1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Clay hamon Bowie

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by PaulDiStefano, Aug 11, 2018.

1. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    Hey guys, I made this knife a week before bladeshow and brought it. It was the first no Clay hamon blade that I did. I thought I'd ask what you guys think of this style of hamon.
    I've done hamons on just about every single knife I've made so far and I'm having fun switching up styles and playing around. Right now I'm enjoying the no clay funkiness!

I personally like all the activity and wildness as I can manage to put on the blade.

I wanted to hear your guys perspective and see what you guys think. For example is it a style you would personally collect? Do you like the random smokey craziness? Would you like to buy a knife with a hamon like this or one that's more controlled laid out like we're used to seeing?

Thanks for looking guys!! all thoughts are welcome!

IMG_2245.JPG

kuraki, Josh Rider, Dawkind and 3 others like this.
  2. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Wow, that's one fine looking bowie, I love its length!

I don't collect knives since I'm another maker myself so I can't say much about what you're asking, but I can say that I'd like to see a larger picture :D

From what I'm able to see, I love the hamon this has. No clay hamon (when done right, like this one) can be a nice change of pace from the sharply defined clay patterns. This one look incredible. For whatever it may be worth, one example of a non-clayed hamon that I'm personally not too fond of is when there are basically just splotches all over the blade and no visible distinctions between a hard edge and softer spine, like if it has a lot of breaks of hardened areas that go up to the spine all along the blade, but this one looks very well controlled with time/temp.

Nice work!

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

valknut and PaulDiStefano like this.
  3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    nice and scary :D

PaulDiStefano and Dawkind like this.
  4. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Awesome looking Bowie and the hamon is something else!!! :cool:

I’m enamored by the style and length of this Badboy....great job my friend. :)

PaulDiStefano likes this.
  5. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    Hmm that's an interesting thought you bring up about the distinctions between the hard edge and softer spine. On this one it did come out rather clear. On the on I'm working on now in the Bronze Age thread during the test etch I believe there is no clear distinction and it is all splotchy with hardness going to the spine. I won't know for sure until I do the final polishing but it will be fun to compare the two and see what I end up liking better.
    The only real difference between the two is this ones spine was just about exactly .250 thick and then tapers and the other one was about .210 thick and then tapers. It's fun to see howThat little difference completely changes the hamon.

6. PaulDiStefano

Nov 14, 2016
    Thanks. To my eye Sometimes simple straight lines look really nice and I like to think it makes the knife a whole lot more versatile and useful for many different applications.

I also hate knives under 11inches now. I've made a few but after making ones longer like this 11.25 inch I believe. I'll never go back :)

Dawkind likes this.
  7. PaulDiStefano

Nov 14, 2016
    Haha thanks john!

Dawkind likes this.
  8. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    So much activity! Very pretty, I’d love to see more pics of it at different angles.

9. PaulDiStefano

Nov 14, 2016
    I took a video of it and put it on my instagram. then I deleted it from my phone which I regret because I then tried to move it onto here but couldn't figure it out.
    So there is a short video of it on my instagram moving it around a bit if you wanna see it a little better

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    lovely.