Number of knives for a show?

What would most of you who attend shows consider to be the minimum number of knives that a new knifemaker would want to bring to a show?

Guy Thomas

I have gone to shows with as few as 6 and as many as 25. I seem to do better when I have a larger selection -- more people stop and look. Also, it helps to have a fairly wide variety.

John Ownby
http://www.johnownby.com

Just bring all the good ones.
biggrin.gif

People like variety!
wink.gif

------------------
Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

www.andersoncustomknives.com

That's a good question. I always used to think that more is better...but I have changed my mind.

Also, it depends on the show and its nature. If you have 10 daggers done, none of them will get too much business draw at a little gun show, but they might get a huge amount of attention at a strictly knife show.

Just make sure that everyone is as clean as you can get it. If you see a little scratch, sand it out...even if the sun has to be half-way setting with a cloud over the shop and only two of your shop lights on with a gentle breeze blowing to see it...because as soon as you get to the show, it will stand out like someone hit it with a hammer.

I had about 4 knives in Eugene that proved this point tremendously.

I think as a new guy you should have at least 4-6, and about 10-12 of various styles seems even better.

Just some thoughts
wink.gif

Nick

Just take what you have ready and don't push yourself to get more done as this can cause you to cut corners and forget about checking some things that you normaly would have checked (experience talking here on this,I used to stay up night and day for a week before a show just so I would have more to show and They really shouldn't have been on the table)
As to how many,The way it was put to me once was like this:If you have so many knives on the table that you don't see the table people are likely going to look but wonder why you have so many knives for sale(read in here...Why arent other people buying his knives-I will look but I will buy somewhere else) and if you only have a few really nice ones out then they will be thinking that if they want one they better get it before you sell out since you only have a couple left for sale....
I was told that if you do have a bunch put most or atleast half under the table at first and then as you sell put another one upin it's place,or if someone says that they are looking for something a littlle different than what you have on the table,ask them what they have in mind and if you have something like it under the table tell them you do have one like that and then pull it out and show it to them...Marketing can be a BI##H sometimes you know..
Hope this helps out a little,
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Back