no photos...wet hike today

so today i took a little hike...i'm guessing around 6 miles total. dragged my brother out with me and he was miserable the entire time, but at least after the first mile he paid more attention to the trail than complaining...:rolleyes: bums me out that he doesn't like the woods, but whatever...

anyways, the trip was a good one despite the sometimes-pouring rain and the huge gushy mud puddles that we had to wade through at several points.

just wanted to share some observations...

sandals...this is the first time i've ever had a pair besides flip-flops (i think they are called thong sandals over in europe?) and i love these. i got them about a size too small, it was the last pair they had. they aren't too bad though, they fit pretty well anyways. they were cheap, i got them on sale for $20, and they have a buckle attachment instead of velcro, which i trust more to last a long time. i hiked the whole thing in them today and i ended up doing some trail running in them, and they worked great...

i gotta run i'll be back to write more tonight...

any suggestions for higher end sandals now that i know i like them? i want to stay away from velco if i can help it...and of course lower cost is always good :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry too much about velcro wearing out. I've had a pair of velcro sandals for about 5 years, and they are still going strong.

stingray, thanks...i have velcro on things that are probably older than me at this point...but i still worry about something like that wearing out. i also think that a clip type adjustment is easier to set at the right length to begin with, until the straps get used to your foot...

but continuing with my observations...

i found out that when its raining hard its alot easier to just keep walking than to try to setup the tarp for a shelter to rest under

i carried way too much gear. i knew this last night when i was packing, but even after i thinned out some stuff i still carried at least a pound or two more than i needed.

i brought too much water. i like to err on the safe side, especially when i have others with me, but i still brought way too much. i carried 2 litres and drank a total of 250 mL...so i drank an eigth of what i carried. i could have stood to drink more, but with the high moisture in the air, i wasn't too thirsty, and i wasn't going at a terribly fast pace with my brother in tow. the short hikes like this are good for telling me how much water i will need to carry on longer trips...

i brought too much food. i didn't really know how long it would take us to make the trip, and i was expecting better weather, so i carried two apples and a couple of little snacks. my brother carried an apple and two hotdogs. we didn't eat a thing. after breakfast we left, and we got back into civilization around 11:30...and we weren't hungry while walking either.

related to the above, i should have figured out a rough estimate at least about how long it would be distance and time wise, to be better prepared for the trip. as it was, i was looking at a lake on a topo map and the little gray line that went around it...i didn't do any extra research into distance etc.

something i did right; i went prepared for the weather. i brought a poncho and a sweater. i was dry and warm all day.

so any other tips on sandals?

Sig...as far as food and water is concerned, I would not say that you brought too much. I always err on the side of caution and, while you may have been alright for a rainy slow hike, factor in heat and possibly urgency and you were under-prepped.

Also, for sandals I would look at Academy or somewhere and check out TEVA. I had a pair and liked them, but I wore them all over the place and have yet to replace them. They are a bit pricey, but they work, as do the ones made by Nike.

PeACe
Dougo

i can relate to your lack-of-wilderness-and-knife-competent-brothe problem. glad to hear you got to go hike though. unfortunatly, i dont warsandles so i cannot give advice.

Sig...as far as food and water is concerned, I would not say that you brought too much. I always err on the side of caution and, while you may have been alright for a rainy slow hike, factor in heat and possibly urgency and you were under-prepped.

Also, for sandals I would look at Academy or somewhere and check out TEVA. I had a pair and liked them, but I wore them all over the place and have yet to replace them. They are a bit pricey, but they work, as do the ones made by Nike.

PeACe
Dougo

i dont think that Academy exists over that way.

Oh yea...well...they still have a website...I dunno what would be out that way. BassPro?

in my area we have a Dick's...somewhat similar.

we also have a huge Cabela's a little while away...still haven't got over there yet.

