Non-Refundable Deposits

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Fiddleback Forge will not be refunding any of the deposits that we don't and never have taken for any knives or any knife related work. :D

Thank God I never did entertain taking deposits!! As usual, please don't pay me anything until the knife is ready to ship!:thumbup:

That is all.

When I read the thread title I was like;"When the Fu#$ did Andy start taking deposits..., that SOB doesn't even take orders.....":confused:

Quit fooling around and make me a Hunter in some Micarta ;)

Seriously, I prefer not giving deposits and I think thats the right thing to do. I would understand if a maker required a deposit for a certain special material he doesn't carry or something like that however.

You had me confused for a moment there, young man.:)

Cognitive dissonance .... brrrr.:eek:

When I read the thread title I was like;"When the Fu#$ did Andy start taking deposits..., that SOB doesn't even take orders.....":confused:

Quit fooling around and make me a Hunter in some Micarta ;)

Seriously, I prefer not giving deposits and I think thats the right thing to do. I would understand if a maker required a deposit for a certain special material he doesn't carry or something like that however.

Ha! I second all of that.

By the way, was there a recent fiasco or something involving that issue in another venue?

Ha! I second all of that.

By the way, was there a recent fiasco or something involving that issue in another venue?

I think some emails Andy and I were exchanging earlier today about the success of his business and knifemaking in general prompted this thread. I was complimenting Andy on several areas (from a business perspective) where I think he has excelled compared to other makers. Among many others that was discussed, not taking deposits was one of them.

I have never understood taking deposits up front on a basic knife model that you make. As mentioned, I think asking for a little coverage of "special materials" is reasonable...but Andy doesn't even take orders;) I have absolutely NO doubt that what ever he makes would sell on the boards in extreme short order...even if they were a "custom" for someone else.

I tip my hat to ya, Andy:D:thumbup: It was a no brainer to order from you, but not having to fork over the funds before the knife was done was serious gravy;)

Well, when I first started I was making Nessmuks mainly. And everyone was constantly mentioning Dale to me. Well, I read about Dale, I read about Allen Blade, and I decided that deposits were a bad idea. Too much responsibility managing the $.

I took orders for the first year or so I made knives, then decided that wasn't for me either. (Though, right now I've got a few. I felt bad for not responding to the folks that sent messages to the fiddlebackforge dot com e-mail address, and took 4 orders for those folks.) It takes a LOT of extra work to organize, and commitment to stick to orders.

So here we are, and if y'all are happy, then I am too!

In that case, please do not refund the deposit that I have not given you for the order I have not placed.

:thumbup:

Andy, you remind me a lot of Sarge:thumbup: While he never took money for what he made, he didn't take orders either. For him, if the jump was made from hobby to job, the love would be gone.

I think you're straddling the line well between doing what you love and paying the bills. Make what YOU want, do it with pride, and it will sell. That simple:) I don't even have my first FB in hand yet, but I can pretty much promise it won't be my last. Business ethics go a long, long way with me:thumbup:

Andy, you remind me a lot of Sarge:thumbup: While he never took money for what he made, he didn't take orders either. For him, if the jump was made from hobby to job, the love would be gone.

I think you're straddling the line well between doing what you love and paying the bills. Make what YOU want, do it with pride, and it will sell. That simple:) I don't even have my first FB in hand yet, but I can pretty much promise it won't be my last. Business ethics go a long, long way with me:thumbup:

Your knife goes to glue up today, which means that the scales have already had the outline cut, the holes drilled, and the bolster end finished. At this point you can really see the raw beauty of the scales start to materialize!! And it is going to be a STUNNER!!!

SE's Rosewood too. Man, those two woods are some of my favorites!

Back