Not using what I carry and not carrying what I use - New level of the sickness.

The only time I get this way is with my SM-100 Stinger. I carry and use it. I only thought I lost it once when I had to get in my skivvies for an MRI- I think I am going to put a lanyard on it now.
Everything I own that I am not going to use is getting sold in the next 2-3 months I tried out about 15 knives, found what I loved, and before putting hard use on them and lowering the value made some decisions.
I think my insurance guy said for $10 on the $1000 per year you can put a rider on your home insurance for your wife's diamond ring, your heirloom gun, or an expensive knife in case of loss of theft.
Knives are not works of art easy to display. You don't want kids getting into them, and besides us most people can;t tell 1 $10 knife from a $10,000 knife.
I suppose a similar debate is going on over at "screwdriverforums.com" - ah man, should I carry my Grimsman specialty #6 Torx or just use my Leatherman?!
If a guy told you he was carrying a thousand dollar custom screwdriver but never used it, what would you tell him?
Silly. Use your tools, tools.

Anyone who did not post smatchet as the correct answer you seriously need to take a good, long, hard look at yourself.

If a guy told you he was carrying a thousand dollar custom screwdriver but never used it, what would you tell him?

Good point.
I only have a few knives that never get used and it's not because of their price. I have three that are duplicates of knives that I had as a kid and one Böker Barlow that has sentimental value to me. Those knives just stay home on display. I have a few that are gathering dust and they are soon for the auction block.

My edc is the most expensive pocket knife I own. I use it. It's a tool. Marks, dings, and scratches give it character. I paid good hard earned money for the damn thing, I'm sure gonna use it. Life's to short to not enjoy the stuff you've bought.

Has anyone figured out the correct answer yet?
I think so. Have you? My answer is a SAK and if you like something nicer also, carry it but use the SAK for dirtier tasks or ones that have a higher potential to ruin the edge.

Then there is the Smatchet which is the answer for everything. To this day, I still regret not buying the Randall Smatchet back in the early 90's.

The three answers are SAK, smatchet, and Peanut.... covers about everything.

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out the correct answer yet?

ex1wp710ib641.jpg

Yes! And in the rare situation in which Smatchet does not apply, Case Peanut.

Acceptable also is Junglas, in certain situations, but only used by a certain person. :D

The only other correct answer I can think of is “bacon”.

Unfortunately, neither will help someone with four knives on him that drives all the way to his house to get a knife to cut something. :rolleyes: Seriously?

In the immortal words of Charlie Mike - use your shit!

I can see keeping something pristine for collecting purposes, but if it’s in your pocket? What the hell, mang? o_O

Pristine is generally not in your pocket. Use your shit!

Absolutely! If it’s in your pocket, you obviously intend to use it for something. If it’s not being used the only thing collecting anything is your knife, collecting lint.

Pristine is generally not in your pocket. Use your shit!
I just thought of something else...
Can you imagine how stupid one would feel if they never used their expensive knife that they couldn't leave home without, and then friggin' lost it at a gas station or wherever? Like you just had to have that ish with you though you never ever use it, but it got caught on your seatbelt or something and fell out of the car and now some Juggalo has your fidget skinner AND HE'S USING IT AAAAAAAARGH

I just thought of something else...
Can you imagine how stupid one would feel if they never used their expensive knife that they couldn't leave home without, and then friggin' lost it at a gas station or wherever? Like you just had to have that ish with you though you never ever use it, but it got caught on your seatbelt or something and fell out of the car and now some Juggalo has your fidget skinner AND HE'S USING IT AAAAAAAARGH

“Fidget skinner”! Ahahaha!!! :D

It's funny with the whole EDC knife thing. Whenever you use a non EDC knife, i.e. a knife that's there for a specific purpose, there's rarely any risk of damaging the knife, because you always use it for what it's meant for (wood, food etc.). With an EDC knife that's meant for solving whatever problem that may arise, you're bound to be putting the knife in the risk of minor damage sooner or later. That's why a knife that's not terribly expensive would be a better choice for that.

In light of this, it's pretty obvious to me that a lot of very expensive, every day carry type knives really are produced truly for being carried without being used (or at least rarely used), or just to be bought for collecting/resale. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong at all with carrying a really gorgeous knife, only to be brought out on rarer occasions when you can use it with no risk of damage, mostly to impress your friends :D.

To summarize, keep carrying your expensive, beautiful knives, rarely ever using them, but make sure to always carry a less expensive user + a multi tool or SAK as well to cover all bases. You don't seem to have a problem with carrying lots of stuff at the same time anyway.

Back