Nonthreatening knife for a Traceur

Hello all. Two months ago i began to practice a fairly new sport called Parkour (or Freerunning). Heres a quick explanation from AmericanParkour.com...

Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

Parkour requires... consistent, disciplined training with an emphasis on functional strength, physical conditioning, balance, creativity, fluidity, control, precision, spatial awareness, and looking beyond the traditional use of objects.

Parkour movements typically include... running, jumping, vaulting, climbing, balancing, and quadrupedal movement. Movements from other physical disciplines are often incorporated, but acrobatics or tricking alone do not constitute parkour.

Parkour training focuses on... safety, longevity, personal responsibility, and self-improvement. It discourages reckless behavior, showing off, and dangerous stunts.

Parkour practitioners value... community, humility, positive collaboration, sharing of knowledge, and the importance of play in human life, while demonstrating respect for all people, places, and spaces.

If your still reading, im looking for a knife with these specs.
  • Up to 3 or so inch blade.
  • Very thin and wont hinder movement while running, jumping, climbing, flipping, ect.
  • Can be worn while wearing sweats without a fear of losing it. (easily secured)
  • Wont open in pocket or if dropped.
  • Very people friendly (LEOs and such are constantly wondering what im doing)
  • Somewhere around $50?

Thanks for the help and reading about Parkour in itself.

Why do you need a knife for this?

Seems like there's a lot of moving around and knife would just get in the way. When I'm out for a walk or jog, I dump everything except my driver's license, several dollars and my car keys. I can't stand my knives banging against my leg every step.

Get a t-shirt from one of the knife companies instead. Then you can promote two hobbies at once.

A Spyderco Delica sounds like it might be a safe bet. It's small, light, can be clipped into your pocket and shouldn't move unless you want it to. Costs around $50.

Why do you need a knife for this?

Seems like there's a lot of moving around and knife would just get in the way. When I'm out for a walk or jog, I dump everything except my driver's license, several dollars and my car keys. I can't stand my knives banging against my leg every step.

Get a t-shirt from one of the knife companies instead. Then you can promote two hobbies at once.

I like to have a small blade at all times because im a First Responder and there is always a possibility for injury in parkour, if not something like a nearby car accident, ect. As well as just for those little things that need cut. And i usually carry a small bag with money, water, ID, medical stuff, and a hoodie with me whenever i train, so i can just throw it in there if its a problem in my pocket i guess.

If your still reading, im looking for a knife with these specs.
  • Up to 3 or so inch blade.
  • Very thin and wont hinder movement while running, jumping, climbing, flipping, ect.
  • Can be worn while wearing sweats without a fear of losing it. (easily secured)
  • Wont open in pocket or if dropped.
  • Very people friendly (LEOs and such are constantly wondering what im doing)
  • Somewhere around $50?

Thanks for the help and reading about Parkour in itself.

1) Parkour rocks! Anyone in doubt should check out the youtube vids. (example)

2) Thought about a SAK or an opinel? Opinels have the benefit of being lockable in the closed and the open position.

Oh to be young again............ :(

Hmmmmmmmmmm........

.............. never mind, I couldn't do that when I was young. :D

Try a Benchmade Mini Grip............ :thumbup:

There was a thread a while back about what knives people carried while running/jogging. Some of the contenders were:

Spydreco Delica gen 3 or 4
Spyderco Salt 1
Spyderco Native
Benchmade 530

I'm sure there were others but I can't remember. All of the knives above are light weight and carry well.

I'd say go for the Opinel, as recommended by user24 - they lock closed, and you can get a variety of sizes; they're lightweight enough that pocket carry shouldn't be an issue.

Parkour Rocks. :cool:

thx - cpr

How about a Swiss Army Rescue Tool, in either black or yellow? Either can be purchased on Amazon for under $50 delivered.

How about a Swiss Army Rescue Tool, in either black or yellow? Either can be purchased on Amazon for under $50 delivered.

Ive been looking at that as well. and the swiss army name would give it a more people friendly view

ha parkour is awesome man!

i would vote for an opinel or a delica

the only thing i see wrong with an opinel is that it cant be clipped to your pocket and is more round than flat, but it could work for you..the delica is just an outstanding knife

I would get a yellow Spyderco salt 1 and wear it clipped IWB (Inside Waist Band). The Salt 1 will not rust. Ever. So you don't need to worry about sweat or washing it off. The yellow color is probably a little more friendly looking and if it were to ever get dropped would be easy to spot. And wearing it clipped to the waist band it stays pressed close to your body and won't bounce around in your pocket. And it is right around 50 bucks.

Ka-Bar Dozier meets your specs and is only about $20. Because it's so light, it'll stay where it's clipped, and with its three inch blade, it's legal in most jurisdictions even concealed.

Good stuff mate!
I used to parkour a couple of years ago. I stopped only due to an old knee injury. Too bad...
I always took my knife out of my pocket and left it at home. Parkour increases your chances of losing the knife, injuring yourself or breaking the knife while in the pocket (Happened to me once)
If still you think you need a knife, then look into one of the Spyderco Salt knives. They are all light, and will not rust no matter how much sweat gets on it.

A knife in the pocket while doing parkour sounds like it could cause some problems. If anything, I'd downsize to a Victorinox SwissCard. Packed away in the wallet, it'll carry like it's not even there. Barring that, I'd just go with an Opinel No.6 slimline. After soaking in some vinegar to develop a patina, it should be good to go. If not that, then perhaps a Benchmade Benchmite II, which I believe, locks closed.

Last edited:
There was this thing Ma used to say about running around with scissors. Tempting the possibility of an accident just seems silly.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a positive lock. Most standard lockbacks, Walker Liners, Reeve Integrals... They can all open in your pocket without your knowing. I know several members will attest to having such scars on their thighs and fingers after reaching into their cargo pockets and bugout bags.

Id look at the Boye cobalt sheepsfoot lockback. Its yellow, wont rust, has a thumb hole, and the weight is 2oz with a 3'' blade. And how about the Benchmade rescue hook I could see that fitting easily with what your doin.

Last edited:
A Spyderco Delica sounds like it might be a safe bet. It's small, light, can be clipped into your pocket and shouldn't move unless you want it to. Costs around $50.

This^ Because if you do loose it, its only 50 bucks, yet a really good blade

Back