NYC advice

Greetings and salutations.

After perusing the NYC laws I figured I would bring it to the experts
I was wondering if a svor peasant (friction folder_) would be classified as a gravity knife in NYC (if modified by loosening the tension screw it could be opened with gravity (but not without modification)
the blade is held ope by force of the hand which could be loosely interpreted as a lock of sorts..

Any suggestions would be helpful... moving is not an option at this time.

Thanks

I would think that if it doesn't lock mechanically, you should be ok. Maybe see if others chime in.

Jordan

I certainly wouldn't risk it. Read This:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/12/knife-trouble-in-a-new-york-minute.html

Greetings and salutations.

After perusing the NYC laws I figured I would bring it to the experts
I was wondering if a svor peasant (friction folder_) would be classified as a gravity knife in NYC (if modified by loosening the tension screw it could be opened with gravity (but not without modification)
the blade is held ope by force of the hand which could be loosely interpreted as a lock of sorts..

Any suggestions would be helpful... moving is not an option at this time.

Thanks

I live in NYC, I own and have owned many expensive knives, and have carried them in NYC alot..

But recently I went out the house and forgot my STRIDER SNG was clipped to my pocket... Had a cop walked by me I would have LOST my $400 knife + I'd have to go to court and pay some ridiculous fine probably something like $75-$125 if not more.. and not to mention waste my time going to court for it.. + have it on my so-far CLEAN record...

Since then I barely carry a knife, if anything I will carry a multi-tool with a knife in it, I dont think multi-tools are illegal here, or I think I can get away with it if questioned.. (considering I am the super of a building)
But hey, a construction worker got thrown in jail on his way to work for carrying a Sheet-rock knife.. (utility knife) on him on the train.. ROFL how the fk is he supposed to work without it...? ??

I HATE living in NYC for their knife/gun laws... but I couldn't think about ever leaving.. I love this place TOO much to go anywhere else.. ( plus im going to become a police officer soon enough and I will be able to carry whatever I like ;) haha )

Back to my point... I now carry almost nothing as I said... or maybe a mini-recon 1 in my pocket.. i figure i wouldn't give a damn if a $25 knife got taken away..

Never-the-less.. I always have a flash-light on me living in this big city.. i know from experience what a blackout is like here and it aint pretty if you dont have a good light on hand ;).. considering I take 4 trains a day.. HAHA.. + lights are NOT illegal, so if your the "tacical-mind" type of person.. I'd suggest buying a good "tactical" flashlight, such as the Olight M20.. special operations varierty.. got the auto-push botton for strobe.. and a NICE bezel to bash some1's face in :)

LATER!!!

It doesn't lock, its under the legal length limit, doesn't have a double edge - should be perfectly legal as long as it stays out of sight. Whether it could be yanked as a "dangerous knife" or not following an unconstitutional stop and frisk is anyone's guess. NYPD don't seem to care much about the legality of their actions, there's no limit to how much $ they have to pay claims or fight accusations of abuse in court.

Its as safe a choice as you could make.

I live in NYC, I own and have owned many expensive knives, and have carried them in NYC alot..

But recently I went out the house and forgot my STRIDER SNG was clipped to my pocket... Had a cop walked by me I would have LOST my $400 knife + I'd have to go to court and pay some ridiculous fine probably something like $75-$125 if not more.. and not to mention waste my time going to court for it.. + have it on my so-far CLEAN record...

Since then I barely carry a knife, if anything I will carry a multi-tool with a knife in it, I dont think multi-tools are illegal here, or I think I can get away with it if questioned.. (considering I am the super of a building)
But hey, a construction worker got thrown in jail on his way to work for carrying a Sheet-rock knife.. (utility knife) on him on the train.. ROFL how the fk is he supposed to work without it...? ??

I HATE living in NYC for their knife/gun laws... but I couldn't think about ever leaving.. I love this place TOO much to go anywhere else.. ( plus im going to become a police officer soon enough and I will be able to carry whatever I like ;) haha )

Back to my point... I now carry almost nothing as I said... or maybe a mini-recon 1 in my pocket.. i figure i wouldn't give a damn if a $25 knife got taken away..

Never-the-less.. I always have a flash-light on me living in this big city.. i know from experience what a blackout is like here and it aint pretty if you dont have a good light on hand ;).. considering I take 4 trains a day.. HAHA.. + lights are NOT illegal, so if your the "tacical-mind" type of person.. I'd suggest buying a good "tactical" flashlight, such as the Olight M20.. special operations varierty.. got the auto-push botton for strobe.. and a NICE bezel to bash some1's face in :)

LATER!!!
Go with a strong, reliable, lightweight, inexpensive folder with a 3" to 4" blade. My favorite is CS's "Voyager" with 4" plain-edge clip point blade, but they are offered in various blade lengths, point styles and edge configurations. Take your pick. All are modestly priced and well-proven. Remove the clip and carry it fully concealed within your trouser pocket. Also, be aware that even after you become a police officer, you will still have to comply with department regulations as to what types of firearms and edged weapons that you can carry. Good luck. Personally, I stay far clear of NYC. There is nothing there that I am interested in and I have no relatives or friends living there. I would rather spend my cash in jurisdictions that support the Second Amendment, not oppose it.

