1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

NOS vintage Plumb double bit with original paint & labels. Never used.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by WarnerB, Oct 2, 2013.

1. WarnerB

WarnerB

Oct 29, 2012
    Here's my newest axe purchase/find.
    3.5lb head, 34" total length

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built a case for it out of pine, redwood & oak
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. bobs1415

bobs1415

Feb 10, 2013
    Nice score!

3. Mike082080

Mike082080

Nov 27, 2012
    Awesome!!! That's great! Nice job on the display case. Thts so cool to see. Does anyone know when they started the permabond? I have a vibrage plumb with permabond also.just curios. Beautiful axe warner!

4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Looks great!
    Permabond patent awarded 1958.

[​IMG]

5. WarnerB

WarnerB

Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks guys, It was definitely a lucky score.

Mike- You should post a pic of yours.

Steve- As usual you are a wealth of facts. That appears to be the original legal document granting the permabond patent. Nice...

6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Wow, neat axe, and display case!

7. ODB

ODB

Jul 21, 2013
    I suddenly realized that years ago somebody called a man crazy for not using that axe. I shall never do that again. Then again, I'll probably still do that but hesitate a moment before doing so.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Holy crap! That's immaculate.

For fit and finish, nothing ..... absolutely nothing .... competes with vintage Plumb.

9. Operator1975

Operator1975 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 24, 2010
    That's nice

10. Skiv

Skiv

Feb 21, 2006
    Hey, that's beautiful! Makes ya really smile.

Congratulations on a great find. I know what you feel -- I feel the same way about my Walters DB that never got used.

(and Square_peg: I'd argue that the Walters is pretty well fit and finished, too!)

11. WarnerB

WarnerB

Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks Peg, Operator, etc. She's a beaut ain't she! ;):thumbup:
    Skiv- Thanks, yep that Walters is a nice one too.

12. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    No argument from me. I've just been very impressed with vintage Plumb. The axes are perfectly symmetrical. The eye hole is well centered with eye walls of uniform thickness. The eyes align well wit the bits. The cheeks are nicely convexed but not too high, etc. Lot's of other good axes out there, too.

13. Skiv

Skiv

Feb 21, 2006
    Wasn't breakin' yer stones, or at least only in a joking way, so I hope you'll forgive me. But you have a really good point: There was a time when almost any axe (or other tool) was well-made like that. Some still are but we tend to be a little surprised to find it so. Aside from the fact of this axe having survived in as-new condition, it's a snapshot of a moment in time when axes were made a certain way.

Every time I look at that axe I want to use it -- which reminds me of that Far Side cartoon where the two barbarians are in a bar and one is saying to the other (while holding a spiked mace), "There's something about holding a good mace in your hand. You just look for an excuse to smash something." And in through the door is walking a guy blowing a bubble in his gum...

14. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    That's nice Warner. I think them plumbs are top shelf all the way. Unlike some vintage axes(Collins) that I think are over rated Plumbs seem to always be good.

15. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Good stuff, Skiv. Barbarian humor! I didn't feel like you were bustin' my balls at all.

16. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nice piece you found there.
    Here is a small sport axe with the Permabond...

Attached Files:

17. WarnerB

WarnerB

Oct 29, 2012
    -Thanks garry, that's a good point.
    -Nice one, Dusty. I think I remember when you posted that one. Awesome.