No knife content: sad dog story

A lot of Forumites were informed of this story, which has come to a conclusion, and rather than emailing everyone who offered sympathies, I thought it'd be easier to tell what happened here...
One of my beloved Golden Retrievers, Phoenix, finally passed away last night. She was to be 2 years old in two weeks. Phoenix was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her right hind leg about 6 months ago. The only option was amputation, after which she did very well and was very happy until 5 weeks ago. She had developed a cough, and expecting the worst we had her lungs x-rayed,, the films from which showed hundreds of small tumors. The bone cancer, which is incredibly aggressive, had metastisized to her lungs. She was still pretty happy for about three weeks, then the last two were quite difficult and we were only able to shower her with love and make her comfortable. God finally took mercy on her and ended her suffering Sunday night, and now I truly believe she rests peacefully in Heaven. Phoenix was the absolute nicest, most loving, friendliest little retriever ever, and that is what really made her suffering so difficult on us. I was lucky in that I had four weeks vacation from school and work and was able to spend nearly all of every day with Phoenix. We also took several rolls of pictures and got some that really punctuated Phoenix's looks and attitude. At sometime in the near future I will upload these pictures and make them a webpage. Anyway, I'd like to thank the other Forums members who were so gracious with their empathy in our time of need. God bless...

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Chiro,

It sounds as if you and Phoenix were very fortunate to have known each other and touched each other's lives.

Peace be with you.

[This message has been edited by Howard Wallace (edited 19 July 1999).]

My deepest condolences. I too, love dogs a lot, and Retrievers are one of the breeds that are truly loveable.

I'm sure she's in Doggie Heaven by now. Sorry for the loss.

Dan

Sorry to hear about your loss, Chiro. I lost my dog Kodiak in June after 13 great years, and I can certainly relate.

Chiro, my deepest sympathies for your loss. Our animal friends become very dear to us, and it does sound like you were blessed for the time you had. Hang in there.

AJ

Deepest sympathies Chiro. I've lost a lot of dogs in my life to age and disease and it's always hard.

My condolences......

I have a 14 month old dog and care about him more than most people. I know how devastated I would be should anything happen to him, so my heart goes out to you and your family. They bring so much laughter and joy into your life that it makes it that much harder when they pass on. I think your dog is up there smiling down on you. Again, my sincerest condolences.
-Rhyno

My condolences...

I understand how you feel. My best friend passed away 3 months ago. I will have a web site soon - my brand will be named after my bud - Scooter Brand Custom Knives.

My other best friend sent me this when he heard the news...

CS Lewis, one of the most brilliant and logical Christian minds of this century has some thoughts to comfort us at a time such as this. Here are some quotes from his book “The Problem of Pain”:
“At some point sentience almost certainly comes in, for the higher animals have nervous systems very like our own.”
“If animals were, in fact, immortal, it is unlikely, from what we discern of God’s method in the revelation, that He would have revealed this truth.”
“The tame animal is therefore, in the deepest sense, the only “natural”
animal - the only one we see occupying the place it was made to occupy, and
it is on the
tame animal that we must base all our doctrine of beasts. Now it will be
seen that, in so far as the tame animal has a real self or personality, it
owes this almost
entirely to it’s master”
“And in this way it seems to me possible that certain animals may have an
immortality, not in themselves, but in the immortality of their masters.”
“In other words, the man will know his dog: the dog will know it’s master and, in knowing him, will be itself.”
Darren, I believe that where there is a bond between a person and a dog, that bond will reunite them in heaven. It is a good thing to believe, especially at a time like this.

Best wishes.

Chiro,

There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said. But, I feel your pain. God be with you.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Chiro75,

My deepest sympathies go to you and your family during your time of loss. I know no words will assuage the grief that you feel, but take comfort in knowing that we feel your pain. Most of us know what it feels like to lose a pet and it is never easy. And eventhough Phoenix is no longer with you, I'm sure she's watching over you wherever she is.

God bless you.

Ada

[This message has been edited by Ada (edited 20 July 1999).]

Sorry to here of your loss,we to lost a loving faithful freind about 8 months ago to Heartworm.He was a 10 year old Golden Retreiver named Mitch.

------------------

I'm also sorry to hear of your loss. I still feel the hurt from losing my old hunting partner Huey. Hang Tough

Will you have it stuffed?
wink.gif
Just a little humor in your time of loss...
smile.gif

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

Stompy, humor is not appropriate.

My sincere regrets at your loss. Our dog is loved as much as our child, even sleeps in our bed.

I wasn't going to respond to any of these as I didn't feel a response was needed, but you, Stompy, can go **** yourself. I don't give a rat's ass if you think that was funny or not, but I certainly didn't. If you knew someone whose child had just died of terminal cancer would you ask the same question? Idiot. If you were standing in front of me asking that question you'd be in the emergency room right quick. I can't believe what an insensitive "person" you are. Someday you should try thinking before you write/speak. You may find it effective. I can't believe you. Keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything intelligent to say.

Chiro
Sorry I didn't chek this out sooner. It's too
bad more people can't return love to us like
our dogs. Who else can meet us with that
much excitement everyday no matter how their
day went and be able to forgive as quickly.
My heart goes out to you and your family.

Goshawk

My sympathies Chiro. Dogs are better people than most human beings (which has been proven in this very thread by Stumpy). It's good that you made Phoenix as happy and comfortable as possible. Dogs seem to find joy in the simplest things and focus on those things instead of unpleasantness. We could all learn from that. I'm sorry.
frown.gif

Peace,
Paul

"Humor" of a different sort?... Hopefully this helps out.

Consider This...
If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can get going without pep pills,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches & pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can overlook it when those you love take it out on you when, through no fault of yours, something goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friends limited education and never correct him/her,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can honestly say that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, religion, or politics,

Then, my friend,
You are ALMOST as good as your dog..

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Back