Not Just for Florists

I have to ask, how did you find room to file the Classic’s blade to a sheepsfoot, Jackknife? Did it cut into the nail nick?

It was an old classic with a well worn blade that was a bit skinnier than a new one. It still was a sheep foot with a little belly to the blade, not a perfect sheep foot. With a fairly new classic, it would be a difficult job without doing what you did on the larger SAK.

IMG-20200502-013145975.jpg

Don't forget the elusive Victorinox limited wharncliff.

I got my Victorinox Floral Knife not merely for the sheepsfoot blade but also because it was a cheap way to satisfy my curiosity about the chisel grind. It turns out to be a solidly constructed knife, easily sharpened, and useful for a number of tasks besides cutting flowers (which I seldom have occasion to do). Now I'm going to order another one.
floral1.jpg floral2.jpg floral3.jpg
ETA. I just now ordered a purple one and another red one.

Last edited:
Thanks to J jackknife and S shopdoc today I'm totin' a new to me Gardener/Florist.
Those guys began posting about their experiences with this model at a time when I was discovering that 4 inch pocket knives suited me well and that the usefulness of the sheepfoot blade for EDC was exceptional.
The Gardener has both those characteristics so as was inevitable I recently secured this one to try. Even though I've only had it a couple of days it checks many of my current knife boxes.

Here's a partial list of those boxes in no particular order
4" closed - comfort box
2.5" blade - legal most everywhere box
sheepfoot - useful and easy to sharpen box
stainless - low maintenance box
pinchable - easily opened box
action - smooth with good snap box
pull - sufficient to be safe without excess box
lightweight - easy carry box
inexpensive - cost box
quality - expected durability box
nylon - not cellidor box
victorinox - warranted box
looks - cool factor box

oJSzwMC.jpg

It's not likely to replace my Evogrip 11 or Sportsman as my EDC multi-tool but as a single bladed knife it has already made quite an impression on me. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll try and keep you posted... :)

Thanks to J jackknife and S shopdoc today I'm totin' a new to me Gardener/Florist.
Those guys began posting about their experiences with this model at a time when I was discovering that 4 inch pocket knives suited me well and that the usefulness of the sheepfoot blade for EDC was exceptional.
The Gardener has both those characteristics so as was inevitable I recently secured this one to try. Even though I've only had it a couple of days it checks many of my current knife boxes.

Here's a partial list of those boxes in no particular order
4" closed - comfort box
2.5" blade - legal most everywhere box
sheepfoot - useful and easy to sharpen box
stainless - low maintenance box
pinchable - easily opened box
action - smooth with good snap box
pull - sufficient to be safe without excess box
lightweight - easy carry box
inexpensive - cost box
quality - expected durability box
nylon - not cellidor box
victorinox - warranted box
looks - cool factor box

oJSzwMC.jpg

It's not likely to replace my Evogrip 11 or Sportsman as my EDC multi-tool but as a single bladed knife it has already made quite an impression on me. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll try and keep you posted... :)

J jackknife pull over the bus, we’ve got another convert!

redsparrow redsparrow the Florist has quickly become my favorite outdoor/garden/mulch/workshop/utility knife. Your criteria are very similar to mine. If I were to carry one single bladed knife, this would be it. You do not notice it in the pocket and yet it is able to handle any hard job. If the job is too much for this blade, then you need a “fixed” blade.

Twice a week I panic and consider buying 5 more just in case they discontinue the model.

redsparrow redsparrow the Florist has quickly become my favorite outdoor/garden/mulch/workshop/utility knife. Your criteria are very similar to mine. If I were to carry one single bladed knife, this would be it. You do not notice it in the pocket and yet it is able to handle any hard job. If the job is too much for this blade, then you need a “fixed” blade.

Twice a week I panic and consider buying 5 more just in case they discontinue the model.
S shopdoc Lol, I've already sent for a second one just in case of... whatever. This knife is so good I know I don't want to be without. I'm probably a typical suburban/small town user and don't need a lot of blade but I'm old enough to prefer comfort and a smooth 4 inch handle is just right.
Maybe we aught to keep this amazing knife just between the three of us.;) A knife this good has the potential to ruin the entire knife industry. If word gets out that a sub $20 blade is more than enough for any real or even perceived cutting need, well I hate to think what might happen. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Tell J jackknife let's keep it under our hat, would ya? o_O:)

S shopdoc Lol, I've already sent for a second one just in case of... whatever. This knife is so good I know I don't want to be without. I'm probably a typical suburban/small town user and don't need a lot of blade but I'm old enough to prefer comfort and a smooth 4 inch handle is just right.
Maybe we aught to keep this amazing knife just between the three of us.;) A knife this good has the potential to ruin the entire knife industry. If word gets out that a sub $20 blade is more than enough for any real or even perceived cutting need, well I hate to think what might happen. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Tell J jackknife let's keep it under our hat, would ya? o_O:)

Psst, hey sparrow, over here.

Keep it under your hat, but with Victorinox, and the recruit, classic, garden knife, and bantam, you can get a great everyday knife for under 20 dollars. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Psst, hey sparrow, over here.

Keep it under your hat, but with Victorinox, and the recruit, classic, garden knife, and bantam, you can get a great everyday knife for under 20 dollars. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Who else knows about this and how long has it been going on? :eek:
Are Case, Buck and GEC aware? ;)
Those Swiss are amazing!!:)

Who else knows about this and how long has it been going on? :eek:
Are Case, Buck and GEC aware? ;)
Those Swiss are amazing!!:)

Its not just the Swiss, but the European cutlery market in general that has b been ahead of the U.S. for decades in the flat low cost effective pocket knife field. By the time Buck came out with the much hyped 110 in 1964, the Europeans had Opinels, Mercator K55's, Douk-Douk's, and penny knives/friction folders by the score for a century or more. I remember when I was a teenager, the black handle K55 'Cat knife' was sold at the Army-Navy surplus stores for .99 cents.

In the 1960's they went up to all of $1.25 to $1.50 each and we kids thought that was an outrageous price hike. And the laser like cutting Opinels in 1982 were all of 9.95 for a number 9, and 8.95 for a number 8. And the Mercator and Opinel both cut like the dickens. On the American market companies like Camillus, Imperial, Schrade, Colonial, all had knives for what a few beers at the local bar would cost on the way home from work.

Frankly, I was always a bit mystified why the holy Buck 110 was popular. I seemed like a lot of money for what was a more expensive knife at that time that was three times heavier than it had to be, and wouldn't do anything a k55 cat knife would do.

Now we have the Victorinox models like the florist, recruit, bantam, that sell for the price of a chain restaurant lunch with a beer and will cut what yo need to cut with some tools on the side with the recruits and bantam. I can't think of anything I need to cut that the florist won't cut. It just lacks bragging rights for video gamer tacticool crowd. But it cuts like the dickens!

A black floral knife came a day or so ago. It is a Victorinox in every respect except that it is marketed as a Victorynox.

blackfloral1.jpg

Here is the tang.

blackfloral2.jpg

Even the shield is apparently authentic.

blackfloral3.jpg

Last edited:
Back