Non-Scandi "Bushcraft" knives

I guess the term "Bushcraft" means different things to different people. To me it means a knife that is primarily for semi-detailed woodwork (ie. not detailed carving but not chopping and splitting firewood either), and secondarily used for various camp chores. Now most of the wood around where I live is very hard and the grain is not at all straight. I have found that I have some problems with edge rolling on scandi blades. The edge on my Mora literally folded over whilst I was making what I thought were some pretty straightforward cuts into hardwood.

So my question is, what blades do people use for bushcraft type tasks that have more durable edge geometry than scandi grinds? At this point I'm looking towards something like a Fallkniven F1 with a convex grind.

F1 has enough edge-geometry for hardwood!

So has a Mora, when that folded edge is gone.
Just give Your Mora a geometry suited for hardwood and it will work perfectly!

Regards
Mikael

45E1F197-7752-4F85-9B1C-CB097DDA3EA3-19096-000007AAC31095EE_zpse3074a4a.jpg

All convex.

F1 has enough edge-geometry for hardwood!

So has a Mora, when that folded edge is gone.
Just give Your Mora a geometry suited for hardwood and it will work perfectly!

Regards
Mikael

Yes I planned on fixing my Mora and maybe modifying the edge to make it a bit more sturdy, but I recently lost it (although I think it might be in my shed somewhere) so I have an excuse to by a replacement anyway.

Yes I planned on fixing my Mora and maybe modifying the edge to make it a bit more sturdy, but I recently lost it (although I think it might be in my shed somewhere) so I have an excuse to by a replacement anyway.

Absolutely!
You do need a new knife!

The F1 will do and I would be surpriced if the above shown Fiddleback's wouldn't work as well.
I don't have any Fiddleback except the machete and I like that one.

Regards
Mikael

I've never had an issue with an O1 scandi ( top) ( or the S90V scandi -bottom) but I do like a full flat to a super thin edge in M390 ( middle)

F81DA572-C343-4C53-A5A8-F41002194D31-359-000000196AA86217.jpg

Some beautiful knives posted so far.

@HWF, are all those from Fiddleback Forge? They are pretty much the kind of thing I had in mind when starting this thread.

Some beautiful knives posted so far.

@HWF, are all those from Fiddleback Forge? They are pretty much the kind of thing I had in mind when starting this thread.

Yes, all Fiddlebacks.

Left to right:

Everyday Karda, Recluse, Bushfinger, Kephart, Hiking Buddy

I love them all.

Becker BK16. Very well done knife, affordable, lets you branch into other grinds without breaking your bank, shape is suited to a lot of the tasks it would assumedlt be used for. Really awesome, perfectly sized, capable belt knife.

The F1 is great for what you want. Also look at Bark River knives if your budget will allow. I have a couple of Auroras and they are fantastic as an all round bushcraft knife.

Yes, all Fiddlebacks.

Left to right:

Everyday Karda, Recluse, Bushfinger, Kephart, Hiking Buddy

I love them all.

Thanks, they look like excellent blades.

1066vik said:
what's your price range?

About $250 give or take. I don't plan on making the purchase for a month or so, just want to know what's out there.

The F1 is great for what you want. Also look at Bark River knives if your budget will allow. I have a couple of Auroras and they are fantastic as an all round bushcraft knife.

Would you say that the Aurora is the best Bark River for a bushcraft knife with a fairly sturdy edge? Are there others I should look at? I always liked the look of the Bravo 1.

Last edited:
for $250 there are several custom makers that could meet your need.
KFU
Matt Tackett
JK
James Terrio
Bill Akers all come quickly to mind.
several others who submitted entries in the "bushcraft challenge" last fall.
go check the custom knife for sale sub on the exchange.

With 250 to spend, your options are virtually endless. I own the F1 and I find that the grind is really steep and the blade thickens really quickly, I much prefer my BHK Bushcrafter with a ffg. I don't own one but I suggest getting on the list for a Koster Bushmaster, seems right up your alley, also Chris Berry of Big Chris Customs just made me an.awesome knife, hell make you anything you ask very affordable and he uses the latest super steels. Like I said your options are endless, I wish I could afford a Fiddleback, they aren't rare but still kinda ly grail knives.

In my experience, convex works better for me on wood. It is more controlleable regarding the depth of cut. I find that if it bites too deep, it is easier go correct mid cut. But my experience is somewhat limited.

The Busse C.A.B.S, that I just sold was to be my new bushcraft knife. (Had to let her go though - long story.) Convex, Infi steel, razor sharp and enough handle to get a solid grip around it. A little more than $250 though.

new%20pics%201239-L.jpg

for $250 there are several custom makers that could meet your need.
KFU
Matt Tackett
JK
James Terrio
Bill Akers all come quickly to mind.
several others who submitted entries in the "bushcraft challenge" last fall.
go check the custom knife for sale sub on the exchange.

Thanks for the advice, I've been keeping my eye on the custom makers lately.

JBoone said:
In my experience, convex works better for me on wood. It is more controllable regarding the depth of cut. I find that if it bites too deep, it is easier go correct mid cut. But my experience is somewhat limited.

Thanks for the info, I thought this was the case, but I too don't have alot of experience in this area.

Back