Steel, But I LOVE this knife, Sadly I had to leave it at home while im on Vacation, but i can't wait to return to that combo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]