Normark skinning axe

rtg

I have only seen one of these skinning axes. I cannot find any information on them. A freind of mine is a guide that had a customer give him one of these and I would like to have one but canot find any info on them. If you can help it would be great. Thanks Randy:rolleyes:

Is it the same model as featured on this site (at the very end of the page)? This was the only image reference I could find.

If it is, it's most likely made by KJ Eriksson of Mora, Sweden. Normark has been exporting several models of their knives, some under the Rapala brand. I have seen models which are not featured in the Eriksson catalogue.

The handle and how it is attached to the head seems identical to Eriksson's Camp Axe, model no. 1991, which is sometimes bundled with the Mora 2000 knife. The shape of the head and the sheath are different though, as is the color of the plastic handle. Also, the head is not epoxy coated in the Normark as it is on the Eriksson. I see no reason why these couldn't have been made exclusively as such to a major exporter. It wouldn't have been uncommon. The blade (of the KJ E. 1991) is boron steel. If the Normark's is stainless (should be stamped on the head) it's most likely 12c27.

If the axe doesn't look like the one on that aforementioned page, I can't help you much. A picture of your friends tool would be useful - or description of markings on the head.

Hope this helps.

Yes that is the one Now I need to find out how to buy one. RG:jerkit:

oh yeah... :foot:

It's not in the Normark catalogue anymore (on their Swedish site at least).
I don't think it's available on the retail market.

If you're in the states, you can get the similar KJ Eriksson Axe from Ragweed Forge for 53 dollars, see the Mora knives section.

and a :jerkit: to you too sweets ;)

AG Russell has a swedish hatchet that is very similar to that in their catalog. Theirs has a wooden handle.
Bruce

Broos, I think you mean the Fox Cutlery axe?
It's made in Italy, the catalogue I have says the head is 440A.
Fox usually makes a quality product, not to be confused with a cheapo brand with a similar name though.

Way-O,
Yes, that's the one. I didn't look it up before posting - Thanks. I'd like to try that handle shape out, also.

The shape of the axe head and the shape of the handle works very well. My freind has a guide service and a customer gave him one. He can skin and clean a deer in about 15 minn. with one start to finish. It is a perfect tool for the job.

Back