Norton silicon carbide coarse-fine stone....

This is in my opinion one of best stones you can buy that can get you razor toothy edge on any knife and any type of steel.All comments welcome.

Agreed! Great all around stone that handles about every knife steel out there. Some may like more refinement than the "fine" side of a SiC/Crystolon stone, and there are SiC stones out there to accommodate them.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm a dyed in the wool 1 or 2 grit sharpener and that grit is my finishing grit. Except, w/ my razor. So, yes I agree. When using oil and a light touch one can give
the edge coming off Norton's 280 grit SiC stone a finer finish. I searched and found a early SiC 500 grit stone. Which I use to work off
stubborn burrs. Just a little work on this gives a more refined edge. Razor Edge Products sells a 800 grit SiC stone, should you want
more refinement. But I see no weakness with the abilities of this stone. DM

Last edited:
Do silicon carbide hones work with high-end powder steels with high carbide volumes (e.g., S30V, CTS-XHP, S110V, etc.)?

Do silicon carbide hones work with high-end powder steels with high carbide volumes (e.g., S30V, CTS-XHP, S110V, etc.)?

Yes, but only because the abrasive is still fairly large compared to the carbide size. Still, IMHO silicon carbide works better on all stainless compared to AlumOx.

Recently upgraded to a JUM3, fantastic stone!

L lonestar1979 , what SiC stone do you have? The JB6 or JB8?
I like having both the ACE Hardware stone (which is more coarse than the JB8) and the JUM-3 on hand when I'm sharpening.
The 2 offer different grits, allowing you to do different things. DM

I bought this one in Home Hardware in Canada.It is coarse-fine crystolon sil carbide stone by Norton.I have another one Norton combo stone,sil carbide-india,will experiment more with india stone to see what kind of edge I get.

L lonestar1979 , what SiC stone do you have? The JB6 or JB8?
I like having both the ACE Hardware stone (which is more coarse than the JB8) and the JUM-3 on hand when I'm sharpening.
The 2 offer different grits, allowing you to do different things.
DM

Good point. I've been on the fence for a long while, as to whether I needed a Crystolon stone. I have several of ACE's stones in SiC, including an 8" stone, and still other SiC stones from Norton (Economy) and Sears. So, I've often felt I didn't need any more. But two differently-branded, 8" or larger, double-sided SiC stones offering up four characteristically different edge finishes is a compelling temptation to try out the Crystolon.

I'm also seeing the value in using stones pre-filled with grease/oil, like Norton's Crystolon, after using my IB8 India for a while and not having to pre-drench it in oil all the time, as is necessary with the bone-dry (unfilled) ACE, Economy and Sears stones. I've recently gone to the length of melting Vaseline into two or three of my SiC stones, which makes a big difference in their 'thirstiness' for oil, and it leaves me more willing to consider picking up the Crystolon as well.

Last edited:
Its excellent stone and sharpens any steel,gives a nice toothy edge that still shaves hair.I dont bother with polished edges at all,sometimes I use strop and japanese king stone 1000-4000 to polish sides of blade if its too scratched,otherwise never use it.This and coarse dmt is how i sharpen.Most times I get hair whittling edge ,but if it shaves hair thats enough for me.

Good point. I've been on the fence for a long while, as to whether I needed a Crystolon stone. I have several of ACE's stones in SiC, including an 8" stone, and still other SiC stones from Norton (Economy) and Sears. So, I've often felt I didn't need any more. But two differently-branded, 8" or larger, double-sided SiC stones offering up four characteristically different edge finishes is a compelling temptation to try out the Crystolon.
I'm also seeing the value in using stones pre-filled with grease/oil, like Norton's Crystolon, after using my IB8 India for a while and not having to pre-drench it in oil all the time, as is necessary with the bone-dry (unfilled) ACE, Economy and Sears stones.
I've recently gone to the length of melting Vaseline into two or three of my SiC stones, which makes a big difference in their 'thirstiness' for oil, and it leaves me more willing to consider picking up the Crystolon as well.
Yes, that is what I was meaning. 4 grits. The ACE stone is more coarse and my fastest cutter/ bevel setting stone a big help. The other grits help me refine and remove the burr. DM

I think these 4 grits maybe 70, 100, 200 & 300. Should you care to procure a finer SiC stone they are available. My 400 grit stone excels at removing small, fine burrs. DM

Last edited:
Back