Not sure what to do…

Lee D

BANNED
Here’s the situation…my state passed constitutional carry, and it starts July 1st. I’ve had my carry permit 20 years now, I travel all over the state for work, and have always carried a pistol. That will not change.

Back on topic, my permit expires in September, and I’m not sure if I’m going to renew it…one bonus is that it not only allows me to carry firearms, but also allows for automatics…something I’ve recently become interested in (not that I carry my LUDT daily). Would you spend the $55 and renew it to allow you to carry a switchblade, or would you let it expire and be content with OHO folders?

there’s obviously no correct answer, I’m just kinda curious how many members feel they couldn’t live without an automatic.

*I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move it to where it belongs.

I'd absolutely renew it. I will pay for itself the first time you're confronted by a police officer. A permit will go a long way towards de-escalation if you are searched for some reason. Not to mention, if you ever want to travel, it's good to have a permit that has reciprocity with other states. I'm pretty happy to have mine, that's for sure.

I'd absolutely renew it. I will pay for itself the first time you're confronted by a police officer. A permit will go a long way towards de-escalation if you are searched for some reason. Not to mention, if you ever want to travel, it's good to have a permit that has reciprocity with other states.
Good points, I hadn’t considered interacting with out-of-town LE.
Around here they are chill about carrying a firearm, but that’s not a sure thing when I leave the county/state.

Good points, I hadn’t considered interacting with out-of-town LE.
Around here they are chill about carrying a firearm, but that’s not a sure thing when I leave the county/state.

Exactly. Constitutional Carry is A. awesome but B. it also can make you a target in other jurisdictions, especially if you live in a state and county that marks its plates. Police in other areas will see your plate, and immediately the whole tone of a stop would change. I've had friends who had this happen.

Anyway, I think you know the best course of action to take! :D

Exactly. Constitutional Carry is A. awesome but B. it also can make you a target in other jurisdictions, especially if you live in a state and county that marks its plates. Police in other areas will see your plate, and immediately the whole tone of a stop would change. I've had friends who had this happen.

Anyway, I think you know the best course of action to take! :D
Indeed..gonna spend that $55 for another 5 years 🤘🏻

Exactly as others have stated, renew it. Reciprocity recognition is paramount. Plus, it becomes just another layer of protection for you if you are ever in a situation (to use your weapon) in your own state too. It would certainly work in your favor for CCL insurance purposes. $55 is nothing compared to any possible de-escalation having it will work in your favor.

Edit spelling.

Last edited:
As others have said, renew it.

If a situation arises and the police run your info, it will come up as a person who has had a current and valid carry permit for 20+ years. That might get you some bonus points and enchance your credibility with the police as a law abiding citizen who has done their part to lawfully carry a weapon if something turns into an "ugly situation" if you get my drift.

Oof, not the most eloquent post I've even made.

Renew it, but only because you have to in order to carry great blades!

Next, get your state to pass better knife laws. In Az no permit does not affect knife carry. I had the permit for 15 years, discontinued after constitutional. I don't travel much, and CA won't recognize it, so I stopped mine.

Back