From Drudge's article:
The officer had seen the clip on Baltzer’s pocket, which gave him cause to search him. He found the knife. In Baltzer’s telling, the officer tried to flick it open and couldn’t. He handed it to another officer, who did flick it open after several tries.

No clips/deep pocket carry, cannot lock, cannot be flicked open, and single edged. All of which describes a traditional pocket (slip joint) or swiss army knife. I'm not sure you can flick them open, there usually isn't enough purchase with a nail nick to Spydie Drop it, and banging them on the table like an Opie won't work either.

Rather have it on me and not need it. First-don't use any clips of any kind unfortunately as everyone knows by now. Just carry it in your pocket-sux-but it will be there. Secondly, it's just a tool-not a knife. The laws are actually quite ambiguous, but the clip is hard to get around with regard to their ability to stop you out of millions of people-so just pocket it and not worry!

THanks for the advice so far guys. I've lived in NYC for almost 18 years.. the fam and I plan on leaving soon enough.
but I;ve carried a knife everyday..I always deliberately try to carry something that doesn;t look offensive.
but you never know around here.
any thoughts on an opinel or similar?

Last edited:
THanks for the advice so far guys. I've lived in NYC for almost 18 years.. the fam and I plan on leaving soon enough.
but I;ve carried a knife everyday..I always deliberately try to carry something that doesn;t look offensive.
but you never know around here.
any thoughts on an opinel or similar?
Opinel? Don't misunderstand me, the Opinel definitely has history to it and is a capable knife, but for a concealed folder, I would choose something with a flat Zytel or similar lightweight handle material. Really reduces the weight of a folder that you carry in a pocket. Sypderco, CRKT and Cold Steel offer many such models. Just get one that is moderately priced, so that if it gets seized by the police or you have to ditch it after using it in self-defense, you are not out a lot of money.

self defense is not really my concern, in regards to a knife..so much as general utility, food prep and carving. I know there are allot of great knives out there made of modern materials..
in NYC under current wording of the law anything that can be opened with one hand and locks can be considered a gravity knife at the discretion of the LEO.
Possesion of which carries a criminal weapons charge.

self defense is not really my concern, in regards to a knife..so much as general utility, food prep and carving. I know there are allot of great knives out there made of modern materials..
in NYC under current wording of the law anything that can be opened with one hand and locks can be considered a gravity knife at the discretion of the LEO.

I work in mid-town, I carry an inexpensive Rough Rider 3 blade stockman in my pocket and leave an Opinel style knife at work for eating my lunch.
You can not carry anything that can be considered a weapon.
You mentioned you take 4 trains... NYPD is very busy in the subways. I've been stopped 4 times in 2 years for bag checks.

I used to live here too, but moved upstate 17 years ago. I do like coming into the city every day , but it's nice to live in a knife friendly town

RR,

Just carry deep pocket without it clipped. I would normally tell you not to risk it, but
I cant ever remember someone "working a bus" ever being written up. Safe to say you
would get a pass IME and the fact you use it for work. Besides, frisks have lowered significantly recently.

Tom, Officers have to follow dept. regs regarding firearms, not knives. Officers can and do carry Autos.

I do think the Patrol Guide restricts autos on duty...been a long time since I read it but four friends studing for one of those lucky Saturday test mentioned it is there....

I saw a NYC PO with a Kershaw Leek clipped to his pocket a few months back.
Not really an auto, but I bet it would be considered one if I was caught carrying it.

I do think the Patrol Guide restricts autos on duty...been a long time since I read it but four friends studing for one of those lucky Saturday test mentioned it is there....
Same here in MA. Some departments issue military-surplus M16A1s as patrol weapons (locked in trunk or gun rack) or short-barreled (under 18") 12-gauge shotguns for on-duty purposes only. These are all federally-regulated NFA firearms and if an officer was caught with one of these at home or in a personally-owned vehicle without express authorization from the chief, he/she would be in a world of legal hurt. Knife policy also varies by department. Some authorize autos for duty, but the vast majority of them do not. Most officers carry a common lockblade folder with thumb stud or other one-hand-opening feature.

Riley - I recall someone talking about an NYPD office taking him to task about being able to open a Buck 110 one handed by gripping the blade and using momentum to swing open the handle so traditionals can get you into trouble as well. Granted the 110 does lock but I was under the impression that it doesn't have to open one handed and lock, it seems to me it could be one or the other. Like you said, I think the office will use his own judgement but even if he's wrong, it'll take a lot of effort on your part to go to court and get your record cleared.

Ah the beauty of the P.G..., it counters itself as you know Tom19176. I was refering to P.L. and can't remember the part myself, but do remember reading it states an Officer can carry a "knife" on duty.

NYS PL 265.20 allows for the legal carry by peace and police officers, but the patrol guide has reference to not carrying an auto one....No jail for an officer with one, just less time off that year....and that CD on your record that makes you stay where you are for a bit longer....

would the tops XL05 neck knife be ok in NYC

Blade Length: 2.75"
TOPS-ALRT-XL05.jpg

Back