Nick, you make one tough knife...

I just got back from our annual 4 day hike and it was a wild ride.The first 2 days were quiet lazy days of hiking and fishing but day 3 was different. The minute we started hiking it started raining.That turned to a downpour and that turned into what I figure is the same type of rain God tried to wipe out the world with in the Bible.It rained harder than I have ever seen before and it kept it up for almost 9 hours.We slopped into camp around 6 in the evening and fire was on our mind.Dave,one of the guys who hikes with us is an excellent fire maker so he started to get things organized under a large tarp we strung up. Long story short he got a small flame into a fire with wet birch bark and twigs but he needed dry wood.We had a lot cut with our hatchets and in my case my Fort Turner Rogers Rangers Tomahawk so I grabbed the closest block of small maple and a pece of softwood and started batoning.We were very cold and soaked to the bone and NEEDED this fire so I kept splitting wood with my NWA forum knife until we had a respectable pile built up.I beat that knife like a rented government mule through all types of wood.When I was done it was still shaving sharp.I was blown away with the edge retention.She looked pretty rough when I got her home.after 2 straight days of rain (yes it rained on the last day too) it was pretty stained up. but still as sharp as when I got it.
Here's a shot from our last water stop......
picture.php

Thanks Nick for your great knife.It really saved our asses out there.

Woot woot! Awesome experience Savage :thumbup: Can't wait for mine :) I love that it kept it's edge after that beating. Looks like it was a wet puppy for two days straight for sure :)

ETA:
We were very cold and soaked to the bone and NEEDED this fire so I kept splitting wood with my NWA forum knife until we had a respectable pile built up.I beat that knife like a rented government mule through all types of wood.When I was done it was still shaving sharp.I was blown away with the edge retention. [...]
Thanks Nick for your great knife.It really saved our asses out there.

That is a fine and rare compliment indeed. Glad you guys stayed safe.

Last edited:
Sweet write up Savage:thumbup: It now look well used:D I'm glad it performed so well for you and you got your fire going. Rain sure does suck when your outdoors:thumbdn: So what did your comrads think of it?

Thanks
Nick:)

Sounds like a wicked trip Savage!

That NWA looks well loved bro!

That sounds like a rough trip man. Seems like whenever it decides to rain and your out there, it's the strongest, longest lasting downpour.
At least you had an awesome tool in the forum knife to help out. It's funny, Nicks forum knife was the first knife I ever had that was made from O1, and I was unsure how it would perform. Now, that's definitely my favorite steel. If you ask me, they look even more beautiful with all the marks, scars and stains on them too :thumbup:

Yeah I love all the love marks on it now.gives it more character.I did get her clean though.
The boys were not as interested in the knife as they were the wood I was processing with it.We were really cold and wet.One of the guys did comment on how hard I beat it later when we were warmer.that was when I shaved the hair off of my arm with it.That got some laughs.

Hell of a good knife eh Savage?
I got one of them and then got the bigger one, and now have a smaller one on order.
Great knives.

Cheers

Thought I'd let you know.I'm hiking that same trail in a few days and I'm taking my Scout with me again.This time she's getting some tuff cloth beforehand.It's going to be my dedicated "trail" knife from now on.

Hey Savage,
I just know that the Scout is going to stand up to whatever you throw at it.
You should get Nick to make you a Woodsman. That is an awesome knife.

On another note, got the Muskrat from Nick and I just love it!
Posted some pictures on here when I got it, but they weren't very good.
Haven't had the camera available for a couple of months, so when I finally do get it,
I'm going to post some pictures of all three stuck in wood, and cuttin things.

Hope your trip is a good one Savage!
Cheers
Dave

Lol may get hit with a Hurricane on Sunday.Oh well life is full of little challenges.
I got my Scout all sharpened,oiled and waiting in my spec-ops sheath.(it sits lower than my usual sheath and fits under my hip straps on my pack).I'll talk to you boys in 4 days.

Well.I'm back.......
The lesson I learned from this trip is you have to make sure your people can handle the trip.I'll explain.
There were 3 of us going hiking through our favorite trail.4 day trip of pretty rugged hills.Myself and 1 other of our troop were hiking through quite well but the third guy wasn't really up to it.he had done it before but times change I guess.Long story short we only made it half way through before we had to abort.The stress was too much for him.I didn't finish by myself because the Hurricane was supposed to hit on our last day and I wasn't too hot about the idea of hiking alone through that so I came out with the other 2.they were brothers and one wouldn't leave the other.
But on the bright side we got some nice knife shots.The Sierra Scout worked beautifully again.
Trapped by the tide first morning on a nice beach...
tripsmall.jpg

Dinner on the first night.Pitas and freeze-dried rice and chicken.mmmmmmmmm
tripsmall1.jpg

We found ourselves at a nice waterfall later on the second day.A really nice spot.
tripsmall2.jpg

I used my knife to process everything from firewood to dinner and again it didn't disappoint at all.Although it has stormed both times I've taken it on the trail.That's the only complaint I can find about this great knife.

Cool pics man:thumbup: Sorry to hear your trip got cut short. That first pic on shore, sure looks like it is beautiful up there.

I know I sure like that knife platform:D I am a bit biased though.

Maybe I could interst you in one of these in D-2
BullNoseSkinner002.jpg

This would cure most, if not all of your corrosion issues.

Thanks
Nick:)

Last edited:
I say yes my credit card says no.If anything though I'd want a Sierra Scout in D2 with the bushcrafter handle and maybe a slight drop point.Wood scales.But I'm just saying.

Great story and the knife was probably one of the best deals on the forum, love mine.

Back