Not concerned about scratches any more??

This question has probably been asked before. However, I was looking at my Sebenza this morning and thinking about scratches on the scales/handles. (It still looks pretty good!) When I first got it in the mail, it was perfect! Maybe the ONLY new knife I had ever purchased without a blemish anywhere. I knew that it would just kill me to get that first scratch on those perfect scales. So, I bought that really nice, pillow soft sheath. (How do they make leather THAT soft??) That worked for larger pockets like in jackets. But then I was always worried about the slick, soft sheath sliding right out of my pocket and being lost (with my Sebenza inside!) forever. (You see, you grow an attachment to your "own" Sebenza. You want THAT one.) So, then I bought the great "snap" sheath that CRK offers. Surely this would Keep my Sebenza "scratch-free". But now, I usually have the Sebenza just clipped to the inside of my pocket. (Or even with the clip off, down in my pocket with the keys, coins, or whatever else needs to be carried. I still feel that my Sebenza is the best knife I've ever owned, in fact my opinion has gone UP, rather than down. It's only curiosity that makes me wonder how many other guys have finally came to the same conclusion. I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Will

If it gets a little scratched up, that's okay with me. This is a knife I use a lot, not one that sits in the display case. That's reason enough to use it any not spend every waking moment worrying about it. :)

~Mitch

Exactly my point! This is my "using" knife!
I don't think Chris made Sebenza's to "sit under glass"! I'm intrigued by several new knives. (It "never" ends. :) ) However my Sebenza is the best "USING" knife I've ever had! It's a little strange, but all those tiny scratches are starting to look pretty good. It's kind of like the nickle silver bolsters on a folder of that style. All the tiny scratches begin to form a dull "patina" that looks good.

Will

G2 sheaths keep your Seb. out of harm's way for the most part. Mine rides canted forward so that it doesn't poke at me when I bend, and it's easier to grab when worn on your backside.

Gary Graley is a pure craftsman, and though he can be extremely difficult to deal with at times due to his madcap temperament ;), he's always got a place in his heart for your knife's wellbeing. Being eccentric is the way of an artist.

Professor.

Attachments

• celtic_canted.jpg
    celtic_canted.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 584
You guys actually CARRY your knives UNPROTECTED?? (shocked surprise)

I carry the lets-not-talk-about-this-abomination Les Robertson Black Teflon coated Large Seb with me everywhere. In a nylon pouch, inside my leather bag. It doesn't have a scratch on it.

I DO carry a knife stuck in my pants pocket, but it is a Ti slabbed Talonite bladed Kit Carson #18 folder. For some reason (perhaps because I don't carry metal objects in this pocket), it doesn't seem to pick up scratches.

Tongue somewhat in cheek, I remain,

yrs. truly, Walt

That DOES look nice. I can't tell. Is the lanyard on that woodie made from leather? Looks like it matches the sheath really well. I agree with you. It would be really nice (not to mention very cool!) to have a canted sheath like that riding snugly behind my right hip. To me, it looks like Gary is getting better and better at making these sheaths. The one in the picture you posted is downright beautiful! The only thing is (especially with a lanyard) someone could "pick your pocket". Can you imagine the anger you would feel when you got home, reached for your Sebenza to open a letter or package--and the sheath was empty! It's tough to contemplate.

Will

Thats why i had Gary, create a sheath with a flap on it. It has a nice strong snap on it, opens and closes with a nice loud snaping sound. I just love it, you can not go wrong with one of his sheath. Plus he is a awesome person to deal with.

Originally posted by Will.223
..Is the lanyard on that woodie made from leather? ...
Yep its a piece of leather braided into the knife, works and looks nice, easier than tying that knot...:)

The only thing is (especially with a lanyard) someone could "pick your pocket"...

The Sebenza fits into the sheath quite snugly and removes with a bit of effort on your part, the sheath moves up on the belt until you clear the sheath so it makes it a little easier to feel someone messing with your prize! And the lanyard in your pocket would do the same but probably easier as it's only clipped...

Thanks Prof and Hermie and Prof the treatments are coming along fine, my temper is much better now...:D
G2

Ditto on Gary and his sheathwork! I have one for my plain large and it puts my Sebenza out of the way except when I need it. Just the way a great sheath should.

I have carried my large woody since June, except when I switch off with my plain, and now large LI Classic. I have noticed no marks on the polished surface of the woody. Of course I always carry it by its lonesome.

Did notice some marks on the plain model. Took the "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish" along with some 800 grit wet/dry paper to the slabs and now have a nice light gray satin like finish that cleans up nicely and doesn't really show many marks if any.

Of course the best part is the ability to send it in to CRK and for a nominal fee get it back like brand new!! :D

Sheath that holds knife with clip??

I thought it might be cool to have avalible sheaths that have room or a wet formed spot for the clip to fit in. This is so you could have your cake and eat it too. Some people really like those clips.;)

I know that with most sheaths the article in question usually snaps in with a tight fit. It might be difficult to have this fit with room for the clip and still have the "snap into place fit". It might be interesting if Gary came up with something:)

Later, JC

Jchubb, as a matter of fact I'm finishing up two sheaths tonight for a fellow in England that expressly requested to keep the clip in place and as you rightly figured out, I formed around the clip and the sheath will actually hold with or without the clip attached, now this would only be for the Vertical or canted styl sheaths, the horizontals I still keep the clips off of the knives, since the clip side goes in first on those...if you want I'll post a pic of the two later on when they are finished? One is for a small wood inlay and the other a large plain Sebenza...

G2

GREAT!!!!! Good job Gary!!

Hi, Thats great!! :D Yeah I would be hesistant to have one that fits on your belt in the horizontal position. Post a pic when you complete those. They sound like they are well thought out. I do like that snap in fit that I have heard your sheaths provide. On the ones that have to have the clip taken off......is there a piece that can be put there.??? So that there is no tooling depression for the clip. But instead a nice even flush fit piece with the high polished screw still inplace.;)

Cya, JC

On the ones that have to have the clip off, horizontal sheaths, the clip side is facing in towards you so the leather doesn't get formed into the recess....here are the two that are going to make the trip across the pond this week...
G2

OOPS, My sincere apologies to all of your Countrymen!!!

G2

Back to the orginal posting.
One of my large Sebbies is used at work. I work offshore on a vessel that does Zodiac and work-boat work so it is subjected to saltwater 6 months of the year. It is the ONLY folder I have found that will hold up, and still holds up. Scratches galore. But no problem as it can be sent back for re-furbishing if the inclination allows. Still, for those who have the nice wood inlay or design models I can see that some of those sheaths are very, very nice.
Rad

I've never worried about scratches. They look better when they're well-worn, anyway...

Back