Norwegian Peer Gynt Sterling Silver Knife

Hello
Does anyone out there know anything about the above mentioned knife ?

It is made in Norway by David-Andersen, and is quite old I belive.
The Blade is stainless steel, the shaft is made in wood and have sterling silver fittings.

I can email you pictures.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to Bladeforums!

Is this knife an old production model or a custom? I've heard of Peer Gynt but not the knife :)

Esav Benyamin said:
Welcome to Bladeforums!

Is this knife an old production model or a custom? I've heard of Peer Gynt but not the knife :)

The knife is stamped David-Andersen, the Norwegian jewler so I guess its been made in production.
I have tried to look for info on the net, but I cant seem to find anything.
I belive the knife to be from the 1950`s

There were at least 3 different models of that knife.
From your description it sounds like you have the "main" version, the one that was introduced in 1952 and received a Norwegian Design Award in 1997. As far as I know, this version is still in production. I'd classify it as a production knife; the blade is factory made although I guess the handle might be hand-fitted and/or hand-finished. There was also a smaller version with a black synthetic handle, as well as a slimmer "formal" version with scrollworked silver, meant to be carried on a Norwegian traditional folk costume. I haven't seen these two versions in shops in a few years, though.

All the fittings are Sterling Silver and the handle is made from "valbjørk", some kind of birch I can't translate. The sheath is obviously leather, but it feels a bit too soft to be the rawhide-ish leather that is traditionally used for Norwegian knives. Apparently the blade is made by Brusletto, which means it's most likely made from stainless Sandvik 12c27. Or at least that was what the Helle factory (Brusletto's competitor) told me way back when.

Overall it's a nice little knife, and I'd daresay one of the nicest you can currently get with a Brusletto blade. The blade takes quite an edge, but doesn't hold it all too well. Then again, it's easy to sharpen.
I only really carry mine for show -- which means one of those few occasions when I'm in a social function in the mountains. My father has been using the small version of the knife as his main reindeer hunting knife for over a decade, though, and is pretty happy with it (but he isn't the one sharpening it, now is he).

These knives are probably most popular as gifts, here in Norway. Being only sold at goldsmiths, I can imagine they're the saving grace when old ladies are trying to buy presents for some 12-14 year-old boy who is up for his christian confirmation -- and somehow make the mistake of walking into a goldsmith rather than a proper sporting goods store.

There's remarkably little info available on the web, but there is a picture at http://www.norskdesign.no/utmerkelser/klassikerprisen/1990-1999/1920.html . Is that the one you have?

I can't really remember the price on these things, but I think the regular version went for roughly 200 USD, maybe a bit more. You should be able to reach David-Andersen at +47 2214 8810 if you have any questions.

Thank you so very much. That was a lot of great info.
Like you said, there is very little info out there about this knife.
I looked at the picture you linked to, and YES, that`s it !!
Now I know a whole lot more than I did before. :)
Thank you !

Happy to help. :)

I just figured out what "valbjørk" or "masurbjørk/masurbjerk" is. It's an abnormal growth on a birch tree, which should make it "birch burl" in English. Either way, this material is what is used on probably 90+% of Norwegian custom knives.

I can also add that the version you have is called "Peer Gynt", whereas the small plastic handled version is called "Lille-Peer" (Little Peer) and the scrollworked one is "Fiin-Peer" (Fancy Peer). If my memory serves.

Where did you get yours? Did you inherit it?

Thanks again. I guess I came to the right place :)
Yes, mine is an inheritance from an Uncle, and I was just so curious to what this was. Its a beautiful knife, and I realy like it.
Simpel and clean.
Thanks again.

Back