1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Northridge Mod-E / Dust Collection

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Brian Stucker, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Brian Stucker

Brian Stucker Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2016
    20190824_194521-574x765.jpg Making more progress on my grinding bench.

seanj, Jason Volkert and Rhinoknives1 like this.
  2. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Nice, how will that hood over top work for dust collection?

3. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    My belt grinders also throw sparks and dust to the rear. I figure the hood in combination of a dust catch underneath. It should catch most of the dust. I had a bucket of water underneath of it up until this point. But I cant handle the dust in my shop anymore. I'm gonna mount my dust collection motor outside. I'm gonna put around 6" of water in my seperator drum I built. Hopefully this will solve my dust problem. I still have to build 3 dust collectors for each separate grinder. I'm gonna put dust gates on each machine.

4. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    One little tip, even with the gates & water, never grind woods, then steel without cleaning the collector system. I had a fire start in the hose & collector:oops: .. Made for a few frantic moments when with my respirator on, Huh? I smell something burning and then grabbed the fire extinguisher and saw that smoke was billowing out of my wet/dry shop vac collector :rolleyes:

5. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    I appreciate the advice. I've got a shopvac set up with a mini cyclone for wood. I'm gonna make an adapter so I can disconnect my 4" hose on the collectors on the bottom side of the machine and just use the shopvac for wood.

6. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    It’s , kinda along the lines of,,Never Trust a Fart!o_O

john april and Brian Stucker like this.
  7. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    I think you have a better chance of sucking that dust down rather than up.

Keith Nix likes this.
  8. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm gonna add a dust collector on the bottom of each machine also. Plus the hood. Dust also gets slung to the back. My shop is a disaster after 4 yrs of grinding. I've been using a bucket of water resulting in metal dust in the rafters on the wall studs and in every crevice and crack of the shop.

9. Rhinoknives1

Jul 1, 2013
    My shop(s) have gotten dust incrusted no matter what systems I’ve had, unless you can put in a large cyclone system? Anyways, once a month or so, I have cleaning day from top to bottom and even hired people to help or do it completely. Sometimes. I have Hearing issues, Huh? What??? and it hurts to hear the vac system at times, doing a full clean up!

10. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Wear ear pro while vacuuming!

11. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    Making some progress. Ductwork is a nightmare. 20190829_222451-574x765.jpg

seanj, Rhinoknives1 and J. Keeton like this.
  12. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Wow that's looking good! What vacuum are you going to be using on it?

13. J. Keeton

J. Keeton Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Dude that looks awesome! I'm also really digging that new grinder from Northridge... I may "need" one of those... ;)

14. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    I've got a 1 hp blower for now.

15. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    impressive !
    all metal :)

16. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
  17. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Ok it may work but I use a ~5hp shop vac for mine and it's still not ideal suction. You may want to upgrade that at some point :)

18. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    His 1 Hp motor and your Shop VAc 5HP rating are not at all comparable

I would guess that his industrial 1 HP motor is more powerful than the shop vac.

The shop vac power rating is absolute marketing bullshit.
    It relates to "peak" vs RMS averages of the AC sine wave

a 1 Hp motor is at the limit of fitting into a breaker 120vac, 12 amps.
    a 5 hp motor in a 120vac plug would absolutely not work within a 15 or even 20 amp breaker

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-vac-class-action-says-horsepower-misleading/

Keith Nix and razor-edge-knives like this.
  19. Brian Stucker

Apr 20, 2016
    I think the blower is around 1300 cfm. If it's too small I will go to a 3 hp 220v eventually. I'm gonna mount the motor outside in this weatherproof enclosure. I got the enclosure for free 20190830_121802-574x765.jpg 20190830_121820-574x765.jpg

20. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    ahhh that makes a lot of sense thanks for explaining that!!

that looks great! Would you mind posting a pic of the blower you are using? I would like to look into something similar but not sure exactly what to get. apparently I've been misled this whole time haha