Dick's would probably have some teva's...i should check them out.

myright...to me those look more like open face sneakers. i personally am looking for something that won't give me a whole lot of support, mostly just put something between my feet and the ground for a little insulation and to protect against rocks and things. my feet are pretty tough but even at this point 6 miles of loose rocks and rough ground would probably bother me.

thanks for the comments and suggestions all.

in my area we have a Dick's...somewhat similar.

we also have a huge Cabela's a little while away...still haven't got over there yet.

Dick's would probably have some teva's...i should check them out.

myright...to me those look more like open face sneakers. i personally am looking for something that won't give me a whole lot of support, mostly just put something between my feet and the ground for a little insulation and to protect against rocks and things. my feet are pretty tough but even at this point 6 miles of loose rocks and rough ground would probably bother me.

thanks for the comments and suggestions all.

You better have a dang good excuse for that kind of behavior or my blades are shippin somewhere else...:D

Sig...as far as food and water is concerned, I would not say that you brought too much. .......Dougo

There's always the "what-ifs" to rationalize what you carry. Had you been lost or one of you gotten bummed up, you could have been out there long enough to get hungry and/or thirsty. Even if your trip were extended by an hour or two by a minor mishap, the food and water would have made it more tolerable. Carrying two liters of water on a short hike is good conditioning for longer hikes as well. You get a better feel for how your gear rides and can make adjustments in preparation for a longer hike. I admit myself to carrying more knives than necessary. I usually find a few I forgot were in my bag, like a Vic Farmer, BRKT Mikro Canadian and Gossman PSK when I already had a 3.5" fixed blade and Ritter Mini Grip' on my person. I also tend to find several ferro-rods when I clean out my bag when one on my person would likely be plenty.

I am of no help on the sandals. I wear a pair around the house but every time I wear them outside I end up getting a damned slug squished under my toes. It's not that I am all that squeamish but those stupid things are slippery when they're inside out! :eek:

I have Nike sandals in a nice soft brown leather and some hightech looking Tevas. But they hardly ever get worn because I discovered Keens for running around to the store or for a walk around the block. On the trail I wear trail runners 'cause rocks get in my Keens. However I have seen a friend of mine wear them w/ socks up to Mt Baldy and then the 14+ miles to White Mountain while carrying a 60lb. kid for about 6 miles on his shoulders:eek: Anyway the Keens are comfy, tough and shrug off getting wet.

stingray, thanks...i have velcro on things that are probably older than me at this point...but i still worry about something like that wearing out. i also think that a clip type adjustment is easier to set at the right length to begin with, until the straps get used to your foot...

Very true, and relevant observation. It is a pain sometimes, velcro, unvelcro, then velcro again until you get the right fit.

siguy

you should check out the Tevas when they are on sale. I bought a Spoiler from Sports Authority 50% off. I wear them more than my shoes now! They are really comfortable and adjustable

REI has a good selection .. Every shoe company makes a few diffrent types of sandels.. The only pair i got is close to 30 years old, All the threads are still perfect and unless i would wear out the bottom it should easy last me for another 10. But its made of leather and some type of rubber for the sole that is about half worn .... Its made by Dafna.. Got no idea if they are still out there

thanks for all the suggestions guys...i will look into those.

doug...my only excuse is that i don't drive...its kinda far away to bike.;)

kvaughn

Gold Member
Hey Si, What happened to the barefoot thing . Thought you were going to have your feet tuff enuff to wear flops this winter;) --I'll be in touch after the 4th, still have some knives I want you to work on.-- Anyway,Ive worn Tevas all over in all kinds of weather and terrain and am very pleased with them. They have a number of different models.--KV

i haven't worn my running shoes in a month at all, running 3-5 days a week 2 miles each time...so my feet are toughening up pretty well. i originally meant to just wear my sandals to the trail and then kick them off, but the ground was wet and cold, and i saw that the trail was almost entirely beach-pebbled from the soil washing away over the past few days of rain...painful stuff in my soft arch.

i'm still working on it though...

Take a look at Chaco's. They make some great sandals that sound like they will fit your bill. A little pricey, but completely worth it.