Northwoods Mountain Man in Stag w/ a Lockback Information Request

Brooks_V

Gold Member
Platinum Member
Hi All,

I just picked up this knife and have not received it yet, but was hoping one of you fine gentleman (or woman) could tell me about this knife. It seems as if these were built when Northwoods was owned by Queen Cutlery, however there's not a stamp to indicate that. I've also read the steel used in D2 which I'm hopeful it is. The stag is gorgeous so I couldn't resist picking it up, and until I get the item the seller seems a bit clueless and I don't yet have the box to reference for information.

Northwoods1 by Albert Berry, on Flickr
Northwoods2 by Albert Berry, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for any information.

Best,
Albert

Last edited:
Albert,
I do not have any information on this knife. Just wanted to say I really like it a lot - I have always preferred lock backs over regular slip joints, and my choice of scales has always leaned towards stag.
Raul

Albert,
I do not have any information on this knife. Just wanted to say I really like it a lot - I have always preferred lock backs over regular slip joints, and my choice of scales has always leaned towards stag.
Raul

Thanks, Raul. I thought the stag was amazing which is ultimately why I bought the knife.

After research, I found the following:

"this is a genuine sambar stag 1 blade large mountain man lockback knife in D2 steel. Knives have Northwoods Knives Gladstone Michigan tang stamp. This knife has beautiful sambar stag handles with exclusive Northwoods arrowhead shield. Only 100 of these knives were made. Knife blade is mirror polished. Knife is new in original box. Knife bolsters are nickel silver. 4 5/8 in. closed

That is one beautiful knife. While I can not offer you any help, I would very much appreciate if you could share your opinion once you have the knife.

Albert,

I could be wrong but I don't think Queen ever owned the Northwoods brand. I'm not familiar with this particular knife but I just wanted to toss that out there.

I've seen a Northwoods/Queen Mountain Man in D2 before over on AAPK and I have no doubt the knife in the photo is one as well. The Mountain Man pattern is one of my favorites but they are hit & miss when it comes to blade play. Hopefully yours is as good functionally as it is in appearance. Nice grab!

Albert,

I could be wrong but I don't think Queen ever owned the Northwoods brand. I'm not familiar with this particular knife but I just wanted to toss that out there.

Queen made many of the Northwoods knives during the time Dave Shirley owned the brand. GEC makes most of the knives for the current owner, Derrick Bohn (KSF), but he still uses Queen to produce some of the models such as the popular Indian River Jack.

Queen made many of the Northwoods knives during the time Dave Shirley owned the brand. GEC makes most of the knives for the current owner, Derrick Bohn (KSF), but he still uses Queen to produce some of the models such as the popular Indian River Jack.

Correct. I just didn't want Albert to be misinformed as he mentioned in his original post that the knife was "built when Northwoods was owned by Queen Cutlery".

That is one beautiful knife. While I can not offer you any help, I would very much appreciate if you could share your opinion once you have the knife.

Ditto.

Original pics look great. Give a review after receipt.

Ditto.

Original pics look great. Give a review after receipt.

Will do, guys. Apparently there's no blade play and the blade functions perfectly. I'll let you know on Tuesday.

That knife was made about the time of Dave's death. It was one of the last ones made before we bought the trademark.

That knife was made about the time of Dave's death. It was one of the last ones made before we bought the trademark.

Thanks for the info, Derrick. Amazing how you can recognize the knife from what I assume is the unique stag. Its a real beauty.

The Northwoods gunstocks and large stockman that I have were made by Queen during the Shirley era and they are perfect. I think he must have leaned on them a bit to get a great SFO. Of course, I think he might have been on the board of directors for Queen, or a tech advisor, or something like that. Not 100% on that though.

I have the slipjoint version and it's gorgeous. It has two huge slabs of stag that are gorgeous and the D2 makes for a nice finishing touch. I got mine off the Exchange unused for $70 I think, I was very pleased.

I received the knife a few days ago and it's spectacular! Larger than I expected, but the action and look of the knife is outstanding. Here are some photos I took. With only 100 of these made (and D2 steel), I couldn't be happier with this pick-up.
[

Nice score! Beautiful stag on that thing. You should be very happy, I know I'd be!

Back