NORTON SILICON CARBIDE

When using the coarse norton silicon carbide for reprofiling does it leave a too coarse or ragged edge.I currently use a Razor Edge coarse for reprofiling before going to a Spyderco medium ceramic with no problem.I don't really know what abrasive it is.

When using the coarse norton silicon carbide for reprofiling does it leave a too coarse or ragged edge.I currently use a Razor Edge coarse for reprofiling before going to a Spyderco medium ceramic with no problem.I don't really know what abrasive it is.
The Norton Crystolon stones are SICK man. Love those bloody things.

Not too coarse. You can happily use the edge off the Crystolon Fine. Its like a 320 grit finish. You can walk it up to a 400ish by decreasing your stroke pressure because the stone is so hard.

They are an incredible value.

Protip though, buy a diamond redressing stone from your local hardware store. You can gently rub it on the surface of the stone to refresh it (the stones are hard enough that you'll want a way to refresh the surface in order to keep its cutting speed as high as possible). The redressing tools are like 10 bucks. They're designed for redressing SiC grinder wheels so it'll last forever as a "nagura" for the Crystolons

You could go from a Crystolon Fine to the Spyderco Medium relatively easily. You could do it with the Coarse too, but you'll have to trail off your stroke pressure to prepare for the grit jump, which you may find a little finnicky.

I don't know anything about the Razor Edge stuff though, so I can't way in with experience there.

But dude, buy the Crystolons, they're so good. Or grab the FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades Mutt. Insane value. Those stones with a diamond redressing tool are the greatest value I have ever seen in low grit sharpening, and will easily handle any low grit work you need to get done, and they'll do it bloody QUICKLY.

I can upload some pics of how I use the diamond redresser with my Mutt, if desired

Sharpen a beater using both your coarse stones and let us know the difference Robert. Your Norton is 120 grit SIC. Your Razor Edge is 100 grit according to a post reporting from factory email, at cliffstamp.com, but no composition given... and composition knowledge is still not gonna be as useful as using the stone.
It has been years since I used a Norton 120 grit and never used any Razor Edge stone. Going from what I remember, I came off the 120 grit to a "medium"
300-ish grit stone before moving to something like the Spyderco Medium (finished to ~600 grit 15 micron).

These pics may or may not help you, not sure if you have the Norton stone or are thinking about getting one.

Here is 25 passes (old Stanley chisel had laying around) on Norton Crystolon coarse 120 grit stone:
vnqB1tR.jpg

Then 100 + passes on spyderco med stone, as you can see the deep scratches left from the Norton are still clearly present.
dUn9PRB.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice.I'm very happy with my razor edge coarse but I thought I would try the Crystolon just for kicks.I can go from my Razor Edge coarse to a medium Spyderco with no problem.Just wondered if there was much difference. I have to admit though I frequently get caught up in analysis paralysis.

Thanks for all your advice.I'm very happy with my razor edge coarse but I thought I would try the Crystolon just for kicks.I can go from my Razor Edge coarse to a medium Spyderco with no problem.Just wondered if there was much difference. I have to admit though I frequently get caught up in analysis paralysis.

You bet. On a side note the medium SIC imo actually seems to cut faster compared to the coarse stone. The bond strength in the coarse seems to be much stronger then with the medium so it seems to be slower cutting overall. The coarse will release abrasive however much more force needed.

Robert,
I use a combination crystolon and was thinking about getting a medium spyderco as a next step to refine the edge, do you use your medium after a coarse or fine silicone carbide? If after the fine what's your thoughts on the edge refinement, is it a worthwhile improvement? Also, you mentioned razors edge hones, do you have their fine? Supposedly they are finer then a fine india.

Robert,
I use a combination crystolon and was thinking about getting a medium spyderco as a next step to refine the edge, do you use your medium after a coarse or fine silicone carbide? If after the fine what's your thoughts on the edge refinement, is it a worthwhile improvement? Also, you mentioned razors edge hones, do you have their fine? Supposedly they are finer then a fine india.
Right now I use the coarse Razor Edge hone to reprofile .I have not yet pulled the trigger on the Crystolon though I have heard they are a great stone.I am not really sure what abrasive the Razor Edges are made of.They have served me well as they can be used dry though I know some use oil.I go directly from the coarse to the medium Sharpmaker and fine no problem.I do have a Razor Edge fine and it is finer than the India.I would say it is like the Spyderco medium.The Razor Edges are both used dry and I have seen no loading and I've used them for decades.The India stone is iconic and leaves a fine toothy edge.I hope I answered your question.

I read the book but never got the hones, there doesn't seem to be a lot that use them. If the fine is comparable to the medium spyderco that's interesting. Thanks.

They are very interesting stones.I don't know how they are made but they don't load at least that is my experience with nearly three decades of use.The fine is a hard stone but it is more friable than the Spyderco medium.All i've ever done is brush them off and they're good to go again.

I just realized I asked you the same thing a while back in a different thread. Sorry about that.

Back