Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

Question for the GB2 crew...

Do you feel that the new release 2's are somehow.. I don't know... weaker or maybe don't lock up quite as solid as the first run 2's?

I've had maybe 4 of them over the years. Sold my last one and decided I made a mistake. Bought a new run version and it just doesn't seem the same. Not quite as solid lockup is the only way I can describe it.

Still among my all time favorite knives, without question.

M731JKnl.jpg

Question for the GB2 crew...

Do you feel that the new release 2's are somehow.. I don't know... weaker or maybe don't lock up quite as solid as the first run 2's?

I've had maybe 4 of them over the years. Sold my last one and decided I made a mistake. Bought a new run version and it just doesn't seem the same. Not quite as solid lockup is the only way I can describe it.

Still among my all time favorite knives, without question.
I haven’t found any differences between my two other than a slight difference in lockup percentage and a little lock stick on the new one, and that issue went away quickly. Both are rock solid with free swinging blades when the lock is released. Damn near folder perfection in my eyes.

I learned yesterday I can shake open my GB2. No concern that it would ever come open inadvertently in my pocket. I had a shiro with a light detent and the flipper would get bumped in my pocket and open. Not a worry with the GB2, but it's also the only other knife I've ever been able to do that. Any others find this a little too light?

I learned yesterday I can shake open my GB2. No concern that it would ever come open inadvertently in my pocket. I had a shiro with a light detent and the flipper would get bumped in my pocket and open. Not a worry with the GB2, but it's also the only other knife I've ever been able to do that. Any others find this a little too light?
Yes.
I can shake my gb2 out. It takes a little effort but it’s not impossible.
If it were any lighter, it’d be an issue.
The detent on my rex45 milli is about the same.
The detent on my gb1’s was even lighter.

Here are my experiences using only the GB2 for everything for a month.

The knife was new, only lightly used on paper and cardboard once, and stropped on leather with diamond sprays. As a first step I put my own edge on it using DMT plates. As a result, this small peak appeared:

IMG-0389.jpg

I was alarmed at first, but then it did good service a few times by digging into my skin and stopping my index finger from sliding onto the blade when I was habitually trying to use the GB2 as a finger choil knife.

Because of its HHG, I knew it would perform admirably in the kitchen. Making mushroom risotto:

CIMG0727.jpg

It diced the onions really fine.

It made apple sauce multiple times.

CIMG0798.jpg

Okay then, lets make some hard apple cider! It really helped with the patina.

IMG-0183.jpg

Lets harvest some salad greens! And grapes! Not a challenge.

CIMG0733.jpg

CIMG0802.jpg

Opening duck feed and a parcel:

CIMG0818.jpg

CIMG0773.jpg

It sharpened everything.

CIMG0754.jpg

Debarking was a breeze.

CIMG0732.jpg

The ideal drinking companion: a teetotaler, who keeps quiet. :D

CIMG0794.jpg

In the beginning I was stropping every night, but I stopped out of curiosity and only used the Spyderco UF stone after two weeks. Then I didn't touch the edge for another two weeks, only oiling it now and then.

Also, in the beginning there was an invisible chip on the edge, but it smoothed out over time.

One hand operation was not a problem, even in thin gloves. Only in thick, lined gloves was unlocking impossible.

The pocket clip does the job, at first I thought it's too strong, but then I got used to it. I really depends what you are wearing.
Both the clip and the carbon fiber scales retained their original looks nicely, no marks or scuffings.

I disassembled the folder once to clean it out without any issues.

The patina developed nicely as well:

IMG-0390.jpg

I don't think the lockup changed at all, but I forgot to document it. Also, the lock stick was pretty strong initially, and it decreased to a very acceptable level. Usage made it handier.

Indeed, for a month the Bradley Folder 2 did all cutting tasks, in the kitchen I put away all the other knives, in the garden I stopped using the shears and it was cutting inch thick saplings and weeds with ease day after day.

It's a good folder, I got used to it, and now, since I started using a PM2, I miss it. I mean it's sitting right next to me, but I will never sell it.

I've been carrying my brand new GB2 since it arrived two weeks ago. It started out needing a bit of TLC: Spydie-hole was extremely sharp (60 seconds of spinning it on a thin screwdriver wrapped in automotive wetsand paper fixed that) and lockstick that required a second hand to unlock. The lock is breaking in nicely, and I now am singing a very different tune on the GB2. Frankly I LOVE it, and now bestow it with the highest praise I can honor a folding knife with: I rank it equal to the GB1. I honestly don't want to carry anything else (apart from the Swayback that is).

Has anyone tried using a Sharpie for lock stick? I have an Emerson Commander that had very bad lock stick, and I read somewhere here about using a Sharpie on the lock face & blade where it locks up. I tried it & it worked miracles. I had to re-apply every couple days, until it finally got broken in.

Has anyone tried using a Sharpie for lock stick? I have an Emerson Commander that had very bad lock stick, and I read somewhere here about using a Sharpie on the lock face & blade where it locks up. I tried it & it worked miracles. I had to re-apply every couple days, until it finally got broken in.
Yes sir, I did. Still was a stickipodomus.

It’s a great knife.

I was lucky and got two examples a few years ago that have perfect action and lockup. That bit of recurve seems to be on most models I have seen.

I wish there was a bit more detent pressure to keep it closed, it will open if dropped.

That said...I love the design and the blade.

This knife needs/deserves sprint runs...

Or could read as- I need sprint runs of this knife!

It’s a great knife.

I was lucky and got two examples a few years ago that have perfect action and lockup. That bit of recurve seems to be on most models I have seen.

I wish there was a bit more detent pressure to keep it closed, it will open if dropped.

That said...I love the design and the blade.
I believe mine to have a perfectly ground blade in the way the knife was designed, and mine has a perfect detent - definitely not popping open from a typical drop fall. My detent is noticeably stronger than my solid liner GB1, and was why it was necessary to dehorn the Spydie-hole a bit as breaking detent to open was wearing into the skin on my thumb (which are pretty tough like most of us knifeaddicts). Mine is pretty on par with the typical Sebenza detent-wise. It started out sharp-holed and sticky-locked, but it has broken in to be EXACTLY what I want in a GB2, a virtual GB2zaan.
9hClhuNh.jpg

3GQO4dDh.jpg

kUKt4yQ.jpg

GB2 on a dreary day.

As for detent, mine is medium. Not too strong, not too weak, and I can't shake the blade out. Spydie flickable! Had horrible lock stick at first that worked out and is now smooth as silk. Amazing knife. I would buy a sprint run if it, or an exclusive, but man, how can you top M4 and those beautiful scales!

kUKt4yQ.jpg

GB2 on a dreary day.

As for detent, mine is medium. Not too strong, not too weak, and I can't shake the blade out. Spydie flickable! Had horrible lock stick at first that worked out and is now smooth as silk. Amazing knife. I would buy a sprint run if it, or an exclusive, but man, how can you top M4 and those beautiful scales!
You can't, you simply run the blade up to near polished and then DLC it - instant sprint perfection.

Back