No love for SS Spydies?

Those gas station knives were copying the stainless steel spydies like the Worker etc. That's the script cloners follow. Find the current top ticket and knock it off.

That's totally true, the problem is back then I had no idea what a good knife was let alone a Spyderco. All I ever saw was gas station/flea market stuff and the occasional Buck. Buck seemed like the ultimate holy grail knife in my city. It wasn't untill the early 2000's I saw a co-worker with a cool looking knife that I got more interested.

I'm afraid without cutting down the weight on stainless handles that they wont be popular again. Maybe its possible though, they did it with the ATR (another SS with g10 sprint). If they did more handles like the ATR we might see more interest.
You're probably right about the weight issue. But that also confuses me. Because personally I've never had the weight of any folder be a deterrent to me at all. Right at this minute I'm carrying an older C-46 Lum Tanto which is considered "heavy" by many but it's weight doesn't bother me at all. And I'm far from being a tough-guy, macho-man>> 65 years old at that. I carried a Buck 110 for years and it never bothered me either. I actually like the solid feel of some of those folders.

You're probably right about the weight issue. But that also confuses me. Because personally I've never had the weight of any folder be a deterrent to me at all. Right at this minute I'm carrying an older C-46 Lum Tanto which is considered "heavy" by many but it's weight doesn't bother me at all. And I'm far from being a tough-guy, macho-man>> 65 years old at that. I carried a Buck 110 for years and it never bothered me either. I actually like the solid feel of some of those folders.

Weight has never specficially deterred me from buying a knife either. At this point I think SS is just past its prime, we have new materials and people want new stuff. Same reason why a lot of people wont settle for 440 or 8Cr steels anymore when we have s35vn and whatnot.

Personally, I like knifes w/a little "heft" in them.

One of my favorite knifes is a Ti CRKT HiJinx which weighs a hefty 6.40 oz, which makes the Spyderco SS Police model at 5.60 oz a lightweight by comparison. LOL!

The only SS I have is a byrd meadowlark. I know there is always the weight issue but I personally like the thinness of the scales on the SS spydies & Byrd's. They also just look:cool:
rW5OPJ.jpg

Weight has never specficially deterred me from buying a knife either. At this point I think SS is just past its prime, we have new materials and people want new stuff. Same reason why a lot of people wont settle for 440 or 8Cr steels anymore when we have s35vn and whatnot.
You know you may have a valid point there. But this might just be a case of "re-inventing" it. I've wondered for some time if they did something to their stainless handles to give them more grip and traction if that wouldn't make them sell better? Or just do some knurling of some type to give it some more character. Because I will admit with all the stainless Spyderco models I've had over the years along with ones I still have now that they are not your "Show-Off" knives by any means. To me the Stainless handled Spyders are just a good "hard use" knife kind of like the ones in the Salt Series> and I think both of those types of knives are truly meant to be just that. Because how many stainless or Salt Series Spyders do you all know of that are Holy Grail collector pieces? right I don't know of too many that collectors are looking for.
The only one I can think of off the top of my head might be the Stainless Caly Jr models ( PE & SE). And quite possibly the stainless Ladybug which is getting kind of rare. But even at that it will never bring what one of the older Micarta Spyder models would bring. Other than the Spyderhawk I don't know of anything out of the Salt Series that you could wheel and deal or get a great trade for.
But being the stainless, serrated models kind of put Spyderco on the map to begin with I would hate to see them be eliminated even for just sentimental reasons. My very first Spyder I bought back in 1995 was the STainless handled SE GIN-1 Mariner. That's the one that got me hooked. And I think they still have their place in the line up.

Back