Not sure if anyone has brought these up...

I have a columbia hat like the tilly above I wear in summer and a ball cap the rest of the time. Ball caps are the best when used with rain coat/hood IMO. The bill helps move the hood so you can actually look around.

I have had my eye on one since Zombieland. I'm just about ready to drop the hammer on one. :D

Same here Tyrkon!!! Woody ROCKED the Tarp Hat!!!

I ordered in mid January. Pretty sweet hat.Mine needs an oiling to darken it up a little.
I'll get some pics of it up after work.

I love my RDB! Great freaking hat and only gets better. I took some 550 cord and wrapped it around the hat and secured it with a cordlock. On really windy days I run it through the grommets and I have a chinstrap!

Old cell phone picks (550 not included):
IMAGE_254.jpg

IMAGE_269.jpg

IMAGE_258.jpg

I have 2. To remedy the problem with ventilation I popped in 2 more grommets in the top side of the hat. Works very well. I added my own strap made out of paracord and a cord lock. You can find TRDB hats for under $30 if you know where to look (Google it).

Purchased the wife one of the real deal purses for mothers day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look pretty cool, I may have to get one myself.

Edit: By the way, what would you oil it with?

-Connor

Last edited:
They look sahweet, If I had some disposable income maybe. They look rugged as hell and I like the reuse of material. I like my leather hat best, I put all the scars, fade, and sweat rings into it : )

I love mine. I wear it all the time. Most rugged hat i've ever owned and for those of you in Texas I bought mine at Buc-ees.:D

These are pretty cool. I may get one some day.

When I got padi certified I needed a cheap hat for being in the sun. I have a shaved head and dont like burning it. So i went to Walmart and bought a CHEAP floppy hat. I figured I would chunk it after the trip.

Ill be darned if that hat hasnt lasted forever! Big wide brim with goofy buttons for an "Aussie" look. But it works, it fits, it was cheap, and its become my "bushcraft" hat.

I think it cost 7.00. Still, not as "conscious" as one of these, but its been a good one.

prior to that I wore a mil issue boonie or a Filson... And of course I have my Akubra from down under.

These are pretty cool. I may get one some day.

When I got padi certified I needed a cheap hat for being in the sun. I have a shaved head and dont like burning it. So i went to Walmart and bought a CHEAP floppy hat. I figured I would chunk it after the trip.

Ill be darned if that hat hasnt lasted forever! Big wide brim with goofy buttons for an "Aussie" look. But it works, it fits, it was cheap, and its become my "bushcraft" hat.

I think it cost 7.00. Still, not as "conscious" as one of these, but its been a good one.

prior to that I wore a mil issue boonie or a Filson... And of course I have my Akubra from down under.

I got one in greece 2.5 years ago. Was an emergency purchase as i almost got a sunstroke. Spent an large part of the day in the open sun without headgear. Got feverish and a headache.
Served me well on most vacations/bushcraft outings till last summer, its getting REAL floppy now, with the rim hanging about when not buttoned up.

Just curious to know what you used for oil and if you could post a pic before and after the oiling?
Thanks.

+1, i'll probably waterproof spray it but oiling sounds good too.

Last edited:
Well I didn't have a pic before I oiled it but it was pretty light, oiling darkened it alot. I just soaked it in boiled linseed oil and let it dry. It stiffened up quite a bit too which is fine with me.
024aceee.jpg

1c792c0f.jpg

This is a pic off their website, not of my hat but this is pretty close to the color that mine was before oiling.
4f7777c7.jpg

Man I hadn't been on their website for a long time, they make all kinds of stuff now. I may get one of the ball caps too.

Back to top :)

Just received mine yesterday. I love it, still fighting with the steel rim for a nice shape. Ordered a XL, it is a bit on the "spacious" side. It fits but its a loose fit. My head size was on the lower side of the XL. so it was a bit of a gamble. Just one more reason to order a second, a size smaller :)
Waterproof sprayed it right away. Most probably going to oil it too for the color.

yeah i know, pics or it didnt happen, getting those soon. Have more fresh gear to show :)

Back