Photos No date stamp?

eveled

Gold Member
i was going through my 110’s and I noticed I have one without a date stamp.

5E1880D9-2027-4886-ACDB-E42AB7D9507A.jpeg I bought it in 2016 from eBay. It has the old standard diamond wood laminate handle I prefer. So that narrows it down.

Last edited:
do blade replacements have date stamps? I realize you probably didnt have the blade replaced, but ya got me thinking......

Yes all the replacements I have are dated.

The laminated handles came out in 1994 I think? So it should have a date.

I found it in my records. It came from eBay for $27. In 2016. In new condition. With a nylon sheath. So I think it must have been a Walmart special. It’s laminated for sure. (I edited my original post to add this info)

Last edited:
view

Here it is when I first got it. In 2016 when I joined here. This picture was taken before I sent the others to the spa. At the time these were the only 3 Buck knives I owned. Then I bought the broken 111

I wish I noticed it back then. How would an early 70’s blade in new condition end up on a 90’s (or later) knife?

Must have been at the bottom of the blade bin at the factory. Or found under a shelf?

Last edited:
I guess it’s not that bad. If they used that stamp up to 86. If the laminate handles started in 94. It’s only an eight year gap.

1972-1974)
Stamp: BUCK, 110, U.S.A., left hand. Read with tip point up, 440C steel. Blade/Butt rivets: Visible on both sides of bolsters, 2 rear, 1 front.
Inlay rivets: 2 (small headed)
Rocker rivet: Stainless, headed.
The blade is this from what I have learned

very very rarely when we are changing year stamps, the new one wont be in yet, but we don't want to put the old dates on blades, so the year code gets ground off the old stamp. I think this is the case here. I do not believe it is an old blade in a new body.. The old blades are gold around here and we certainly do not have any new ones, just rescued gently used ones. So we would not have done the blade replacement if it is an old blade. interesting question..
Another variation for you all to hunt for ...lol

i was going through my 110’s and I noticed I have one without a date stamp.

View attachment 1195006 I bought it in 2016 from eBay. It has the old standard diamond wood laminate handle I prefer. So that narrows it down.
It looks like there’s some light file work or gimping / jimping LoL how ever it’s spelled on the back of the blade

Thank you Mr. Hubbard! I was not aware of the possibility that could happen. I'll have to keep it in mind in my search for odd 112's. Down through the years there's many odd knives we see and the hunt for the oddballs is a big part of the fun of collecting...

Mr. Hubbard, Thank you for clarifying about the missing year stamp. This has happened another time, seems like around 2010. Knives were produced
with out a year date stamp. It was written about in the Collectors news letter. I have one of the knives somewhere, I'll find it. DM

Ok, I found the article that talks about no year date stamp. It is in the March 2017 BCCI newsletter and the article 'Have you seen one of these?' By Joe Houser, pg. 16. It tells about a snafu that occurred in early 2013 when that years stamp was not ordered in time for the first production run. So, it was decided to go forward with production and stamp those knives with no year code. Thus, some 110's, 112's and 500
series were sent out the doors with no year stamp. Perhaps you'll stumble on to one of these. DM

Ok, I found the article that talks about no year date stamp. It is in the March 2017 BCCI newsletter and the article 'Have you seen one of these?' By Joe Houser, pg. 16. It tells about a snafu that occurred in early 2013 when that years stamp was not ordered in time for the first production run. So, it was decided to go forward with production and stamp those knives with no year code. Thus, some 110's, 112's and 500
series were sent out the doors with no year stamp. Perhaps you'll stumble on to one of these. DM
Excellent info.

I think you’ve found the answer. That must be what mine is. Thanks David.

... and the 111

Haebbie

550EB598-C61E-47EF-8DB2-D9D7421C61D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back