Nihonto advice

I just bought an old katana in old polish. I'm wondering how to keep it oiled. I use break free clp on my knives. Is that ok to use on a katana in old polish? And what is old polish?

See http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/care.htm

Old polish means still in polish with all hamon and hada visible, but maybe a bit dull. Don't use break free on Nihonto and don't try to brighten the polish yourself. More damage is done by amateurs "repairing/fixing/polishing" swords than any other way.

No offense intended, just protecting old swords.
Rich

Why wouldn't you use Break Free on a sword? I understand trying to be traditional...I get that....REALLY get that...and respect it. Camellia oil is often recommended. I don't see any issue using Break Free myself, other than it being non traditional.

You want to protect the blade but not contaminate the saya (sheath)

For long time storage I use Tuff Glide and I let the blade dry before I resheath

Most sayas are made of Ho wood or Magnolia

I am definitely a traditionalist but be careful of that "clove" oil in the cheap sword kits. Most of it is nothing more than mineral oil with a drop of clove oil added for smell. I suspect any light machine oil is as good as that stuff.

I'm also a traditionalist, but I use light mineral oil when I clean and uchiko my Nihonto. I suspect any non-acidic oil, like sewing machine oil would work ok. I just don't know the composition of Break Free. Being in a stable temp and humidity, I keep them un-oiled and just check them occasionally.
Rich

Back