• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Norfleet Custom Knives .... Be Careful

I have had a poor experience thus far with this maker. He rarely replies to any emails. I paid him in full in August 2013, and still no knife. When I purchased it he told me 80 days. Now he has posted on his website 180 days. If you are looking to buy a knife from this character, think again. He has told me the last couple times that he did reply, in the past 3 months, that he is shipping it that weekend. Why lie? Just be forthright with people and communicate. I would understand. He has always been kind in his emails with me, and stringing me along for 16 months seems pointless. I know that making knives is not easy or fast.
I guess its my fault for paying this guy in full. He is truly on the shady side, though it seems. I know better next time.
So here is my question to any others out there that have experienced purchasing a knife from this maker in the past 180 days, a year or more. Have you received your knife yet? If so was it worth it? If not does he communicate with you as to when it might get finished? Anybody get totally stiffed from this maker before? I really hate to think this is the way he is, but I wonder if he really makes these knives, or if he just set up some pretty photos on a website to get some sorry sap like myself to send him their money?

I have had a poor experience thus far with this maker. He rarely replies to any emails. I paid him in full in August 2013, and still no knife. When I purchased it he told me 80 days. Now he has posted on his website 180 days. If you are looking to buy a knife from this character, think again. He has told me the last couple times that he did reply, in the past 3 months, that he is shipping it that weekend. Why lie? Just be forthright with people and communicate. I would understand. He has always been kind in his emails with me, and stringing me along for 16 months seems pointless. I know that making knives is not easy or fast.
I guess its my fault for paying this guy in full. He is truly on the shady side, though it seems. I know better next time.
So here is my question to any others out there that have experienced purchasing a knife from this maker in the past 180 days, a year or more. Have you received your knife yet? If so was it worth it? If not does he communicate with you as to when it might get finished? Anybody get totally stiffed from this maker before? I really hate to think this is the way he is, but I wonder if he really makes these knives, or if he just set up some pretty photos on a website to get some sorry sap like myself to send him their money?

I am very happy to see that you have followed through with what you said in the other 8 year old thread and started your own current thread on this matter. It will be interesting to see what current response you get to the questions you ask. We get a lot of folks who sign up, post once, and are gone. Hopefully you will stick around and participate in other parts of this forum. There is truly a wealth of knowledge here.

It does seem that you learned a good lesson but the hard way. That truly sucks but it is the facts of your circumstance. The fact that you paid in full up front in no way excuses what this maker has done. That said, there are basic things one can do to protect one's self against scumbags. Hopefully other people will come along and read this thread, taking away to important lessons. One is to not do business with this particular maker. The other is to learn some basic ways to cover your own butt.

Some things to do to protect yourself here and anywhere really: don't pay in full before your work is done, don't pay with paypal gift, as a seller insure your package, as a seller properly package your item (box), do research on anyone you do business with before you give them your money or sell them something.

Follow these guidelines and your risk of getting screwed is greatly reduced.

The time to visit the GB&U about a maker or member is before you do a deal, not after.

Well I'm going to keep sending emails and continue trying to get in touch with him and I will be sure to let you all know what conspires. I do know he has had some health issues now, so I hope every thing is okay with him. I will remain hopeful.

I have the same problem. Ordered knife June 2013 and nothing yet. Last email I received was last month saying his computer crashed causing issues with orders. Six months ago the knife was 'almost finished '. Would have ordered a Ruben Ramos knife if I knew it would be 2 years.

Personally, if I ordered a knife from a custom maker, I would not pay up front, and I would expect it to be in my hands within a month or two of the quoted delivery. Anything beyond that, I would ask for a refund (if any money had been paid) and tell them to let me know when it was finished.
If I paid anything upfront it would only be the cost of expensive/exotic materials and nothing more. Any maker worth their salt would find this acceptable.

Good luck!

A few years back, I ordered a hunter from Mr Norfleet and paid in full, I learned that after waiting a year plus and finally receiving the knife, I will never pay up front again. The knife was very well made, but the constant promises, health issues etc. were very stressful. I kept sending emails and called him a couple of times and received all sorts of promises that it was just about ready and yes I posted in the GB and U about my experience, best of luck and keep pestering him. He will come through, hopefully

I learned about paying up front years ago when I ordered a knife from a maker in Australia. Can't remember his name but his wife was the "business connection". Still has my money and the knife, well it's hopefully stuck firmly up his ask me.........................

IGNORANCE is BLISS...................................

I have the same problem. Ordered knife June 2013 and nothing yet. Last email I received was last month saying his computer crashed causing issues with orders. Six months ago the knife was 'almost finished '. Would have ordered a Ruben Ramos knife if I knew it would be 2 years.

If you could only be sure it is two years, rather than endless.

I was interested in one of his Chute Knives. Just checked and the website is gone. Seems to be no links to Norfleet Knives. Glad he is gone, since I didn't read this topic until after I had made the decision to order a knife from him.

Back