1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Not impressed with the low price kershaws

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mrbeaattie, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kai Winters

Kai Winters

Mar 16, 2012
    Shearing the screw on the clip has to take some effort...not just slipping it into your pocket.
    I have 4 Kershaws and for the price they are all nice knives...not a problem with any of them.
    As Scurvy says...more to this than meets the eye

2. AdanHuan39

AdanHuan39

May 22, 2012
    I actually have had a similar experience; my Injection 3.0 has had the screws inside the scales that hold the liners together sheared off. It came that way, too; first thing when I took it out of the box, I noticed the shifting in the handles.
    That being said, I'd recommend either size Injection to anyone. I think it's an unfortunately overlooked knife. Both of mine are very smooth with excellent action, and really tough but thin behind the edge. They are some of the best slicers I own, and I've used them hard. And the ergonomics are so comfortable in so many grips. With them (I imagine) being discontinued soon, they're available at bargain prices now, too.

3. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    I've carried a budget Kershaw for the majority of the last several years without any issue. The edge holding isn't sensational, but it's not terrible, and that's the worst I've had with them.

Admittedly, their newer budget line, using the 3Cr13 are a little bit spottier, but if you're sticking with ones like the OSO Sweet, Clash, Tremor, Cryo, etc you should be fine.

4. FA Tre

FA Tre

Jun 20, 2015
    I have two Kershaws- a skyline which I think we can all agree is amazing for what it is, and an Emerson Kershaw collaboration. I hear that the Emerson Kershaws can be a bit hit or miss, but I have had no issues whatsoever with mine. I'm actually quite impressed with it.

5. Jimislash

Jimislash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2016
    While there are some of the less expensive Kershaws that I don't care for design-wise, I have never had a quality issue with them. The OSO Sweet is very nice. Plus, KAI's customer service is fantastic!

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    It is fairly simple for me.... I don't generally buy Kershaw knives (US or Chinese manufacture). I do buy ZT knives, but I consider them expensive and the process of buying and choosing is slow. I just never saw the need with Kershaw as I am pretty comfortable with Spyderco.

7. glocker199

glocker199

Mar 14, 2005
    I've had a few here and there and they were mostly junk. Soft steel that wouldn't hold an edge, rough finish, etc. I even had one that the liner lock was a bit too long and the blade wouldn't open completely.

8. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    The Crown I had with blue G10 was pretty nice but the Brawler was horrible. I do have my eye on one of the Emerson collaborations though.

9. Deltadag

Deltadag

Nov 16, 2002
    It's all comes down to what are reasonable expectations. Kershaw's budget (inexpensive or cheap) offerings are Chinese made. You really can't expect these knives to exhibit extensive lightening machine work on the handles (think the nice-looking but decidedly overweight all-steel Cryo models) or the best fit and finish or reliability (think the notoriously bad Nura models). That said, it's perhaps best to think of China-made Kershaws as far better than no knife at all, or as stepping stones for knife afficionados new to the hobby who might later gravitate to USA-made Kershaws or ZTs.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. Deer

Deer

Sep 23, 2016
    I recommend US made :D

11. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus

Sep 24, 2013
    I've had a Crown, a 6K and a Nura. I still have the Crown. It came with a crack in the micarta around the lanyard hole but it was like $10, what are ya gonna do? The Nura didn't flip very well and the 6K was good but unremarkable. In the price range, I've had better experiences with byrd, Sanrenmu, the recently departed HK line and knives like Svords and Opinels. But I don't feel like I got ripped off by Kershaw, they're perfectly acceptable knives.

12. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I've several inexpensive Kershaw and like them all. The Oso-Sweet and Volt II are fine AOs and the Crown is one of the best EDCs around IMHO. The Skyline is an excellent flipper. I don't recall what other models I have, but they were all just fine. I don't really care of the Chill - just the blade shape and it's too easy to flip for me. Good knife, just not my cup of tea. I'll continue to buy Kershaws when I see models I like.

Rich

13. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I'm done with Kershaw, or Kai in general. Too many things get swept under the rug. Design issues galore. Cool looking and great ergonomics is only part of what makes a knife design good.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  14. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Yes, my 1970 kershaw broke within the week, i had to grind a detent into the blade to keep it closed without the assist spring

15. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    I miss the days when Kershaw was THE brand to have. Once they introduced Zero Tolerance Kershaw as a premier brand went away. Some of my favorite knives have been Kershaws, albeit Kershaws that cost about $150 new back in the early 2000's. What's that now, $300 or so?

Anyway, in the back of my mind I've always resented a little bit them taking the name of Kershaw and relegating it to cheap knives. Yes, the US made Kershaw line is pretty good for the money, but most of the other stuff I wouldn't think about. Not because they're necessarily a rip off or anything, but because I feel the name Kershaw is worth more than that.

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jul 29, 2016
    No problems with any I have owned...I do not whack them with 5 pound sledge hammers or have unreasonable expectations of them.

17. wtlj

wtlj

Jun 30, 2014
    You get what pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Gaston444

Gaston444

Oct 1, 2014
    My one Kershaw, awkwardly named the RJ MArtin "Tactical" 3.5 1986mw, is superb in fit and by far my best folder ever for ergonomics and function (assisted flipper), but it came with a blunt secondary bevel. Making it sharp required very tall bevels and was hard, a task only made easier by the hollow grind.

The steel seems very hard, based mostly on the difficulty in sharpening it...

The RJ design, from the pattern on the plastic handle to its handle and blade shape, are my favourite ever for a small EDC folder. The assisted opening is a huge plus, with no downsides whatsoever.

Steel liner on steel, so likely more durable than a lot of expensive Titanium liner on steel designs...

Gaston

19. 1 ADAM12

1 ADAM12

Nov 22, 2013
    Ah now, don't be that away...

20. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I just got a Grinder. Seems like a solid little knife for $18, but we'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]