NIGHT INDEX

Chris Reeve Knives

Boise Moderator
The question has come up recently about how to identify the night index on the Project I and Project II. Hopefully this will help those not familiar with the index to gain a better understanding of what it is and where to find it.

A flat is machined into the 2" cross guard to act as a night index. When holding the knife in your hand, use your thumb and index finger to feel the cross guard. The right side will have a ridge; the left side will not have a ridge but a flat area. By touching the flat you will know which direction the cutting edge is facing. The purpose of the index is not having to extend the fingers forward to feel the cutting edge.

In the picture below we show both sides of the Project I. On the left you can clearly see the flat on the cross guard. The right is the opposite side of the Project I with the normal ridge on the cross guard. The night index is easy to identify once you understand what to look for.

crk-pic-1.jpg

Questions? Comments? Please let us know!

On the smaller models you can extend your thumb over the side of the guard and check the blade. It's usually easy to notice the ledge where the hollow grind starts. This indicates where the edge is located.

Back