Nimravus any good?

For the money, you would probably be better served by a Fallkniven F1. The nimravus blade is fine, but the handles really aren't that good. The F1 and its bigger brother the A1, are far superior to the Nim.

While I'm looking for this nimravus, I might as well go into the market for a good strong folder with a 3-4inch blade. Any suggestions from BM?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that Canada is cold in the winter. Any additional thoughts on the handles?

And thoughts on D2 steel as opposed to 154CM?

I recommend the Rukus as well. It's one of their strongest folders, great steel and I find the design very appealing.

Steel/metal (including aluminum) handles might be too cold to work with in cold weather so another material such as G10 or micarta might be preferable.

D2 holds an edge better, is a harder steel (which also makes it a little more brittle) and more prone to rusting than 154cm, so they both have their advantages and disadvantages

The Rukus is the BIG folder in my pictures...the one that's in the brown leather sheath. It is the definition of beefy and finesse: beefinesse. It is larger, when open, than the Nimravus. More than an 1/8" of S30V steel. THrow in the AXIS lock and you have beefinesse.

I don;t like D2. I own a RAT3 in D2 and I cannot get it as sharp as I want it. There are guys in this forum who can. Most use diamonds and my guess is they're exceptional sharpeners. I am not....not when it comes to D2. Give me 154CM anyday.

Last edited:
It's horribly uncomfortable. I whittled a point on a hard-wood dowel with one and sold it immediately after.

Thanks for the info guys. Yea I'm not so much worried about cold handles in the winter because I'm always wearing gloves, I was thinking more about a strong grip. Strength is more important to me than the hardness of the blade. I also can't make sure my knife is well oiled in the field.

All of this stuff has been really informative guys, thanks.

Edit: These fallknivens are really making me doubt myself, they look good. What sort of reputation do they have?

Last edited:
Fallkniven has a great reputation.
I recommend you get the Benchmade CSK II. Much like the Fallkniven S1 but made from carbon steel...and about half the price. It's coated so rust isn't an issue.

Back